ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Chops (Pork, Lamb etc) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/421339-chops-pork-lamb-etc.html)

J4CKO 21 April 2005 07:53 PM

Chops (Pork, Lamb etc)

Wife always announces that she has bought Chops for tea like its a good thing, for me a bone covered in fat with a 1 inch square piece of meat in the middle is a waste of time, I suppose it depends whether you eat bone and fat as to whether you like them but for lean meat eaters its pretty slim pickings.

Anyone else find this or are you chop lovers? , any other foods on the more trouble than they are worth list ?

fatherpierre 21 April 2005 07:57 PM

She must be skimping mate. Spend a bit more at a proper butchers and get more meat.

Jerome 21 April 2005 07:57 PM

Aren't you allowed more than one chop? Your wife sounds a bit stingy. ;)

J4CKO 21 April 2005 08:09 PM

Jerome, I have been offered a second Chop but that would double the disection procedure and I dont need the protein that much. Will see if we can get some that dont count as fun size from the butchers, what they really need to do is do a sort of chop shaped burger for me and she can struggle with the cutting and trying to guess what is fat, bone or meat.

corradoboy 21 April 2005 09:02 PM

We get ours from a local farm shop, and the pork ones are often nearly as big as the dinner plate. Lamb obviously are smaller, but I usually have 2-3. Lovely :thumb:

4X4BOB 21 April 2005 09:13 PM

I gotta agree that chops of any description are a fecking pile of sh!te.
The person that first marketed chops must have been laughing his bo11ox off at folk paying money for fat and bone.

Maybe I'm not the norm, but if I want a bit of pork I will buy a whole pork fillet instead of a lump of fat and bone.
Same with beef, its fillet steak all the way.

Bob

J4CKO 21 April 2005 09:22 PM

Bob, you know where I am coming from !

gljam 21 April 2005 09:49 PM

Yep me too, fookin waste of time and don't even taste that great.

the missus swears by them though :rolleyes:

A&E 21 April 2005 09:49 PM

I'm with you on the chops thing :nono:

I can't stand any sort of fat/gristle/skin type bits on meat - even if they are supposed to make it 'tastier'.

Chip 21 April 2005 09:56 PM

Any meat on the bone with a layer of fat around it wuill have more taste to it. Looks like you lot all shop in supermarkets that usually sell ****e meat anyway.

No fat or bone means no taste in my book. I'd stick with ****e like Mc'Donalds if I were you.

Chip

Chip 21 April 2005 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy
We get ours from a local farm shop, and the pork ones are often nearly as big as the dinner plate. Lamb obviously are smaller, but I usually have 2-3. Lovely :thumb:

:thumb: Bit too much effort for most ppl to go to a farm shop. They'd rather moan about eating supermarket rubbish.

Chip

A&E 21 April 2005 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chip
Any meat on the bone with a layer of fat around it wuill have more taste to it. Looks like you lot all shop in supermarkets that usually sell ****e meat anyway.

No fat or bone means no taste in my book. I'd stick with ****e like Mc'Donalds if I were you.

Chip

I know it tastes better when it's cooked with fat/bone, but I just can't stand eating it!!

(All my meat comes from a local farm shop too - hardly much effort to drive in and buy meat when I get the fruit and veg - I never touch da da da da daaaaaaa I'M LOVIN' IT btw :D ;) )

Chip Sengravy 21 April 2005 10:13 PM

always better from the bone, hot pot is not hot pot without lamb neck, lamb chops-just get 3 and eat the main meat. steak? T bone every time :)

Apparition 21 April 2005 10:33 PM

Also, fillet is pretty darned expensive !

Lee247 21 April 2005 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
always better from the bone, hot pot is not hot pot without lamb neck, lamb chops-just get 3 and eat the main meat. steak? T bone every time

Where've you been mate, haven't seen you for ages :D
Oh and I prefer a nice juciy T Bone Steak. Lovely

OllyK 22 April 2005 08:42 AM

Bone is fine in spare ribs, but chops are a waste of space.

Scoob99 22 April 2005 08:47 AM

Me too can't stand the bloody things!!!!!!!!!!YUK

prodriva 22 April 2005 08:58 AM

Pork Chops - Ask for a Pork Loin Chop, no bone decent bit of fat (not grissly) loads of LEAN meat and is deelish.

Lamb Chop - Cant remember the exact name of the cut but basically its a leg of lamb cut into steaks. You get a small round piece of bone in the centre which you can suck the marrow out of (otso-bucco) mmmm deelish with loads of meat around the bone.

Beef - Whilst i'm typing, I recommend the next time you fancy a roast beef dinner, visit your local butcher and get a fore-rib of beef. IMHO its the best bit of beef for roasting.

Chip Sengravy 22 April 2005 09:26 AM

Thank you 84! :luxhello: I've been here :D

messiah 22 April 2005 10:52 AM

Hmm Pork...

We usually get pork loins (?) - not bones in. fry them very shortly just to seal them and into a pyrex dish with boiling water, an onion & an oxo at 180deg for 1 & 1/2 hrs - the fat round the edge just falls off...

here ends todays cookery tip... :D

vindaloo 22 April 2005 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Wife always announces that she has bought Chops for tea like its a good thing, for me a bone covered in fat with a 1 inch square piece of meat in the middle is a waste of time, I suppose it depends whether you eat bone and fat as to whether you like them but for lean meat eaters its pretty slim pickings.

Anyone else find this or are you chop lovers? , any other foods on the more trouble than they are worth list ?

Could be a looking back thing: Maybe she remembers Mum cooking up dinner and serving chops when she was little.

It might be worth finding a good butchers (assuming there are any left).

dpb 22 April 2005 12:24 PM

lamb chop.......good band..:thumb:

speedking 22 April 2005 12:51 PM

I have a similar issue with oranges.

Leslie 22 April 2005 01:57 PM

A small rack of lamb has less fat and tastes really good. Venison is also good and has no fat on it at all. We get farmed venison here for very good prices.

Les