ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   wrx abs or no abs?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/434953-wrx-abs-or-no-abs.html)

Physsol 15 June 2005 10:49 PM

wrx abs or no abs??

Got a 96 jap import wrx saloon. Should this car have ABS. If so why can I lock up the front brakes under heavy braking? If it should be ABS is there anything that often goes wrong to knock it off?

RRH 15 June 2005 11:08 PM

does it by chance have black door handles and mirrors? if it does, its an RA and doesn't have ABS. otherwise the ABS is bummed, or you need to change the fuse ;)

scoobfan 16 June 2005 11:24 AM

If you pop the bonnet and look at the lefthand side just behind the headlight,
there should be what looks like a silverish coloured box with small metal tubes coming out of it.

That's the ABS Control unit.

Rob:)

peachy wrx 16 June 2005 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by scoobfan
If you pop the bonnet and look at the lefthand side just behind the headlight,
there should be what looks like a silverish coloured box with small metal tubes coming out of it.

That's the ABS Control unit.

Rob:)

yep thats just what i was gonna say! ;)

Physsol 16 June 2005 09:12 PM

No unit at that location so I figure it hasn't got ABS. Is that odd?????

peachy wrx 16 June 2005 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Physsol
No unit at that location so I figure it hasn't got ABS. Is that odd?????

not really mate.....i haven't either! you must have an ra! does it do 80 mph in 5th at around 4k? :D

Physsol 16 June 2005 09:36 PM

It's not got the adjustable centre diff or a roof scoop or stuff, and it has foglights.

It does seem to have lightweight bonnet and boot.
It has a Z4 ecu.
It has aircon.
Has a jap style sticky label WRX sticker on back

Did the japs do non-abs wrx, or did they do an inbetween model, or a plain wrx lightweight......I don't bloody know!

peachy wrx 16 June 2005 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Physsol
It's not got the adjustable centre diff or a roof scoop or stuff, and it has foglights.

It does seem to have lightweight bonnet and boot.
It has a Z4 ecu.
It has aircon.
Has a jap style sticky label WRX sticker on back

Did the japs do non-abs wrx, or did they do an inbetween model, or a plain wrx lightweight......I don't bloody know!

they did a wrx ra which i think you have! air-con,lecky windows were all available but as extras! i have a roof scoop,air-con,lecky windows and mirrors but no adjustable diff but is based on an ra sti! :rolleyes: but mines a really strange model that hardly anyone knows about! :confused:

RRH 16 June 2005 10:19 PM

do you have black door handles and mirrors? usually a telltale sign of an RA.

peachy wrx 16 June 2005 10:31 PM

this is how a wrx ra should look mate! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/peachywrx/1.jpg

RRH 16 June 2005 10:34 PM

but you have extras like fog / spot lamps (instead of holes) and a rear spoiler, neither of which are standard on an RA ;)

peachy wrx 16 June 2005 10:39 PM

thats not mine! ;) yep thats true mate.......ignore those bits! :lol1: pretty much a standard ra (if they exist anymore) :D

RRH 16 June 2005 10:42 PM

love 'em- I've had seven RA's and STi RA's over the last several years :D:D:D now got the STi4 2.5 thats just been mapped by Bob and is feckin' stunning :D:D:D

peachy wrx 16 June 2005 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by RRH
love 'em- I've had seven RA's and STi RA's over the last several years :D:D:D now got the STi4 2.5 thats just been mapped by Bob and is feckin' stunning :D:D:D

oooohhh sounds awesome mate! would love to get some power like that out of mine! :norty:

Physsol 17 June 2005 08:21 AM

Nope it's 406 silver handles and mirrors. Black plastic sills and rear trim and has fog lights as standard. Low level spoiler. Black and grey interior. 16 inch twin spoke alloys in silver. Previous owner had it imported as such and has not touched it.

But no ABS???

MadDogWRX 17 June 2005 09:36 PM

I have a MY95 WRX with no ABS, iirc it was an option from new.

BenGee 02 July 2005 06:27 PM

Just bought a 95 WRX import too and no ABS unit either but has got A/C, leccy windows, folding mirrors and no sunroof but has colour coded mirrors and handles :Whatever_

Dalthegooner 02 July 2005 09:48 PM

ABS was an option on Japanese classics so not all of them have it

BonzWRX 03 July 2005 09:32 PM

Any clues in the model/vin codes, to do a check