ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Hotmail still full of viruses then, thanks Trend Micro... not! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/430009-hotmail-still-full-of-viruses-then-thanks-trend-micro-not.html)

SiDHEaD 26 May 2005 08:17 PM

Hotmail still full of viruses then, thanks Trend Micro... not!

Got a suspect looking attachment on my hotmail account from someone on my MSN list.

The little attachments thing on Hotmail said it was "Virus Free". I downloaded it and bam had a load of crap, overwriting my regedit etc.

It was the W32/RBOT-WI WORM!

Moral of the story is Hotmail is still of viruses, and Trend Micro antivirus is utter ****e (it is their name on the Hotmail scanner).

*******s!

darlodge 26 May 2005 11:13 PM

:(

Trend Micro products (Officescan, Server Protect and PC-Cillin) however are all very good, not sure how this missed the checks

Darren

SiDHEaD 27 May 2005 08:20 AM

Odd. My AVG caught it as soon as I opened it.

JackClark 27 May 2005 09:04 AM

We - McAfee - used to do that job for Microsoft. I guess Trend are finding out it's not as easy as they thought.

SiDHEaD 27 May 2005 09:08 AM

We use McAfee on all our desktops at work :thumb:

Scoobychick 27 May 2005 09:29 AM

I wish Microsoft would go back to McAfee, I felt more confident with them. I use McAfee on my pc and I think it's excellent.

andrewdelvard 27 May 2005 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by scoobychick
I wish Microsoft would go back to McAfee, I felt more confident with them. I use McAfee on my pc and I think it's excellent.

100% Agree, tried the rest and now I'll stick with the best.

Iain Young 27 May 2005 09:38 AM

I tried McAfee and had so many problems with it (on more than one machine) that I gave up using it :( Using Panda now, and although it's not perfect, it uses far less resources, and has so far caused me far less grief.

ALi-B 27 May 2005 09:53 AM

Used to use PC-cillin, it was hopeless. Even though it had all the definitions updated it still couldn't detec viruses.

Currently on Kaspersky (after 1 years worth of Norton resource hogging torture), so far so good :)

andrewdelvard 27 May 2005 09:57 AM

Thing with Panda is you can't remove the updater post uninstall. This causes untold number of issues. I had to do a re-install of xp. Couldn't figure out any other way.

Iain Young 27 May 2005 10:08 AM

Strange. I've uninstalled Panda (when I was trying to track down an unrealted problem a while ago), and had no problems at all. At least it hasn't (so far) let any viruses through the net, which McAfee did.

andrewdelvard 27 May 2005 10:40 AM

But I take it you reinstalled Panda soon after removing it? Was this before or after service pack 2?

Iain Young 27 May 2005 10:48 AM

XP Pro service pack 2 installed, and all latest updates etc. The problem was actually in some code I'd written (a service I'd written whilst playing about with some stuff, and I'd forgotten to remove it again). Panda absolutely, definitely fully uninstalled correctly for me.

As an aside, I've also tried McAfee and Norton, and those were swines to get rid of, (left stuff all over the registry which I had to manually delete).

andrewdelvard 27 May 2005 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Panda absolutely, definitely fully uninstalled correctly for me.

Chill! I believe you :D I believe you think it did anyway....;)
Seriously though, did you use the installation CD to remove the client shield? Did you not have to pick at the registery? I don't know maybe I missed a Panda service pack.

Iain Young 27 May 2005 11:58 AM

Didn't have a install cd. I used the internet delivery (download) option when I bought it. Why waste money on cds when you've got broadband :D

p.s. No I didn't have to hack the registry for Panda ;)