ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Waxoyl (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/427742-waxoyl.html)

JackClark 17 May 2005 01:39 PM

Waxoyl

Bugger that for a laugh. I bought the starter kit hoping to treat the inside of the chassis on my Land Rover. A bit of tube with a nail in the end!! How is that going to turn into a spray head!! Much crap everywhere and a few mouthfulls of white spirt and I took it back to Halfords.

My recommendation, let it rot, it'll be easier to change the chassis.

philc 17 May 2005 08:31 PM

when I used this product about 30 years ago (before they'd invented the term 'starter kits' - all you got was a gallon can of waxoyl), I bought one of those garden pressure pump spray bottles with a long extension spray lead.

So long as the waxoyl was reasonably warm I could happily spray all over the car (inside sills, nooks and crannies in the chassis, door panels, etc).

Worked a treat (and had a rust-free spray bottle as a bonus :) )

Leslie 18 May 2005 02:49 PM

The spray does work well enough and giving your car the treatment makes a real difference to its rustfree life and does a lot to preserve the value of the car.

I gather you realise that the tubing with the nail in the end is designed to go into box sections when you remove a convenient screw. The best way to apply it externally is with a brush.

Les

brickboy 18 May 2005 05:25 PM

You can get big Waxoyl aerosols for about a fiver. It only took two of these to do all the box sections / chassis legs, sills, inner wings and insides of doors on my old BGT many years ago.

If you put the cans in hand-hot water for about 30 mins they spray much better ... you get much better atomisation of the Waxoyl from these cans than you can from the hand-pump kits.

One tip I got was to do the treatment towards the end of a warm day, after leaving the car in the sun all day ... that way the sections should be bone-dry and the Waxoyl seems to stick and 'creep' on the metal much better.

The Waxoyl underseal is the dogs too for exposed metal sections.

The Zohan 18 May 2005 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by brickboy
You can get big Waxoyl aerosols for about a fiver. It only took two of these to do all the box sections / chassis legs, sills, inner wings and insides of doors on my old BGT many years ago.

If you put the cans in hand-hot water for about 30 mins they spray much better ... you get much better atomisation of the Waxoyl from these cans than you can from the hand-pump kits.

One tip I got was to do the treatment towards the end of a warm day, after leaving the car in the sun all day ... that way the sections should be bone-dry and the Waxoyl seems to stick and 'creep' on the metal much better.

The Waxoyl underseal is the dogs too for exposed metal sections.

Agree 100%, also you can thin it with white spirit but not too much.

Leslie 19 May 2005 11:49 AM

Good tips there from Brickboy.

Les

Iwan 19 May 2005 11:52 AM

Standing the can of Waxoyl in a bowl of hot water helps too, then you can use it in a normal spray paint compressor.