ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   AGX + Eibach springs problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/429987-agx-eibach-springs-problem.html)

Creepy 26 May 2005 06:47 PM

AGX + Eibach springs problem

Today my Kayaba AGX dampers arrived fresh from the States (for the record, I live in Belgium...)
But installing them I discoverd that the EIbach springs were too short !
When I put the spring onto the damper and tightened everything, the spring could freely move, so much that you could almost pull the spring out of it's seat !
In that way, when fully rebound (like airborne or heavy jumps...) it could be possible that the spring moved onto the strut and then you better be prepared for a heavy crash !

Are there any other springs (like the bleu Prodrives or so) that will keep some tension, even when you jack the car up ?

For now, I using the original MY00 springs, much safer IMHO...

speedydaveb 26 May 2005 06:52 PM

You did put the longer springs on the back didn't you?
If not, this will be your problem.

I take it is a classic that you have and the dampers are for a classic?

Creepy 26 May 2005 07:09 PM

Dampers and springs were correctly installed, the springs are marked VA and HA (Vorder-asche, Hinter-achse). They are just too short to make a slight tension when the car is fully jacked up, in other words, when the car is jacked up, the springs can move freely up/down and left/right !!!

speedydaveb 26 May 2005 07:58 PM

The front ones on mine don't need much compression admitably, but they don't move around at all!

It sounds like you might have a problem somewhere, the dampers should be part numbers:

No idea about part numbers for the Eibach's though as I got mine second hand off here. Mine are the Eibach Pro-Kit aparently.

Creepy 26 May 2005 08:04 PM

I bought the springs also secondhand (actually it was a gift..° and I think they're tired.
The Classic were they came off was incredibely low....

colin c 26 May 2005 10:18 PM

I have got AGX dampers fitted to my classic with STI Pink springs which are a lot lower than Eibach's and my springs are not loose, I didn't need a spring compressor to fit them but there is no movement once they are fitted.

It sounds like your springs might have been cut down by the previous owner to make them even lower.

Creepy 27 May 2005 07:00 AM

What's your ride height then Colin ?
(Measure from centre of wheel to fender if possible...)

Creepy 27 May 2005 12:45 PM

These are the numbers on the Eibachs : EW 7705001 VA and EW 7705002 HA ...

colin c 28 May 2005 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Creepy
What's your ride height then Colin ?
(Measure from centre of wheel to fender if possible...)

Right just measured the ride height for you,

centre of wheel to arch, front = 325mm

rear = 315mm ( lower at rear due to the ICE install )

My Scooby is on 18's with 215/35R18 tyres so it does look quite low.

Hope this help's,

Colin.

Creepy 28 May 2005 04:53 PM

That's too low for me, I want to go flatout over speedbumps. :D
The standard height was something like 365mm front-355mm rear...