ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Adhesive for rear lights? (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/433057-adhesive-for-rear-lights.html)

Paulo P 08 June 2005 11:16 AM

Adhesive for rear lights?

Hi

I have some sti lights to fit to my sister's classic. I went to Subaru yesterday to buy the adhesive for the rear lights to seal them but they don't sell it :confused: What have you used to seal the rear lights?

Thanks

Simon C 08 June 2005 02:53 PM

I used rather alot of clear waterproof bathroom sealant. The cluster is still there and hasn't leaked since. once it dried I just used a sharp knife and trimmed off the excess. The worst job is scrapping off all the balck butumen stuff.

Paulo P 08 June 2005 04:03 PM

When someone reversed into her car and broke the rear light I replaced the lense with a brand new one. I tried to seal it using silicone sealer and it never sealed afterwards :( Was this the type of stuff you used?

Simon C 08 June 2005 04:09 PM

I used homebase waterproof sealant the second time I did it. The first time I used some stuff I had lying around, didn't bother reading the label, only when I discovered it was still leaking did I discover that I had used water resistant sealer not waterproof.

Since i've used waterproof sealant, the clusters not leaked since.

Worth checking what type you used.

Paulo P 08 June 2005 04:18 PM

I'll have a look for that then, no idea what I used before because it was about 2 years ago now :o

Do standard lights normally come with some sort of gasket? Subaru seemed to think they do but the one I bought from a Subaru dealer didn't :(

Simon C 08 June 2005 04:35 PM

Mine were held in with about 6 bolts and a ring of black sticy mastic type stuff. When I removed the cluster I scraped it off. No such thing as a gasket in mine.

Paulo P 08 June 2005 05:08 PM

That's what I thought :)

Cheers

alcazar 08 June 2005 05:30 PM

The absolute best stuff, bar none, can be had from (the dreaded) caravan dealers. It's marketed as a "non-setting mastic", and is for sealing caravan trims, fitings, windows etc that might otherwise leak.
Any decent 'van dealer will sell you some.

It's a greyish-white, and in a standard sized mastic tube for a mastic gun.

Alcazar

iain atkins 08 June 2005 07:43 PM

Paul

I may have some to hand, very similar stuff to the above mentioned. You can get it from good bodyshops.

I'll have a look

Cheers

Iain

Paulo P 08 June 2005 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by iain atkins
Paul

I may have some to hand, very similar stuff to the above mentioned. You can get it from good bodyshops.

I'll have a look

Cheers

Iain

That'd be fantastic :D If not then my parents may be able to get some from a caravan place because they are caravanners :)

Thanks

alcazar 09 June 2005 11:43 AM

If not then my parents may be able to get some from a caravan place because they are caravanners :)

ALL the best people are!:D

Alcazar

iain atkins 10 June 2005 09:31 AM

Paul

I have found some, should be enough for you, about a golf ball size of the stuff.

Let me know where to send it etc.

Cheers

Iain

Paulo P 10 June 2005 05:09 PM

Cheers Iain.

I'll send you a pm later on tonight :)

Thanks

alanbell 10 June 2005 07:41 PM

I used black gutter and rainware sealant on my classic it worked,

iain atkins 14 June 2005 11:18 AM

Paul

Posted it out to you yesterday. Looks a bit suspect wrapped in clingfilm, lol, but i didn't want it sticking all over the envelope etc.

Cheers

Iain

Scoobiedan 22 December 2005 03:22 PM

I had a rear light letting water into the boot, scraped the black goo off and used good quality draught excluder.:thumb:

Secondary seal across the top where the black plastic surround meets the bodywork under the bootlid.

scoobymoz 06 February 2006 08:07 PM

i used butyl tape from volvo it's the same as the stuff subaru use on the light's from the factory. it cost less than a tener, it's the best stuff to use because if you use something that dry's then you will never get the lights out if you ever needed to