ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Rock concert etiquette (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/435457-rock-concert-etiquette.html)

Chip 18 June 2005 08:25 AM

Rock concert etiquette

Went to see Elton John this week (yeah I know) in the CIA in Cardiff with about 5500 others.

Why do some people who go to these events always get to their seats late because theyve been in the bar even though theyve been given a 5 min warning.

Why do they have to talk to each other all the time( Well they did til I told them to STFU.)

And saddest of all why do so mant people try to take photos on their crappy little camera phones from about 50m away from the stage.What results do they expect to get from that distance.

As for Elton, he was brilliant:)

Chip

NotoriousREV 18 June 2005 08:38 AM

Rock? :confused: Elton John? :confused:

If it was a decent concert, you wouldn't have been able to hear yourself talk never mind others and you'd be up and dancing and not caring about other people. Maybe you should chill out a little?

Chip 18 June 2005 08:44 AM

It was an all seated arena and as at most concerts it takes a while to get people up and moving. As for the talking, it was more like shouting and Yes it was very loud as it should be. As for chilling out, I was, they were told to shut up in the interval, not just be by me but a few others as well.

Chip.

Jap2Scrap 18 June 2005 11:04 AM

Etiquette at most of the rock concerts I attend involves bouncing off each other and ducking the bottles of p!ss flying overhead. Well the outdoor ones anyway. Indoors it's more about hanging onto the missus so you don't lose her in the crowd when the mosh pits form :D

cookstar 18 June 2005 12:22 PM

He he, i was treated to my first "moshing" session recently at a punk gig up London, wow.

5 mins of that lark and that is it.

Wicked fun

Diesel 18 June 2005 12:39 PM

Chip just be thankful you didnt have a tall pink bee-hive wig in front of you ;)

KiwiGTI 18 June 2005 04:56 PM

Rock? Elton John?
Eltons concerts actually "rock" more than most, he and his band are brilliant showmen, which is more than can be said about most modern bands.

Nat 18 June 2005 05:00 PM

Saw Elton and his band in December, they were brilliant, his guitarist is especially amazing :) They all work so well together because they've been pretty much an unchanged lineup for 30 years.

Jerome 18 June 2005 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Etiquette at most of the rock concerts I attend involves bouncing off each other and ducking the bottles of p!ss flying overhead. Well the outdoor ones anyway. Indoors it's more about hanging onto the missus so you don't lose her in the crowd when the mosh pits form :D

Sounds familiar. :D

Except I also have to fend of people with flailing elbows to prevent my gf getting wacked in the face. I've had to dampen the ardour of the odd over enthusiastic fan a few times now.

Have you tried crowd surfing? Well worth it. :D

Tim-Grove 18 June 2005 05:21 PM

Last concert I went to (Chemical Brothers about 3 months back) the crowd absolutely exploded into complete mayhem and hysteria about 2 seconds into their first tune:D:D. And we were that tightly packed in by the time we got out we were soaked to the bone.

NotoriousREV 18 June 2005 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Eltons concerts actually "rock" more than most, he and his band are brilliant showmen, which is more than can be said about most modern bands.

FPMSL, Elton is NOT rock, although I'm not doubting his talent or his showmanship.

As for rocking more than modern bands, I suggest you watch Feeder or The Killers live.

Iwan 18 June 2005 07:26 PM

Eltons concerts actually "rock" more than most

:lol:

Try a Slipknot gig, or Ozzfest etc. :D

KiwiGTI 18 June 2005 09:21 PM

FPMSL, Elton is NOT rock, although I'm not doubting his talent or his showmanship.
No, not all his stuff is obviously, but i used the word rock as an adjective.

His guitarist, Davey Johnstone, is actually one of the most respected rock guitarists around having played for Alice Cooper, Stevie Nicks, Meatloaf etc.

A quote from Alice Cooper:

"Davey Johnstone (guitarist with Elton John) was one of those great players who could play anything. I think if I were going to pick two guitar players that I was going to keep for the rest of my life, it would be Richie Sambora and Davey Johnstone. Davey's one of the great road guys of all time. He will probably still be on the road thirty years from now."
Combined with John Jorgensen (guitar) and Nigel Olsen (drums), who are both regarded as top musicians by the industry, you get a show that really does "rock" because it is rare to see such polished and professional musicians.

I'm not going top argue about what is better music because we all have different tastes and classifications.

As for the Ozzfest comments, my point kind of holds true there too, a large proportion of them are older bands (Iron Maiden etc) and I would consider them metal more that rock too.

STi-Frenchie 19 June 2005 10:46 AM

Elton John? Rock? in the same sentence?

How much did you pay for those drugs? :)

Chip 19 June 2005 03:32 PM

Etiquette at most of the rock concerts I attend involves bouncing off each other and ducking the bottles of p!ss flying overhead.

Well doesnt that sound like fun:(

Chip

Chip 19 June 2005 03:33 PM

Correct.

CrisPDuk 19 June 2005 06:00 PM

Etiquette at most of the rock concerts I attend involves bouncing off each other and ducking the bottles of p!ss flying overhead.

I'm getting Donnington flashbacks:thumb::cool:

Kieran_Burns 19 June 2005 08:31 PM

Donnington?

You went to a village in Berkshire to watch a rock concert???

I bet it was a bit quiet as everyone else would be at DONINGTON ;)

me@the.campaign.to.stop.southeners.m....donington.com

Chip 19 June 2005 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Donnington?

[/email]

My Ma in law lives there. Donington. In lincolnshire;)

Chip

Jamjar 20 June 2005 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV

As for rocking more than modern bands, I suggest you watch Feeder or The Killers live.

I haven't been to a concert for a while are the crowd still all 13yr olds with they're parents stood just behind them?

RJMS 20 June 2005 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV

Or the Darkness... Didn't really think a lot to the Killers - it was on the NME tour and their set was probably the least inspiring of the lot. The Kaiser Chiefs are another really good live band.

CrisPDuk 20 June 2005 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Donnington?

me@the.campaign.to.stop.southeners.m....donington.com

:p

me@help.the.spelling.nazis.are.coming.to.get.me.co m

P.S The, last time I looked Macclesfield was actually classed as being in the North West;)

Brendan Hughes 20 June 2005 09:59 AM

Love the thread title. Isn't that a bit like US Military Intelligence?