ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   how to removing some oil from the system? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/426711-how-to-removing-some-oil-from-the-system.html)

Neilo 13 May 2005 02:49 PM

how to removing some oil from the system?

is there an easy way of letting some oil out of the system? is the best way literally to unplug the sump plug and then jam it back in again?

I need to let about a litre of oil out as there is too much in there!

Paulo P 13 May 2005 03:01 PM

That's the only way. Whilst you have the plug out though you may as well just perform an oil change ;) It's cheap enough to do :D

Neilo 13 May 2005 03:17 PM

if i had enough replacement oil i would, but i just need to get some out of the system as i think its causing problems....service is in a couple of weeks anyway....and the oils only been in there 3k miles.

Paulo P 13 May 2005 03:35 PM

Think it's causing problems? What's wrong then?

Neilo 13 May 2005 03:37 PM

too much in, my CEL lights on so im elliminating problems such as a clogged boost solenoid (which would occur due to too much oil etc) also boost can take a while to build which i believe can be a characteristic of too much oil?

Paulo P 13 May 2005 03:52 PM

Oh dear. Hope you haven't done any permanent damage. Is it a litre over the maximum mark at the moment?

Neilo 13 May 2005 04:20 PM

not sure, no real way to tell, but was going to drain around a litre out then see where it lies....

i hope so too, the cars running sweet as a nut, was when i came down to stokenchurch anyway!

Jay m A 13 May 2005 05:04 PM

If you haven't drained the oil before - be aware that it only dips out right up till the last thread is hanging in, then one more 1/4 turn and the plug falls into the container, and you burn your hand on the hot oil frantically pissing out as you try to retrieve it.

This has never happened to me, honest ;)

Paulo P 13 May 2005 06:09 PM

lol :lol:

aggs 13 May 2005 06:31 PM

and me,with oil running everywhere!!!!

A.P 13 May 2005 07:19 PM

I used a length of gardena watering system pipe attached to a bicycle pump using a a drilled out drip nipple, I reversed the plunger inside the bike pump so that it sucked insted of blew, I sucked out half a litre through the dipstic pipe in about 2 mins

Neilo 13 May 2005 07:46 PM

stupidly ive just checked the oil and now it looks low :p the car has been sat in the garage and not moved in the last week.....im really confused with this...

Floyd 13 May 2005 10:51 PM

Why don't you vent the oil breathers to a catch can?

What is the fault code? I can't remember if you have a decat or not?

Here to help if I can mate :)

F

Neilo 14 May 2005 12:04 AM

i do have a decat and ill find out the error code tomorrow, ill post it up then :)