ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   MP3 Player Advice (IPOD Shuffle) (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/435878-mp3-player-advice-ipod-shuffle.html)

NickAdams 20 June 2005 11:57 AM

MP3 Player Advice (IPOD Shuffle)

Am thinking about getting a cheap (ish) player for when I'm running/down the gym.What are the IPOD shuffles like?
Anything else that's good and cheap and below £100?
Is the Itunes software a PITA and is it easy to import MP3's from CD's I have in my car to the player etc? ;)
I guess with the IPODS you can't just drag and drop MP3's to the player ie You have to go through the Itunes program???

Thanks in advance :)

Nick

P.S: Have seen a 1gb shuffle for £79 which is a pretty good price isn't it?

messiah 20 June 2005 12:01 PM

They're probably gonna drop in price as Apple are bring out a 2gb and 4gb versions in the next month or so.

RoosterRoo 20 June 2005 09:05 PM

Hi Nick,

The iPod Shuffle is a good little MP3 player. We have a shuffle, mini, and proper iPod in our house hold, and have had no probs with any of them. There are some limitations (ie, can't play all music files - such as WMA's) but if all your files are MP3's then there's no porblem. You do have to use iTunes to transfer files over but it is a simple drag and drop affair, but you do have to plug the little beastie in to your USB port to charge it.

It might be worth having a look at the sony range as they have been getting good reviews and AFAIK they have a better battey life, and they have an LCD display so you can see what your listening to or what is stored on it.

http://www.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?se...ductSeriesHome

Good luck

Rich

AllanB 21 June 2005 08:55 AM

Make sure who you buy it from knows what they are so if you need any help you get some after sales service.

I know Tescos are going to be selling them soon and I'd avoid them like a dose of leprosy.

AllanB

NickAdams 21 June 2005 09:47 AM

Thanks for the advice guys :)
Is £109.99 a good price for a 4gb mini ipod in silver??
Anything to be wary of with this particular model?

Cheers

Mogsi 21 June 2005 09:56 AM

Seems like a good price that....

Ipod Lounge is a great source of information when it comes to everything ipod...

Neanderthal 21 June 2005 10:03 AM

Where's the place that has got the Ipod mini's for £109? the fiancee wants one (in pink so I don't nick it)

NickAdams 21 June 2005 10:32 AM

Argos have them at £110 for home delivery only (+£5)
Just noticed a little disclaimer on their website description of this particular product:

Please note this item may be ex display or have been the subject of a previous sale. It has been carefully inspected by Argos and is accompanied by a full 12 month guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights. Limited stocks.

I guess the chances are you could get a brand new unit uh?

renault01 21 June 2005 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Argos have them at £110 for home delivery only (+£5)
Just noticed a little disclaimer on their website description of this particular product:

Please note this item may be ex display or have been the subject of a previous sale. It has been carefully inspected by Argos and is accompanied by a full 12 month guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights. Limited stocks.

I guess the chances are you could get a brand new unit uh?

I think that they may be the old version of the Ipod, before apple relaunched new models and colours after christmas

NickAdams 21 June 2005 10:50 AM

Just spoke to Argos who had no info for me (Read waste of space) and then called Apple who told me that the unit from Argos could be an older unit that has 8 hours of battery life as opposed to 18 for the newer versions.He also told me the colours are more vibrant on the newer models AND the buttons ie PLAY PAUSE etc now light up in the colour of the unit when previously they were white!
Apart from that,no difference...
So,is it worth paying the extra £20-£30 for a newer model? :(

class_A 21 June 2005 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by NickAdams
So,is it worth paying the extra £20-£30 for a newer model? :(

I'd say so. You'll appreciate the extra battery life and the newer models charge over USB2 (previous ones only used USB2 for syncing, you needed to use FireWire or the power adaptor to charge the battery).

AllanB 21 June 2005 01:45 PM

www.macwarehouse.co.uk have stac ks in stock and they are new. Apple largest reseller so they know what they are talkling about.

Bit pricier but you pay for what you get.

AllanB

NickAdams 21 June 2005 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by AllanB
www.macwarehouse.co.uk have stac ks in stock and they are new. Apple largest reseller so they know what they are talkling about.

Bit pricier but you pay for what you get.

AllanB

Free plug Allan by any chance?? ;)

GaryK 21 June 2005 05:03 PM

Yes he's the only person on here that seems to get away with promoting his biz I thought mods didnt allow this??????

messiah 22 June 2005 09:51 AM

Are the iPod mini's covers interchangable - I'd prefer a boring white one...

renault01 22 June 2005 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by messiah
Are the iPod mini's covers interchangable - I'd prefer a boring white one...

no i don't think so but you can always get skins that will change the colour