ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Well Thats Just Great Isn't It? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/434551-well-thats-just-great-isnt-it.html)

pslewis 14 June 2005 04:37 PM

Well Thats Just Great Isn't It?

My Gearbox Oil is low ... I need to top it up ... no problem you would think?

Use the same Oil as was put in there at the last applicable service ... good advice!

Now comes the tricky bit ... my Subaru Main Dealers invoice shows 4 litres of Shell SL Gear Oil.

I have hunted high and low for some ... can't find any, so, I ring my dealer to get some more information on the Oil ... guess what?? YOU CAN'T BUY IT ANYWHERE!! :eek:

Apparently, all Main Dealers are instructed by IM to use this Gearbox Oil - and guess who they buy it off, in bulk??

YES, IM!! :eek:

Now, IM don't make this stuff .... they just supply it and everyone creams a slice away from the Subaru Owners wallet!!

Question - what Oil is it?? It has to be commercially available under a different guise??

Can I just put some Syntrax or other high quality gear oil in?? I don't want to change it all - just to top it up!!

Pete

pauld37 14 June 2005 04:51 PM

Seeing as your not bothered what engine oil to use, just stick any old sh1t in the gearbox :D

pslewis 14 June 2005 04:57 PM

Thats different - the Engine Oil is FULLY replaced!!

The Gearbox Oil is a Top-Up!!

Pete

Neilo 14 June 2005 05:00 PM

i guess if its a topup and a full change isnt "too" far away then as long as you know what grade the other stuff is i.e.75w90 or whatever then it cant hurt that much....

pauld37 14 June 2005 05:00 PM

I thought your engine oil argument was that it is all the same stuff, just in different packaging, why should gearbox oil be any different?

pslewis 14 June 2005 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by pauld37
I thought your engine oil argument was that it is all the same stuff, just in different packaging, why should gearbox oil be any different?

Trouble is, you 'thought' ...........................

I deal in facts, not 'thoughts' :D

Hence I am probably the least ANAL on the entire SN ;)

I would, however, like to top-up with the same stuff ...... but I assume that as long as its SHELL then it can't hurt. Different companies use different base-stocks .............. so, it will need to be SHELL I guess?

Pete

vindaloo 14 June 2005 05:59 PM

Have you asked your dealer for a litre of the stuff?

pauld37 14 June 2005 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Trouble is, you 'thought' ...........................

I deal in facts, not 'thoughts' :D

Hence I am probably the least ANAL on the entire SN ;)

I would, however, like to top-up with the same stuff ...... but I assume that as long as its SHELL then it can't hurt. Different companies use different base-stocks .............. so, it will need to be SHELL I guess?

Pete

:D

Oldfella 14 June 2005 06:17 PM

Here's a fact for you. Your gearbox oil level is low. The questions are, was it ever full and if so, where's it gone? :D

pslewis 14 June 2005 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Have you asked your dealer for a litre of the stuff?

My Dealer said they would sell me a litre - bring a container they said.

Sadly, my Servicing dealer is about 55miles away - and I'm going it alone now.

I will contact my 'new' Subaru Dealer 8 miles away ..... but, I don't really trust them at the moment - the Service Team don't seem to know their Jaguar from their Subaru!! :eek:

Pete

pslewis 14 June 2005 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Oldfella
Here's a fact for you. Your gearbox oil level is low. The questions are, was it ever full and if so, where's it gone? :D

I reckon it's splattered all over the clutch plates :eek:

I need to slip the clutch a lot each morning to burn it off, but its cheaper that way :D

Pete

Oldfella 14 June 2005 06:26 PM

Plates, don't you mean plate, if plates that would render it "modified" <shudders> :D

pslewis 14 June 2005 06:27 PM

And theres me thinking it was 2 plates that came together?? :confused:

Pete

Oldfella 14 June 2005 06:30 PM

No wrong, one plate with two sides. You don't get out of it that easy :)

Luminous 14 June 2005 07:08 PM

I actually don't mind Pete trolling in his own thread. It can be amusing. So I will help give you your fun :D

No, hold on, cannot think of anything to say on this one....