ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   05 WRX Wagon compared to 98 Classic Wagon (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/421802-05-wrx-wagon-compared-to-98-classic-wagon.html)

Tim23948 23 April 2005 05:14 PM

05 WRX Wagon compared to 98 Classic Wagon

H'm. Just looked at specs of 05 Wagon. I notice a few things are different to the saloon - in particular the track (narrower) and performance (a little slower). I like the looks and performance of my 98 silver wagon, but have come into a bit of cash (address not supplied), and am wondering wether to upgrade it at Roger Clarkes with remap, exhaust, filter etc...... or to bite the bullet and buy a new 05 WRX Wagon. Could just stretch to PPP with it as well.
Which to do ? Will the new wagon seem underpowered without PPP, compared to my unmodded, lighter classic?
Anyone had a classic and a new wagon to compare, and any wisdom on the different spec to the saloon WRX ??
Thanks.

Tim23948 24 April 2005 08:59 PM

BTTT

Originally Posted by Tim23948
H'm. Just looked at specs of 05 Wagon. I notice a few things are different to the saloon - in particular the track (narrower) and performance (a little slower). I like the looks and performance of my 98 silver wagon, but have come into a bit of cash (address not supplied), and am wondering wether to upgrade it at Roger Clarkes with remap, exhaust, filter etc...... or to bite the bullet and buy a new 05 WRX Wagon. Could just stretch to PPP with it as well.
Which to do ? Will the new wagon seem underpowered without PPP, compared to my unmodded, lighter classic?
Anyone had a classic and a new wagon to compare, and any wisdom on the different spec to the saloon WRX ??
Thanks.

No-one into wagons ???

Avalyn 25 April 2005 09:02 AM

OK. I updated my MY00 to an MY05 .. I ran my MY00 with decat DP + dawes for about 6 months so probably not far off yours with a remap.

My MY05 is a much better car, better built, far nicer interior, feels more solid. The handling is much better and the motor has more grunt at low revs.

Saying that however it's sooo smooth and very quiet (still standard) so I think you'll initially think on acceleration it's quick but you wont get the kick in the back you will do with your MY98. It's not slow just that you don't get the same sensation of speed.

Pretty sure with an MY05+PPP you wouldn't be disappointed :D
Avalyn.

Tim23948 25 April 2005 06:29 PM

Thanks for your advice. Even more tempted now. My "local" dealer is offering 3 yrs free servicing, warranty, 0% finace......
I'm off there tomorrow. I'll see what they offer on mine.

Luan Pra bang 30 April 2006 11:48 AM

save your cash get a re map and an exhaust then invest the spare money until you can afford a porsche or holiday home.

Francis K 30 April 2006 12:47 PM

No contest - my MY03 wagon is miles better than the previous MY96! Both unmodified - the latter has more lower speed torque, the brakes are a lot better and the suspension is more compliant even with the bigger wheels & lower profile tyres. The lights are so much better - especially with better bulbs (even more so with a HID conversion on dip beam!)

Luan Pra bang 30 April 2006 09:12 PM

new ones are heavy and slow but better built. Old ones look better go faster cost less weighless and are in general much nicer.