ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   break pad upgrade (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/422345-break-pad-upgrade.html)

virgin 25 April 2005 08:04 PM

break pad upgrade

hi

wrx04 ppp , 22 k front pads need replacing, garage wants to charge me 130.00 !

i figure i can get uprate the pads for half the price, am i dreaming ?

can anyone suggest the following please ?

pad type
pad cost
Where do i get them from
worth fitting myself ?

many thanks all

corradoboy 25 April 2005 08:10 PM

I've just switched from EBC Red Ceramics, which lasted me about 6k miles :mad: and that's without any trackdays and through winter when brake usage is lighter :( I'm now running Ferrodo DS2000, which IIRC are the same pad that is rebranded as Prodrive for dealers to sell as upgrades. They bite much better than the EBC's (and way better than the OE crap) and work from cold, unlike the DS2500 which can be a little scary until heated up. I got mine for £90 fitted by www.scoobyclinic.com

virgin 25 April 2005 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I've just switched from EBC Red Ceramics, which lasted me about 6k miles :mad: and that's without any trackdays and through winter when brake usage is lighter :( I'm now running Ferrodo DS2000, which IIRC are the same pad that is rebranded as Prodrive for dealers to sell as upgrades. They bite much better than the EBC's (and way better than the OE crap) and work from cold, unlike the DS2500 which can be a little scary until heated up. I got mine for £90 fitted by www.scoobyclinic.com

nice one, tahnks mate....i will go for them !

EddScott 26 April 2005 11:56 AM

What discs are you running with those pads?

Originally Posted by corradoboy

virgin 26 April 2005 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott
What discs are you running with those pads?

im running standard wrx04 discs, will it be a problem with the suggested discs do you think ?

JJC 26 April 2005 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by virgin
im running standard wrx04 discs, will it be a problem with the suggested discs do you think ?

I ordered a set of DS200's from Scooby clinic today £99.00 inc P&P they said they would be fine with standard discs my car has done 25K but discs have plenty of life left in them

EddScott 27 April 2005 09:30 AM

Thanks JJC. I replaced the discs same time as pads bout 6 months ago. Bought the Apec pads becuase they seemed a bit of a bargain at £30. However they seem to have gone off and thats about 6K miles at most I would say.

virgin 27 April 2005 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by JJC
I ordered a set of DS200's from Scooby clinic today £99.00 inc P&P they said they would be fine with standard discs my car has done 25K but discs have plenty of life left in them

Will this be your set after original pads ?

Let us know what you think mate, i will be following suit real soon, couple of weeks

What car are you fitting to ?

virgin 07 May 2005 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott
Thanks JJC. I replaced the discs same time as pads bout 6 months ago. Bought the Apec pads becuase they seemed a bit of a bargain at £30. However they seem to have gone off and thats about 6K miles at most I would say.

where did you get the apecs from ?

thanks mate