ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Urgent help needed re-starter motor (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/424455-urgent-help-needed-re-starter-motor.html)

rickydiver 04 May 2005 05:55 PM

Urgent help needed re-starter motor

Hi all can anyone help in advising what is involved in removing the starter motor on a my99 turbo (wagon)? It is making a grinding noise on some occasions when i start it up. Local auto electrician reckons it can be overhauled/repaired for £10-£15 but says it will cost £75+VAT due to time involved in removing it. Is it a big job for me to remove myself, I have had a look and it doesn't look too bad but it nevers does!!!! Anyone done this and have any advise I would really appreciate it before I knacker the ring gear!!!
Cheers ricky

Spec'c'57 04 May 2005 05:56 PM

from wot i remember it was rather easy to remove...... but then again the starter was the least of my worries as i changed engine, loom and dashboard..... :D:D

rickydiver 04 May 2005 06:21 PM

Re-Starter removal

Cheers, what I was wondering is does the intercooler need to come out in order to get the starter out of the gap or is it best dropping it down and removing the plastic gaurd on the bottom of the engine??
Cheers Ricky

Spec'c'57 04 May 2005 06:23 PM

easiest would be remove the intercooler.......

rickydiver 04 May 2005 06:25 PM

Daft question but as I have never removed the intercooler, is that a big job??? Must go now as on duty in 10mins will check replies later on cheers for now Ricky

Spec'c'57 04 May 2005 06:26 PM

easy job...... 2 bolts and 2 hose clips.......

highlander68k 04 May 2005 07:02 PM

Definitely as Spec'c'57 says.

Intercooler out, one bolt and one nut holding starter motor, disconnect wiring and away you go.

WR1 Ant 04 May 2005 07:12 PM

Don't forget to disconnect the battery first !!!!!!!!!

rickydiver 04 May 2005 10:53 PM

Starter motor

Cheers Guys I think I will try and have a go myself tmrw afternoon after work, stand by your pc's to help me out if the preverble hits the fan ;)
thanks again Ricky

rickydiver 05 May 2005 10:54 PM

Thanks for your help Guys, I managed to remove the intercooler and starter motor in under 30mins. I was quite chuffed with myself, it must have been easy!!!! All I need to do is put it back when it is sorted.
Cheers Ricky

rickydiver 06 May 2005 05:30 PM

Job done, was a bit harder putting it back on couldn't get the hose from under the intercooler back onto the turbo inlet. It doesn't look as if it is totally flush does anyone know if it should be? I am talking about the one that is tightened via a jubilee clip and sits underneath the throttle linkage area. If anyone has a photo of theres I would be grateful so that I can compare. Thanks again for your help guys!!!
Cheers Ricky