ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   MY04 WRX power increase. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/432691-my04-wrx-power-increase.html)

scoobyboy1 06 June 2005 10:05 PM

MY04 WRX power increase.

Thinking of mods to do to my car to up the power a bit and was just wondering what mods I should go for and was thinking of doing a full decat and turning the boost up with a Dawes Device, would anyone recommend doing this, and I dont want to get a bigger turbo as I like the low down boost the little TD04 gives, and I dont think a ecutek remap would benefit on just a decat. :)

RRH 06 June 2005 10:20 PM

an ecutek remap WILL improve things considerably. By the time you've invested in a bosst gauge, EGT sensor, lambda and knock-link you may as well have paid for the remap.

the dawes gets reasonable results from earlier cars, but its a relatively crude, and short term, way of obtaining power, and new age cars don't respond that well.

Granby 07 June 2005 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Thinking of mods to do to my car to up the power a bit and was just wondering what mods I should go for and was thinking of doing a full decat and turning the boost up with a Dawes Device, would anyone recommend doing this, and I dont want to get a bigger turbo as I like the low down boost the little TD04 gives, and I dont think a ecutek remap would benefit on just a decat. :)

I would go for a ecutek, my 2004 wrx wagon had a decat uppipe - decat downpipe (i kept the last cat) - ninja backbox & STi panel filter and i got 269bhp & 300lbs torque :)

Neilo 07 June 2005 12:35 PM

did you ever take yours down the 1/4 granby? would be interested to know the times you posted with that much torque....

Granby 07 June 2005 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Neilo
did you ever take yours down the 1/4 granby? would be interested to know the times you posted with that much torque....

Yes i did, first before the remap i got 14.5 then after the remap i only got 14.3 which i was i bit disappointed with but it was one of them days when i just could not get things right (excuses already), should be at santa pod for the jap show now i have a vf34 turbo and another remap :)

Neilo 07 June 2005 01:07 PM

excellent :) i have to say that my best times didnt improve by the much after my remap, but the car still feels a lot faster :P

best thing to do is get some weight out of there!!

Granby 07 June 2005 01:13 PM

excellent :) i have to say that my best times didnt improve by the much after my remap, but the car still feels a lot faster :P

best thing to do is get some weight out of there!!

Agree :) , looks like i might have to loose a few stone :eek2:

Neilo 07 June 2005 03:21 PM

i could do too, but 13.3 doesnt lie......given that your cars supposedly got more torque than mine!

scoobyboy1 07 June 2005 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Granby
I would go for a ecutek, my 2004 wrx wagon had a decat uppipe - decat downpipe (i kept the last cat) - ninja backbox & STi panel filter and i got 269bhp & 300lbs torque :)

To be honest I think that sort of power and torque would suit me fine, and hopefully would keep the car reliable, so looks like ill have to save the pennies again and get a ecutek remap, Had one on my old classic done at TSL and the car flew. :)

Neilo 07 June 2005 04:27 PM

wise choice mate :)

lets face it, it will be a bloody sight more expesive if your engine goes pop due to the decat.

scoobyboy1 07 June 2005 10:29 PM

wise choice mate :)

lets face it, it will be a bloody sight more expesive if your engine goes pop due to the decat.

I didnt think you needed a remap with a full decat, had a full decat on my old scoob for about 4 months before having a remap, and had no problems.

Neilo 07 June 2005 10:33 PM

the classic shape ones seem to respond a little more favourably to decatting on stock ecus than the newer ones.....a mate decatted a bugeye and it just felt gutless anyway, im not saying it would damage the engine, but i dont think it will help it necessarily either.