ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Prodrive 330 brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/423964-prodrive-330-brakes.html)

GE90 02 May 2005 07:45 PM

Prodrive 330 brakes

Hi,

I am interested in views from those that have fitted the Prodrive 330 brake upgrade to a newage,

Worth while upgrade?
Pro's and con's?
Costs?
Increases in noise/pedal feel?
Ease of fitment?

Any views would be most welcome.

Thanks!

GE90 03 May 2005 09:51 AM

Bttt

ZIPPY 03 May 2005 10:10 AM

I have fitted a set to my mates MY01 and here are my thoughts.

1= Very easy to fit,But must do a full bleed of the entire system.

2= No additional brake noise over standard.

3= Fantastic stopping power over Standard 4 pots.

4= Cost new isnt good but buy 2nd hand and you will be laughing.

Zippy

C2forWRX 03 May 2005 11:13 AM

will a subaru approved brake conversion affect your insurance policy?

Graz 03 May 2005 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
will a subaru approved brake conversion affect your insurance policy?

Just like PPP it is classed as a mod, so yes you need to tell the insurers. They'll probably put your premium up even though you have made the car safer by fitting better brakes :rolleyes:

Apple 03 May 2005 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Graz
Just like PPP it is classed as a mod, so yes you need to tell the insurers. They'll probably put your premium up even though you have made the car safer by fitting better brakes :rolleyes:

The insurer's slant on that is because you can stop better, then you'll go faster in the first place, hence obviously more accidents... :rolleyes: :(

New_scooby_04 03 May 2005 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Apple
The insurer's slant on that is because you can stop better, then you'll go faster in the first place, hence obviously more accidents... :rolleyes: :(

Possibly, but I think a more likely reason is that: just because you can stop quicker, doesn't mean the the car behind you can!! You'll only know after they've tried to get in your rear seats without first leaving their car :freak3: :)

NS04

fuzzy13 03 May 2005 03:50 PM

I see you guys have the same problem with the insurance companies as we do - make your car safer, your premium goes up.

After I upgraded the brakes, I make it a habit to quickly glance in the rear view mirror to see if the person behind is paying attention and manage your and his brake zone. Makes driving in traffic interesting :)

p1doc 03 May 2005 04:38 PM

i found the prodrive brakes on my old p1 were obviously much better than standard brakes but squeaked in town a lot which was annoying and pads/discs were expensive to replace with brakes having to be taken apart twice in 20,000 miles due to juddering/sqeaks,in hindsight i would have gone for ap 4/6pots or brembos on my sti-much better
martin

nigel s 03 May 2005 05:00 PM

I've been using the Prodrive brakes for around the last 17'000 miles, no problems with squeak, also added goodridge s/steel brakes lines and 5.1 fluid, Excellent brakes, nearly went the AP route but main dealer offered 10% SIDC discount so couldn't resist.

936ADL 03 May 2005 10:59 PM

I've just had this upgrade fitted to my WRX.

It's early days yet, but so far so good, there's certainly a big improvement over the std set up.

robby1 03 May 2005 11:26 PM

news to me,that you need to tell your insurance company about a brake upgrade,told them about 18" wheels at £200+extra a year more on my p1,didnt mention brake upgrade
robbin boggers
next thing will be telling them what tyres you have,certain tyres are better than others :mad:

tath 03 May 2005 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by robby1
news to me,that you need to tell your insurance company about a brake upgrade,told them about 18" wheels at £200+extra a year more on my p1,didnt mention brakes.
robbin boggers

lol try telling them you have a cage...

bizarrely, in my experience, they seem to be more bothered about things that make your car 'safer'. as mentioned, safety=recklessness in their eyes :confused:

Fat Boy 04 May 2005 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by tath
lol try telling them you have a cage...

bizarrely, in my experience, they seem to be more bothered about things that make your car 'safer'. as mentioned, safety=recklessness in their eyes :confused:

That's because an unpadded cage in a road car where occupants aren't wearing helmets and aren't secured by race harnesses is more dangerous than no cage...

I've seen the result of someone stuffing their car with a cage in it and banging his unhelmetted head off the cage. It wasn't pretty - he was very lucky to survive.

GE90 05 May 2005 11:40 AM

BTTT