ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   job application - they want a photo attached? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/424976-job-application-they-want-a-photo-attached.html)

midget1500 06 May 2005 02:19 PM

job application - they want a photo attached?

hi folks

anyone ever applied for a job where you had to attach a photo?

my sister has just applied for a job with Coke and they want a passport sized photo with the application. She was just curious as to why. Maybe they only employ fit chicks :)

told her to bung in a photo of beyonce!

EddScott 06 May 2005 02:32 PM

I'd also request vital statistics.

Check the the photo, check the stats, check the marital status - Mrs in the bin, Miss shes got a chance.

I guess they want to make sure any new employees have all their own teeth and the required amount of eyes, ears etc..

Andy Hall 06 May 2005 02:36 PM

I thought it was a subtle way (or not) of finding out your ethnic background.

OllyK 06 May 2005 02:37 PM

I have had it requested with council / government type jobs. I have also had a good number of cv's over the years that have had the applicants photo attached. I guess it just helps to form an impression (possibly a wrong one). It may also be to do with ethnicity monitoring

Andy Hall 06 May 2005 02:40 PM

I guess if your going to be customer facing they may be checking your not dog ugly!

Shark Man 06 May 2005 03:12 PM

It is a subtle way to pick and choose based on asthetics.

I have been advised to send a small passport photo paperclipped with my CV - especially if I look good. :D OK I'm not gods gift, but with average slim build, being smart and presentable it is a good move.

Things like piercings, hair stlye, clothing and also size do have a important part to play in job selection. Especially if you have to deal with customers. From an employers point of view; If your a huge fat ugly slob, it doesn't portray much on the company you will represent.

As for coca-cola, well, consider you make a product with 6 teaspoons of sugar in every can and chemicals that cause liver damage in their "diet" drinks....you want to make sure the people you employ and form part of your company image are all fit, slim and healthy ;)

(I'm trying not to be too cynical here - which is hard :D )

Jay m A 06 May 2005 03:35 PM

Its for the HR's dept 'Top trumps' set - fit birds section.

Its so hard to get rid of the minger, apparently

New_scooby_04 06 May 2005 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Its for the HR's dept 'Top trumps' set - fit birds section.

Its so hard to get rid of the minger, apparently

PMSL :)

scooby-si 06 May 2005 03:41 PM

yes i have and that was just for driving a wagon lol

Drunken Bungle Whore 06 May 2005 03:52 PM

I used to work for Christies' and they always asked for a photo with their Grad Trainee applications - most people sent a 'normal' pic, but some felt that they had to appeal to, what they thought, was the Christies' culture. We had photos of people at posh parties clutching glasses of champagne, at the beach house etc. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure there's any real benefit to sending a pic, but some companies just seem to like it - comes down to the individual HR dept at the end of the day.

Apparition 06 May 2005 05:47 PM

I put one on my CV..... purely because I don't look my age and because I'm of mature years,without the pic, they'd probably write me off without a second thought. At least it gives me a fighting chance against all you young things ! LOL

StickyMicky 06 May 2005 09:17 PM

yup when i applied for the carwash managers job they wanted a photo

i shaved my head nice and fresh and popped that annoying spot on my chin ;)

:lol:

Luan Pra bang 06 May 2005 10:41 PM

I always try to get photos if employign people I don't employ mingers unles there is zero chance of them ever being seen by a customer. Impressions count.

carl 06 May 2005 10:55 PM

I also think it might be an underhand way of determining ethnicity. OTOH, I have recruited people and after you've interviewed a load of them sometimes it's difficult to match up the CVs with your memories. A photo can remind you of who was who.

scoobyangel 07 May 2005 07:10 AM

i think its prolly so they know the right person turns up for the interview, and if gets the job, the right person turns up for work!!!
when they are interviewing alot of people it is easy to forget faces!!

supertouring 07 May 2005 07:52 AM

Isn't it a way to link the CV to the person following interviews? More chance of remembering the person using a visual clue rather than trying to link them by name.

We once got a CV in for a single person (french with posh flat) when we were recruiting and thought it was a women. you can guess our disappoinment when we found they were male. A photo would have helped in that situation also ;)