ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Decided im going to tidy my engine up a bit. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/433436-decided-im-going-to-tidy-my-engine-up-a-bit.html)

16vmarc 09 June 2005 06:09 PM

Decided im going to tidy my engine up a bit.

Im going to replace the bolts in the engine for stainless steel items, or atleast the ones that are visable anyway!

My dads just handed me a price list and they range from 10p to around £2, Ive got a feeling this is going to be a lengthy process! Im going to have to take each one out individually to measure them! I just hope none of them shear off while im doing it!!!! (Its happened before! :rolleyes: ) Afterall the car is 5 years old!!!!

john coffey 09 June 2005 06:17 PM

Why?

16vmarc 09 June 2005 06:20 PM

Because theyre rusty and i thought id replace them lol.

peachy wrx 09 June 2005 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Because theyre rusty and i thought id replace them lol.

that sounds like a good enough reason to me! need some before and after pics once you get started mate! :D

fisherpl 09 June 2005 06:38 PM

Stainless Steel Bolts...not a wise choice

Don't do it. You will regret it!

I work with Stainless Steel and I wouldn't recommend putting Stainless bolts anywhere near Aluminium or Cast Iron. Over time they will lock together and you risk not being able to remove the bolt. Worse still the bolt will eat into the Aluminium casting due to galvanic action. Trust me, it does happen!

You'd be better off with BZP (Bright Zinc Plate) bolts. Not as pretty but they won't eat your engine!

If you insist on using them coat them well with Copaslip before installation and check them regularly. If there is any sign of white "fur" around the bolt head it's started to attack the Aluminium.

16vmarc 09 June 2005 06:39 PM

Will do, im really paranoid about shearing the heads off though!!!

pnbond007 09 June 2005 09:35 PM

Paint your nut's red, what's wrong with that ?

Graz 10 June 2005 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by fisherpl

I work with Stainless Steel and I wouldn't recommend putting Stainless bolts anywhere near Aluminium or Cast Iron. Over time they will lock together and you risk not being able to remove the bolt. Worse still the bolt will eat into the Aluminium casting due to galvanic action. Trust me, it does happen!

You'd be better off with BZP (Bright Zinc Plate) bolts. Not as pretty but they won't eat your engine!

If you insist on using them coat them well with Copaslip before installation and check them regularly. If there is any sign of white "fur" around the bolt head it's started to attack the Aluminium.

I put my KnockLink sensor in with a stainless bolt. Should I be concerned :confused:

StickyMicky 10 June 2005 07:32 PM

i used zinc ones on the engine and stainless around the tops of the wings and stuff ;)

once a year i have to take the stainless ones out and polish them back up
this is normally done just before the nbo :cuckoo:

i had not got around to doing this year, it was a job for monday next week
maybe thats why the engine has spat its dummy out and siezed up
pmsl

got all my bolts for free from my last job (aquired them on niteshift)
the stainless ones are being removed for next year and im fitting sumthing else ;) :p

New To Scoob 10 June 2005 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by fisherpl

What he said, the reason you get problems is to do with dis-similar metals, best to fit alloy bolts in low stress areas and go for nickle/cadium plated stell bolts in the others.

John.