ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Blood doners (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/440543-blood-doners.html)

Pink Bunny 10 July 2005 01:14 PM

Blood doners

This is probably a SIAL but do many of you give blood?

CooperS 10 July 2005 01:43 PM

Yeah, they run a minibus down to the donor centre from work for us too

boxst 10 July 2005 02:02 PM

Hello

How long does it take? I don't really like needles, but would like to give blood. So I can imagine being okay, and then suddenly getting a bit panicky about it after several minutes. Wimpy I know.

Steve

CooperS 10 July 2005 02:15 PM

Depends on how fast you bleed, they have a timer, if you get to 15 mins they have to stop anyway, I usually piss it out in around 7-8 minutes.

Doesn't hurt much when they put the needle in, basically a tiny bit of pain for a lot of good. The way I see it is, if I needed some blood, I'd feel guilty as hell if I wasn't a regular donor, just because of a moment of discomfort.

Plus you get a tea and biscuits :D

slut4scooby 10 July 2005 02:24 PM

gave blood once a good time ago, and am no longer able to :( due to blood transfusion in hospital few years ago, it isnt that bad and it may of saved my life so i deffo reccomend it to anyone willing, it isnt that bad you could go through worse<<<you could be the one needing blood! go for it you got nothing to lose and all to gain.

Pink Bunny 10 July 2005 02:33 PM

I too am unable to give blood, due to having 3 blood transfusions in less than a week. I want to thank everyone that does, as i would not be here today if it wasnt for those people willing to give up their time to help save others :)

Chris L 10 July 2005 02:40 PM

Judging from the response here - quite a few give blood which is good to see. :)

Pink Bunny 10 July 2005 02:42 PM

See i said it could be a SIAL :D always good to keep up awarness tho :d

steffiraf 10 July 2005 03:30 PM

I'd really like to give blood but i cry like a baby at the sight of needles :(

mattstant 10 July 2005 06:01 PM

both me and mrs mattstant are regulars my donor card has just been upgraded to a red one.
I dont like needles either (Who does?) but i just hold my breath and look away when they stick it in and its all over in 10 minutes

Luminous 10 July 2005 07:12 PM

Why does having a transfusion stop you from giving blood?

Iwan 10 July 2005 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by steffiraf
I'd really like to give blood but i cry like a baby at the sight of needles :(

The IV need doesn't hurt much. If you look away, close your eyes, and think calm thoughts you barely feel it go in. Once it's in you can't feel it at all and you just lie there chilling out while they drain you. Then they whip it out which hurts even less, and you go for a cuppa and a biscuit.

I used to be a bit needle shy but i quite enjoy going now, gives me a good feeling inside. :)

Apparition 10 July 2005 10:53 PM

Gave about 10 pints in my yoof, but can't now due to medication. I applaud those who do though.
Yve

steffiraf 10 July 2005 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan
The IV need doesn't hurt much. If you look away, close your eyes, and think calm thoughts you barely feel it go in. Once it's in you can't feel it at all and you just lie there chilling out while they drain you. Then they whip it out which hurts even less, and you go for a cuppa and a biscuit.

I used to be a bit needle shy but i quite enjoy going now, gives me a good feeling inside. :)

I know what yr saying but i need drugs to get me in there. I can run a 8 sec 100m when a nurse approaches me with anything resembling a needle. Thats from a fat bird, so it must be serious :D

OllyK 11 July 2005 08:21 AM

The actual needle for taking the blood is no big deal, the prick on the finger beforehand to make sure you can give blood (anaemia check) hurts a damn sight more. The main needle is not worse than a sharp scratch.

It's worth doing if you can, it's quick, simple and saves lives!

Jap2Scrap 11 July 2005 08:34 AM

Like I said on the other related thread, I'm on the bone marrow register but I'm not a blood donor. One of the things that puts me off that stems from when I had to have blood tests to go on the BM Register. The nurse taking blood from inside my elbow waved the needle around like a light sabre as she was puncturing the vein, scratching the surrounding tissue and actually going out of the other side of the vein.

Result: A damn long time to draw the blood and a swollen, purple with blood, elbow for a few days. Not nice and bloody painful.

:(

brickboy 11 July 2005 08:54 AM

I thought this was about undercooked kebab meat ;) One day we'll all be doners :D

On topic -- I give blood occasionally. Edited to add that in Denmark, you used to get offered a bottle of beer instead of a cup of tea after giving blood. And you only gave half a litre, not a pint. Civilised country :)

A&E 11 July 2005 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Luminous
Why does having a transfusion stop you from giving blood?

Risk of having been given contaminated blood during the transfusion I think (is it CJD they're worried about?)

I got invited to give every 4 months - something to do with having O- blood which can be given to anyone. It doesn't hurt and you get to feel a couple of pricks every time :)

Luminous 11 July 2005 01:59 PM

Ahhh...that blows out my theory of becoming a donor if I ever needed to have blood :o

I have a good excuse atm, when thats gone it looks like its off to see nurise....