ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Views on 406 Coupe (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/434220-views-on-406-coupe.html)

Dazzler 13 June 2005 01:36 PM

Views on 406 Coupe

Are they a good buy ?
Reliable ?
Expensive to run ?
2.0/3.0 v6 or diesel ?

I need a run about for the next year, that will on the odd occasion transport the family (2 kids aged 3 and 5). Don't want it to burn too big a hole in the wallet with running costs, but want something with reasonably good performance and handling.

I keep seeing them and thinking they still look pretty good!

Cheers

Jap2Scrap 13 June 2005 04:05 PM

The V6 is supposed to be underrated. I suppose they'd be good VFM too because of that.

Robert Rosario 13 June 2005 04:11 PM

They always look good value to me. I expect usual french frailness, but I could be overly harsh here, as I have never owned one.

Have heard that 3 litre is not much quicker, but much more thirstier, but I guess that is not exactly rocket science. Also think that the way the back seat is structured, eg two individual rear seats, only two passengers can fit in the back.

They are a very good looking car though.

TonyBurns 13 June 2005 05:33 PM

Speak to Saxoboy, not sure if he had the v6 coupe but he had a 406, same platform but he blew the engine up :eek:

Tony:D

LG John 13 June 2005 05:55 PM

I had the 406 Saloon and in performance terms it was bloody quick! To let you gauge it: from 60mph to terminal it would keep up with classic shape impreza's and that assessment is based on two seperate encounters of that nature and having owned a standard classic myself. Handling on the saloon sucked by the coupe is probably better. Coupe is a lovely looking car but my problem is with reliability from the point of view that I blew my first 406 up then suffered a cam-belt snap on the other. I'd say on that basis that FPSH and proof that the cambelt has been done is very important. 26-27mpg is probably about normal for a driver like me but most people should probably expect nearer 30 as I'm heavy on the right foot ;) The later 210bhp models are more fuel efficient :)

mozzaITA 13 June 2005 07:16 PM

Stop the press!!!.... a friend 'had' one which infct spent 80% of its time at the garage or on his drive many many different problems (mainly engine) and in the end the car supermarket gave him his money back!! Best avoided if you ask me or him!!! BTW he had the 2.016v model which was slugglish to say the least!

s70rjw 13 June 2005 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mozzaITA
Stop the press!!!.... a friend 'had' one which infct spent 80% of its time at the garage or on his drive many many different problems (mainly engine) and in the end the car supermarket gave him his money back!! Best avoided if you ask me or him!!! BTW he had the 2.016v model which was slugglish to say the least!

2 litre is slow 2.2 diesel is fine and 3 litre V6 is quick at around 7 secs to 60. Naff electrics and the 3 litre doesn't handle as well as the 2 litre. Nice looking car but I'd worry about reliability....

aggs 14 June 2005 06:54 PM

My girlfriend of the time. (now my wife) had the 2L as a Company car which I drove quite alot.
It always felt as though it was slowish and the handling could have been better as well. I suppose handling could be tweeked if reqd.
The car always looked good and I would say still looks good in the right colour.,
Do not know if handling on the 3L any better.

Dazzler 14 June 2005 06:56 PM

Cheers chaps. Sounds like a bit of a gamble! I really want something that is going to be pretty reliable for the next year, I can't be doing with the inconvenience of it being off the road and having to throw loads of money at it.
It does look sooo nice though for a relatively long in the tooth car!

Will have to ponder on this one, thanks again for the replies!

J4CKO 14 June 2005 10:25 PM

Get a Saab 9-3 !

wnowrx 15 June 2005 12:48 PM

406 coupe

I own a 3 litre 210 bhp coupe and find it to be very reliable it handles well and has good performance french electrics are not the best but never had a major problem as yet ( i`ve owned seven french motors)

LG John 15 June 2005 07:12 PM

Just be careful with it wnowrx - I've blown up two :eek: :(

jbwrx300 15 June 2005 09:34 PM

Looks nice, drives nice, but depreciation depreciation depreciation.

VAL113R 15 June 2005 10:23 PM

you get quite a nice body kit for them

http://www.mirrorfinishuk.net/picture(jpg)-028.jpg

http://www.mirrorfinishuk.net/picture(jpg)-029.jpg

http://www.mirrorfinishuk.net/page26.html

Originally Posted by Dazzler
Are they a good buy ?
Reliable ?
Expensive to run ?
2.0/3.0 v6 or diesel ?

I need a run about for the next year, that will on the odd occasion transport the family (2 kids aged 3 and 5). Don't want it to burn too big a hole in the wallet with running costs, but want something with reasonably good performance and handling.

I keep seeing them and thinking they still look pretty good!

Cheers

Jap2Scrap 15 June 2005 11:43 PM

Some interesting page backgrounds on that site.. Check out the cars for sale page under Ferrari 355 :eek:

http://www.mirrorfinishuk.net/page26.html

Dazzler 15 June 2005 11:58 PM

Wow! That's a pretty damned good bodykit. Will feel a complete plonker though masquerading as a Feri!

I keep seeing coupes all over the place now and everytime I think they look bl00dy lovely.

I doubt I'd lose much money as I'd only be buying a 2nd hand 98-2000 model. It's tempting to push to the 2001 model though if they have a few extra horses and better mpg.

Will take a peek at the Trader to see what there is for the money. I think they look pretty special in the dark metallic grey.

fatherpierre 16 June 2005 03:02 AM

One of my brothers has just sold a 3 litre. It took him ages to shift and he made nothing on it - he's a car dealer.

He used it as his normal daily ****ter and I had a go in it. Go Mondeo if you want grunt! It's slow. Quite refined but still slow. It reminded me of my M reg 24v Mondeo, but not as quick..........

tozerman 16 June 2005 09:22 PM

406 coupe

They are great cars IMO, I had one last year for a while 3.0v6 98 model auto in diablo red, it was totally reliable and comfortableand costs about the same to run as a scooby in terms of fuel economy.My advice would be to go for the manual box (better economy and performance) and if possible find one with leather interior as you will find it ten times easier to sell.Things to look for:- the v6 has 16" wheels and big brembo brakes so make sure the tyres and the brakes are not badly worn as they are furkin expensive. The v6 can be prone to oil leaks so have a good look under the car for leaks of any kind.Check the cambelt has been changed if applicabe (8 years /80k miles) they are expensive to replace on the v6 so it often gets overlooked.Check for clonking from the rear over bumps, not expensive to sort but very annoying.Forget the 2.0 though it could not pull itself out of bed, if you need the economy go for the deseasel.Only the v6 has 16" wheels (the 15" on the other models look silly IMO)If you buy wisely you will get one of the best looking and refined coupes money can buy and one of the sweetest engines of any car i know.
Do not expect it to handle like a scooby though.....