ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   Liverpool to screw Everton over again 20 Years later (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/425191-liverpool-to-screw-everton-over-again-20-years-later.html)

Funkii Munkii 07 May 2005 01:36 PM

Liverpool to screw Everton over again 20 Years later

20 years ago Everton won the league and were to be our representatives in the European Cup the following season.

Sadly Heyel happened and we were kicked out of Europe for 5 years so Everton didn't get their chance in the top competition.

If Liverpool win the ECL will the FA cave in and allow Liverpool to enter the ECL next season thus screwing Everton again.

You've got to feel for them.

Who should go through

Everton are owed it from 20 years a go so i'll go with them ;)

The irony :D

Phil 07 May 2005 01:55 PM

Rules were quiet clear at the start of the season

European and World Cups are the same

Have sympathy and hope UEFA do change the rules if Liverpool do win

But Everton shouldn't lose out IMHO

16vmarc 07 May 2005 02:00 PM

According to paper yesterday UEFA said they wouldnt????

Redkop 07 May 2005 02:15 PM

Article from the Daily Mirror today

May 2005
FOOTBALL: REDS GIVEN EUROPEAN CUP LIFELINE
By David Maddock
LIVERPOOL were last night sensationally thrown a Champions League lifeline.

UEFA confirmed that if they beat Milan in the final later this month but fail to finish in the top four of the Premiership, then they will seriously discuss the possibility of offering them a place in next season's draw.

Anfield officials had feared that their prospects of joining Europe's elite next season had virtually gone after the FA decided only the top four teams in the Premiership would qualify.

Now, though, UEFA have taken pity on the Merseyside club, despite originally insisting that there were only four places available to English clubs.

A spokesman for Europe's governing body explained last night that there had been a change of heart because they feel the Champions League could be devalued if the winners aren't allowed to defend their trophy.

UEFA's top brass will discuss the possibility of offering a fifth place to English clubs at a meeting in Manchester on June 18 and 19.

If the Anfield club do gain entry into next season's competition after winning it, then they will be top-seeded and given immediate entry into the group stages, forcing both Arsenal and Manchester United to go through the qualifying rounds.

Pbr 07 May 2005 07:16 PM

Getting worried Redkop? ;)

Redkop 07 May 2005 07:22 PM

Not at all, should I be? :D

towzer 08 May 2005 11:05 AM

If they don't win today it's all over and Mr Moyes and his magnificent 11 will be in the CL next year.

Phil

hades 08 May 2005 11:22 PM

Shouldn't the above poll have an option like "Everton, cos they finished 4th and that's the rules"? I don't see how the events of 20 years ago come into it.

NicoRossi 09 May 2005 02:05 AM

Yay we got 4th and Champs league! It'd almost be funny if Liverpool won the champions league so they couldn't come back to defend it. I hope you all get a good signal reception on channel 5 in time for next season. :D

Funkii Munkii 09 May 2005 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by hades
Shouldn't the above poll have an option like "Everton, cos they finished 4th and that's the rules"? I don't see how the events of 20 years ago come into it.

Valid point hades but I was looking at the "possibility" should have used the word I suppose. That would have also made the poll very boring :)

redwrx 09 May 2005 08:38 AM

I'm a red ....but i think that Everton deserve to get the CL place... the rules are clear at the beginning of the season, 4th spot = CL

If Liverpool, are serious about 'potentially' defending a title, they should had first of dealt with Arsenal yesterday....we didnt.

In fairness, Everton deserve it.

Frank

Pbr 09 May 2005 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by NicoRossi
I hope you all get a good signal reception on channel 5 in time for next season.

:lol:

Abdabz 10 May 2005 06:55 PM

West Brom for me - if they finish fourth they should be allowed in... AC milan will win the thingy anyway so the thingy wont matter anyhoo...

pj748r 11 May 2005 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by NicoRossi
Yay we got 4th and Champs league! It'd almost be funny if Liverpool won the champions league so they couldn't come back to defend it. I hope you all get a good signal reception on channel 5 in time for next season. :D

Congratulations,but you haven't qualified for the Champions League yet,you've qualified to play in the qualifiers!if that makes sense,but you deserve the chance to try,coz the table doesn't lie.
Dont really care whether we get to defend it, if we win it,would just like to win it for the 5th time and join Real Madrid and AC Milan as the only teams in Europe to win it 5 times or more:thumb: