ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   BMW 530i L-reg (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/437718-bmw-530i-l-reg.html)

miles25 28 June 2005 02:58 AM

BMW 530i L-reg

I have been asked to sell my grandads BMW 530i L-reg. I am trying to get an idea of what it's worth? I've seen quite a few about but all seem to have high mileage, this one has only got 63,000 miles and is immaculate - full almost untouched leather, all the electronic gadgets (including aircon) and a full BMW service history.

Has anybody got any ideas what it's worth?

Andy M3 28 June 2005 10:17 AM

Sounds a lovely car - it could fetch up to £5000. Get some pics up and a full spec - would like to see this car !

Andy

brybusa 28 June 2005 11:52 AM

these guys will give you a realistic evaulation..maybe even a buyer

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/index.php?act=idx

Sounds like its an E34 model, sadly, its not worth 5K, more like in the 3.5-4K bracket

J4CKO 28 June 2005 06:24 PM

If its really nice like you say, about four grand, ropey high milers are worth pennies but people will pay for a nice one, like the man said, pics please, whatever you do, dont trade it as the trade will value it at very little, i.e. book - 50% for stuff they dont want, its private punters that want this kind of stuff, you have to get the advertising right, i.e BMW forums.

There is a bit of psychology with mint, older aspirational cars, a doggy old one is just a doggy old car wheras a minter is a time warp, perhaps the buyer wanted one new but couldnt afford one, now they have dropped in price they buy into what they couldnt even hope for in 94, sounds a bit weird I know but how we sold an Austin Ambassador for 1200 quid last year takes some explaining, it was immaculate, 50k and had been garaged due to the old guy being ill and subsequently dying, the family were wondering what to do, about to call the scrap man, 100 quid saved it and it was advertised in Classic car after being recommisioned, i.e. new battery and an MOT and the phone went mad.

miles25 29 June 2005 01:29 PM

Thanks for the info guys :)

It's a manual as well so I take it that makes it more sort after?

brybusa 29 June 2005 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by miles25
Thanks for the info guys :)

It's a manual as well so I take it that makes it more sort after?

No, with a sport model you may find a buyer who is more willing to accept/want a manual box but I dont think they did a 530 sport

RS Grant 29 June 2005 01:35 PM

Aye, I'd like to see pics of this too.... :cool:

IMO it would be valued at around 3k realisitcally.

Cheers,
Grant

XK-R 30 June 2005 12:54 PM

Is it a V8 engine or straight six engine? If it is a V8 then you have the dreaded problem with nikasil liners. Do a google for bmw nikasil cos I can't be bothered to be explain.

£3k tops in my opinion, less if it is a V8.

Jonathan Davies 30 June 2005 12:59 PM

^^ Voice of bitter nikasil experience with that user name?

I think the 530 was a straight six anyway. I'd agree that the price depends on how much effort you put in finding the right buyer.

XK-R 30 June 2005 02:09 PM

Voice of bitter nikasil experience with that user name?
Excellent!! ROFLPMSL!!

No luckily mine has the steel liners now, engine was replaced before I bought it ;)

Jonathan Davies 30 June 2005 03:19 PM

Good for you! I've got an xjr, but it's a 96 straight 6... the XK's a beauty imo.

106rallye 30 June 2005 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
I think the 530 was a straight six anyway. I'd agree that the price depends on how much effort you put in finding the right buyer.

They did a 530 V8 and a straight six if i remember correctly?

Andy

brybusa 30 June 2005 04:21 PM

535 straight 6, replaced by the 530 and 540 V8's

Jonathan Davies 30 June 2005 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by brybusa
535 straight 6, replaced by the 530 and 540 V8's

Oops! I guess nikasil liners are worth watching out for then...

miles25 01 July 2005 01:39 AM

It's a V8

Google search required :)

miles25 01 July 2005 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by miles25
It's a V8

Google search required :)

Wish I'd never done a google search now, it certainly wasn't pleasant reading :(

XK-R 02 July 2005 07:57 AM

Cheers Jonathan, its a beauty :) :D

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Miles :( Best bet is to get it compression checked now really and only run it on Optimax.

Hence such poor price on these cars :(

fatscoobyfella 02 July 2005 08:52 AM

As your 530 is eleven years old,and showing no signs of giving problems with the nikasil liners,it will probably go on forever now...ALL cars werent affected,although there is a massive amount that COULD be..Dont worry about it too much.Put it up at £3000 and see if there is interest..if its mint..and you get a genuine buyer..im sure a deal could be struck...IMHO a manual is less desirable,except in the sport(has had been said)..but i have seen 530's in the past that have been very close in looks and spec to the sport...so it depends what you have there i guess...
Have you a pic or 2..???

cheers