ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Gearbox Oil - Dipstick (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/433835-gearbox-oil-dipstick.html)

pslewis 11 June 2005 04:12 PM

Gearbox Oil - Dipstick

Hi

I have just located another dipstick under the intercooler - I am assuming its the gearbox oil??

It hasn't got a yellow top so assume its not meant to be checked often? It's hidden quite well too!!

Anyway, the oil smells like Automatic Trans. Fluid ... but is clear.

The oil seems to just about touch the stick, engine/gearbox are cold, level ground ................................

Do I need to top up? What with? Will differring types mix? What is the amount the box takes? (MY00 Classic) .... wheres the drain hole? and where do you fill it up, the dipstick hole?

Slightly worried!

Pete

Triple X 11 June 2005 04:20 PM

Whatever you do remember to disconnect the crank position sensor before firing it up!

dj219957 11 June 2005 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Hi

I have just located another dipstick under the intercooler - I am assuming its the gearbox oil??

It hasn't got a yellow top so assume its not meant to be checked often? It's hidden quite well too!!

Anyway, the oil smells like Automatic Trans. Fluid ... but is clear.

The oil seems to just about touch the stick, engine/gearbox are cold, level ground ................................

Do I need to top up? What with? Will differring types mix? What is the amount the box takes? (MY00 Classic) .... wheres the drain hole? and where do you fill it up, the dipstick hole?

Slightly worried!

Pete

I thought you knew everything pete :) surely if you are able to comment with confidence on some of the more technical issues like engine failures, oils and remaps you should know!?
Careful if you top it up it could break the maf!

pslewis 11 June 2005 04:57 PM

I am just asking what this dipstick is measuring and why ity might be very low??

I DO know most things, but some things I just need some concensus on :D

And you were a fine help! :rolleyes: ;)

Pete

FB Tuning 11 June 2005 04:59 PM

Fookin 'ell Pete?

Last week you went to great lengths advising a chap how NOT to change his oil and filter...

...And now you tell us you've only just found the gearbox oil dipstick :confused:

RTFM - It will reveal all :)

pslewis 11 June 2005 05:10 PM

OK, all sorted ........... it is, as I cleverly reasoned, the gearbox oil dipstick - and it should have some oil on it :eek:

I have also found out that it takes 4 Litres and the drain plug is towards the rear of the car.

Aren't I the clever one :D

Pete

ps. Everyone, who is anyone, knows how to change the foookin' engine oil ..... no mystery there, except for the anals! :D

dj219957 11 June 2005 05:18 PM

Well done peter!

OK, all sorted ........... it is, as I cleverly reasoned, the gearbox oil dipstick - and it should have some oil on it :eek:

I have also found out that it takes 4 Litres and the drain plug is towards the rear of the car.

Aren't I the clever one :D

Pete

ps. Everyone, who is anyone, knows how to change the foookin' engine oil ..... no mystery there, except for the anals! :D

banny sti 11 June 2005 05:24 PM

your blue peter badge is in the post :)

FB Tuning 11 June 2005 05:26 PM

...and the drain plug is towards the rear of the car.

How's that then? - The drain plug is at the front of the gearbox on every one i've looked at :cuckoo:

TonyBurns 11 June 2005 05:29 PM

The gearbox oil should be changed every 2 years, you need to see when it was changed last, if its dropped since 2004 (which should have been the last time it was changed) i think you may have a leak somewhere (good diagnostics for you ;))

Tony:D

pslewis 11 June 2005 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The gearbox oil should be changed every 2 years, you need to see when it was changed last, if its dropped since 2004 (which should have been the last time it was changed) i think you may have a leak somewhere (good diagnostics for you ;))

It was changed in May2004 ........ but I have no idea if it was on the full mark, on the empty mark, or wherever - where would it leak??

Pete

P.S leWiS 11 June 2005 09:40 PM

All depends on what end you call the front/back!:iamwithst

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
How's that then? - The drain plug is at the front of the gearbox on every one i've looked at :cuckoo:

TonyBurns 11 June 2005 09:56 PM

Should be a drain plug on the gearbox, probably directly underneath it.

P.S leWiS 11 June 2005 10:37 PM

So neither end then!:notworthy
Regards

:)

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Should be a drain plug on the gearbox, probably directly underneath it.

paul w 11 June 2005 10:48 PM

Pete,
Dont forget to disconnect the driveshaft to the rear diff then jack the front of the car up and put it in gear and turn one wheel to lubricate the cogs in the box,after approx 17 mins of doing this you then put prop back on and drive it for 8 mins in 2nd gear at 1700rpm and all will be well.

Hope this helps Cheers

P.S leWiS 11 June 2005 10:51 PM

Oh it does IT DOES, IT HELPS TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU A ANAL THREAD SUCKER:hjtwofing
Regards

Pete:)

Originally Posted by paul w
Pete,
Dont forget to disconnect the driveshaft to the rear diff then jack the front of the car up and put it in gear and turn one wheel to lubricate the cogs in the box,after approx 17 mins of doing this you then put prop back on and drive it for 8 mins in 2nd gear at 1700rpm and all will be well.

Hope this helps Cheers

P.S leWiS 11 June 2005 10:54 PM

P.s put over 4 litres of oil in , so it covers the max mark on the dipstick, 4.5 approx. as this helps cover 3rd.