ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   STOLEN & RECOVERED VEHICLE (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/433365-stolen-and-recovered-vehicle.html)

LUCKO 09 June 2005 02:10 PM

STOLEN & RECOVERED VEHICLE

just found out that a vehicle i purchased from a dealership 6 months ago has been stolen & recovered in dec 2000.
the only reason i have found out is that the person who was meant to be buying the vehicle has told me.
i have a receipt stating vehicle is hpi clear (this is what garage said)
so my 98 s uk turbo which i had a buyer for at 6500 has now run....

have contacted the garage and they are not interested, they say car was hpi clear when sold!! wan*ers

1) what's the car worth?
2) what do i do next?

ANY INPUT WOULD BE WELCOMED

HOWY 09 June 2005 02:18 PM

It might be worth checking directly with HPI what they said about it to the dealer at the time you bought it. If he has lied then I would expect you could do him.

On the other hand if his definition of 'clear' means not actually stolen at the time of sale you might have more of a problem though he doesn't sound decent to me. You could also have a word with your local trading standards office.

Originally Posted by LUCKO
just found out that a vehicle i purchased from a dealership 6 months ago has been stolen & recovered in dec 2000.
the only reason i have found out is that the person who was meant to be buying the vehicle has told me.
i have a receipt stating vehicle is hpi clear (this is what garage said)
so my 98 s uk turbo which i had a buyer for at 6500 has now run....

have contacted the garage and they are not interested, they say car was hpi clear when sold!! wan*ers

1) what's the car worth?
2) what do i do next?

ANY INPUT WOULD BE WELCOMED

Aztec Performance Ltd 09 June 2005 02:21 PM

Check when it was recorded on HPi reg. If it was recorded before your purchased it you have a very strong case.

A copy of the car advert and/or receipt stating its HPi clear would be handy.

The Trooper 1815 09 June 2005 02:21 PM

HPI will only check for current credit/finance/problems. Yes, the dealer may be right to say itwas OK when sold. But, as HOWY said speak to HPI or a decent dealer. Was it a franchise dealer??

LUCKO 09 June 2005 02:28 PM

IT WASNT A SUBARU DEALER

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
HPI will only check for current credit/finance/problems. Yes, the dealer may be right to say itwas OK when sold. But, as HOWY said speak to HPI or a decent dealer. Was it a franchise dealer??

Silver Knight 09 June 2005 03:53 PM

Send me a PM with the reg no and I will tell you when it was flagged.

EVOLUTION 09 June 2005 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon

i think im right in saying that they will tell you if the car has been stolen, damaged where an insurance company has had to pay out on as well, not just a finance chack

Jon

Peanuts 09 June 2005 07:38 PM

Im 99% sure that my HPI ticket said no outstanding finance, history of recorded damage or history of theft/recovery.

pretty sure, will check

LUCKO 09 June 2005 07:41 PM

HI ALL, WAS A FALSE ALARM (LUCKILY) BASICALLY THE HPI REPORT SAYS THAT THERE WAS A THEFT FOR A PREVIOUS PRIVATE PLATE ON THE VEHICLE WHICH WAS REMOVED BEFORE VEHICLE SOLD ON YEARS AGO, THAT PRIVATE PLATE HAD A THEFT CLAIM AFTERWARDS AND WAS ON ANOTHER IMPREZA

THE PNEIS WHO IS BUYING MY CAR HAS GIVEN ME A NIGHTMARE OF A DAY

THANKS TO TONY BRIGHTON MITUSBISHI

Peanuts 09 June 2005 07:44 PM

lucky escape, well done.
lesson to others though, check what the hpi actually says, dont take anybody's word for it