ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Grand Designs (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/421118-grand-designs.html)

SD 20 April 2005 09:58 PM

Grand Designs

:eek2: Stunning. No other word for it.

That is all.

Simon.

unclebuck 20 April 2005 10:06 PM

I saw no evidence of where their income comes from? Do they work? Did I miss that bit?

:Suspiciou

BOB.T 20 April 2005 10:07 PM

70K budget :Suspiciou cheh right, monkeys might fly outta my butt! :D

I'm liking the end result in quite a big way though :cool:

A&E 20 April 2005 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by unclebuck
I saw no evidence of where their income comes from? Do they work? Did I miss that bit?

:Suspiciou

They are both Lawyers.

God what a beautiful house :notworthy

SlimJ_2005 20 April 2005 10:11 PM

Absolutely stunning!!

Don't understand where the money came from, would'e cost them £700k'ish in total... but probably worth more than that.

Couldn't bring myself to sell it though.

Bubba po 20 April 2005 10:13 PM

I agree. The best finished product that's been on.

In some ways, they've thrown money away where being shrewd earlier on might have paid dividends. A profound architectural survey of the place may have cost them initially, but they could have used it to get the house for less in the first place.

Fantastic effort, though. :)

BOB.T 20 April 2005 10:22 PM

I didn't realise they were lawyers...they probably did have a survey done, there'll be a surveyor having his ass sued for about 700K as we type...allegedly, IMHO etc etc :D:D:D

4X4BOB 20 April 2005 10:39 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I missed it :(

Is it a new series and is it repeated?

Bob

J4CKO 20 April 2005 10:43 PM

Nice house and they would make a good profit but from what they said, they cant actually afford it, seemed like a nice couple unlike them London types that were on a few weeks ago, he was called Milko or something, what a pair they were.

Still think the best one was the couple who did the waterworks up, true grafters they were, and what a place they ended up with.

Cant be doing with some of the knobbers on these programs, 'we wanted to create a tranquil meditation space', oh f*ck off, I call it the bog, take the paper, enjoy.

I am doing my bit for my grand design, cavity wall insulation yesterday and jet washed the block paving today, the Hamsters cage (Roto stack, we dont mess about) got moved as well, its all go I tell thee.

Might put a thirty foot high parabolic glass skylight into a steel and reclaimed Joshua tree trellis framework specially commisioned at a cost of forty grand in tommorow, it wont fit, it will rain and all go to wank and cost 80 grand, Jacinta will be at the end of her tether but it will all be worth it in the end.

I would love to do one of those housey makeover programs, whilst they were filming it, near the end when they accesorize the room I would secretly leave a honking great big Dildo on the chest of drawers.

Bubba po 20 April 2005 10:50 PM

Class post, Jacko. :lol1:

sti-04!! 20 April 2005 10:52 PM

Cracking piece of property :)

Dream Weaver 20 April 2005 11:18 PM

Great work, but thought the house was a bit too "showhouse" in the end. Looked all cold, uninviting and unlived in. :D

I was liking the techno stuff though :)

Pongo555 20 April 2005 11:19 PM

Nice house i agree but if they are BOTH lawyers and say that there re-payments are scarey what do you think they are paying for it a month LOL sleep better tonight i think lol not that skint after all !!!

Pongo555

Kevin Groat 20 April 2005 11:33 PM

Jacko, agree, the Waterworks house was incredible for a total cost of £150K:eek:
And that cost included an ace kitchen and bathroom. They certainly got my vote for the best grafters in any of the progs I've seen.

SD 20 April 2005 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
Jacko, agree, the Waterworks house was incredible for a total cost of £150K:eek:
And that cost included an ace kitchen and bathroom. They certainly got my vote for the best grafters in any of the progs I've seen.

Which house was this waterworks one then?

Edit to say just seen it on channel4.com. Looks quite good I suppose.... ;)

tmo 21 April 2005 08:14 AM

Best one has to be the guy who built a house in the shape of a cross from glass and oak , stunning i thought.

Dream Weaver 21 April 2005 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pongo555
Nice house i agree but if they are BOTH lawyers and say that there re-payments are scarey what do you think they are paying for it a month LOL sleep better tonight i think lol not that skint after all !!!

Pongo555

I would hazard a guess that there mortgage payments are circa £4500 a month for an £800k property :eek:

ChrisB 21 April 2005 09:29 AM

£4500? Feck me :eek:

Bodgery 21 April 2005 09:43 AM

My view? A complete mess of a house, in the sense that they'd got too many different styles. Over rustic upstairs (unfinished beams, no skirting boards, etc, etc), over trendy in areas like the bathroom - not at all cohesive as a house. That's a pity, as the basic structure was superb and had real character (cheese room - great!).

The budget increase? Pretty much all down to over indulgence on plasmas, home hi-fi, expensive kitchen (which was v.cramped down the sides with the centre island if you noticed). If that house is worth more than they paid to buy/renovate, I'll eat my hat, esp. in the current market.

Anyone know exactly where it was? Gloucestershire I know, but any more specific? I used to live in Stratford-upon-Avon, so know the area quite well. Top prices for this sort of renovation project were being achieved last year, not now though.

What was there mortgage? I'm guessing:

say 100-200K for the intial purchase (conservative?)
70K for their estimated renovation
230K overspend (making 300K to renovate in total)

400K-500K?

B.

corradoboy 21 April 2005 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by tmo
Best one has to be the guy who built a house in the shape of a cross from glass and oak , stunning i thought.

Agreed :thumb: THIS ONE

ChrisB 21 April 2005 09:56 AM

Rupert - former Scooby owner IIRC

CrisPDuk 21 April 2005 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bodgery
My view? A complete mess of a house, in the sense that they'd got too many different styles. Over rustic upstairs (unfinished beams, no skirting boards, etc, etc), over trendy in areas like the bathroom - not at all cohesive as a house. That's a pity, as the basic structure was superb and had real character (cheese room - great!).

The budget increase? Pretty much all down to over indulgence on plasmas, home hi-fi, expensive kitchen (which was v.cramped down the sides with the centre island if you noticed). If that house is worth more than they paid to buy/renovate, I'll eat my hat, esp. in the current market.

Anyone know exactly where it was? Gloucestershire I know, but any more specific? I used to live in Stratford-upon-Avon, so know the area quite well. Top prices for this sort of renovation project were being achieved last year, not now though.

What was there mortgage? I'm guessing:

say 100-200K for the intial purchase (conservative?)
70K for their estimated renovation
230K overspend (making 300K to renovate in total)

400K-500K?

B.

Initial purchase price £445k Rebuild cost £300k = £0.75M:eek:

I quite liked it actually. If it'd been mine I would have 'accidentally' collapsed it on discovering that rubble pile behind the old kitchen units. I was really impressed with the way they both managed to continually appear chirpy, I'd have been near suicidal:)

Another vote here for the waterworks one, possibly tied with the one in the chestnut wood that the charcoal burner built.

tmo 22 April 2005 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Agreed :thumb: THIS ONE

Thats the one :)

Absolutely stunning, the centre of the house (well all of it really) is simply spectacular.
http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/...y_image11.html
I’ve not seen a new build to match it yet.
And how close was it to the old bungalow !!!!