ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Which is quicker? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/420469-which-is-quicker.html)

BonzWRX 18 April 2005 06:13 PM

Which is quicker?

Impreza WRX stage one modded, or, Mondeo ST220?

Stiver3 18 April 2005 06:25 PM

I would of thought WRX, 0-60 on the new ST220's are 6.8secs and 150 tops, the wrx's being about 6secs and 140+, but someone who knows more could tell otherwise

hoskib 18 April 2005 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by BonzWRX
Impreza WRX stage one modded, or, Mondeo ST220?

if the scooby is red, blue or silver then yes

if it's green or a wagon then no i'm afraid;)

Abdabz 18 April 2005 06:39 PM

To the top UK speed limit of 70mph - the WRX - unmodded - if blue/black in colour - maybe the morettes helped me? :)

BonzWRX 18 April 2005 07:58 PM

Thats what i thought! Some tool at work is saying his 220 will whup my tuned WRX (JDM).
I found a 0-60 time for the 220 of 7 secs, book says 4.8 ish for the WRX, top speed 146mph.
Oh well, that will shut him up.
Cheers all! :thumb:

corradoboy 18 April 2005 08:06 PM

Challenge him on some wet twisties ;) Not that I am advocating racing on the pubic highway :nono:

pete1977 18 April 2005 08:15 PM

the mondeo looks mighty heavy aswell.

New_scooby_04 18 April 2005 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by BonzWRX
Some tool at work is saying his 220 will whup my tuned WRX (JDM).
:thumb:

Erm.....No! :cuckoo:

bigunit 18 April 2005 08:24 PM

raced 1 in my uk turbo standard apart from catback system..no contest to heavy cant get round bends it was a joke not bad in a straight line but not fast enough wrx would kill it

BonzWRX 18 April 2005 09:33 PM

Thank you all, i rest my case!:)

Bubba po 18 April 2005 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigunit
raced 1 in my uk turbo standard apart from catback system..no contest to heavy cant get round bends it was a joke not bad in a straight line but not fast enough wrx would kill it

Ah.... but you didn't have any punctuation to slow you down. ;)

ru' 18 April 2005 10:08 PM

Have a go and let us know the result! Should be a breeze; if the mundano was diesel it'd be a different matter though... :D

rhybeck 18 April 2005 11:03 PM

performance a side a few months ago i see a st220 in bluewater on display its price was the same price as a new sti i know what i would rather have but being a scooby forum your going to get a lot of this :norty: :norty: :p lol

Shark Man 18 April 2005 11:19 PM

Tricky one this, being a v6 you'd expect the mondeo to have the upperhand off the mark, mid acelaration, and with in gear throttle response with not having any lag and having more CC's

But as V6 engines go - that Ford duratech is probably the most gutless V6 I've ever driven - tell a lie the 2nd most gutless, the worst being vauxhall's v6. It's not the fact they lack the low down grunt...but it doesn't seem to want to rev either so its just flat - makes a nice noise though :D. I suppose the gearing has alot to answer for.

Nothing like the essex/cologne V6 engines back in the day. They may of had crap power outputs, and didn't really rev that well...but at least they had some grunt to make up for it :)

So, vs a scoob, as much as I hate to admit this - scoob will win on most stuff as standard, even though it has more powertrain losses, and the annoying lag (and here's the point where somedody will tell me to keep it above 3000rpm then ;) ). Plus I'm sure it has the advantage on weight too.

Although maybe on a 4th gear 50-70mph the mondeo will probably win :p

chrisp 18 April 2005 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ru'
Have a go and let us know the result! Should be a breeze; if the mundano was diesel it'd be a different matter though... :D

iirc new Mondeo ST 2.2 TDCi has 260 lb/ft with an overboost facility upto 290lb/ft all that torque at 1800rpm

rhybeck 19 April 2005 12:13 AM

scoobs are about acceleration and handling if you just want to cruise motor ways buy a fleet car i agree

if you want the coodos
or to decimate fleet cars from the lights (my favourite)type r stylee
or some thing faster than some bikes round country lanes

you know what to buy :notworthy :notworthy

SwishOvBolton 19 April 2005 01:17 AM

what i dont get is people talkin about FORDS bein faster then rally bred car`s and people saying there vectra can whoop subaru , if that was the case , there fastest bred vauxhall vectra and ford mondeo whooping a subaru on a straight or not ,
if i even thought it was possible i would sell my car and get an evo, is this what it comes down 2 nowadays ,

you dont hear people talkin about ford whippin an EVO do you, HOW MANY MONDEOS DO YOU HEAR ABOUT CLAIMING JIHAD ON AN EVO)

FOOK ME EVERYDAY ITS HAPPENIN WITH SCOOB

wtf is happening to subaru .. .. way its goin its gonna be an mg firm in 5 yr

if want the truth scoob should not even make the next wrx less then 300bhp if it wants to keep its heritage

are we coming thing of the past

ru' 19 April 2005 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by chrisp
iirc new Mondeo ST 2.2 TDCi has 260 lb/ft with an overboost facility upto 290lb/ft all that torque at 1800rpm

And the redline at 200 rpm higher, lol :)

And 155ps, 0-60 in 8.7s, and nearly 1500kg.

Is it also fwd?

Shark Man 19 April 2005 10:56 AM

what i dont get is people talkin about FORDS bein faster then rally bred car`s and people saying there vectra can whoop subaru , if that was the case , there fastest bred vauxhall vectra and ford mondeo whooping a subaru on a straight or not ,
What I don't get is people who think Imprezas are bred from the WRC cars.

Subaru made the impreza (or legacy before that ;) ) as a ROAD CAR FIRST....then almost every single component was changed to make it a WRC rally car - not even the chassis survives - acid dipped to make it lighter, every structural component removed and replaced with tubular bracing - find me a scooby built from the factory that is anything remotely like that.

Don't forget Ford have a Focus WRC car too...so the road going Focus must be a "rally bred" car too ;):D

WRBlu 19 April 2005 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man
What I don't get is people who think Imprezas are bred from the WRC cars.

Subaru made the impreza (or legacy before that ;) ) as a ROAD CAR FIRST....then almost every single component was changed to make it a WRC rally car - not even the chassis survives - acid dipped to make it lighter, every structural component removed and replaced with tubular bracing - find me a scooby built from the factory that is anything remotely like that.

Don't forget Ford have a Focus WRC car too...so the road going Focus must be a "rally bred" car too ;):D

Slightly off thread but regarding road cars with rally DNA, theyre all highly modified, maybe our Prodrive freinds could elaborate more. If the Ford is closer to the rally car i take it that i can pop into my local ford dealer and order that 300BHP 4WD Ford Focus then?

Back on thread - ST220 - + Roomy, comforable - Power mostly at the top end, 9mpg average consumption on my test drive!
No contest re performance compared to the Std WRX 03 I bought. WRX significantly quicker.

Subaru - 2 Ford - 0

corradoboy 19 April 2005 01:25 PM

Both cars available for comparison HERE

bgood 19 April 2005 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Both cars available for comparison HERE

Excellent link :)

STi wanna Subaru 19 April 2005 04:03 PM

I just love these threads!

:rolleyes:

Gutmann pug 19 April 2005 04:09 PM

He is trying to winde you up and it sounds like it worked.

Gary

scoobfan 19 April 2005 05:13 PM

Had some doughnut try and take me off the lights in his

V6 Ford Cougar !!!

Funny that:D

rhybeck 19 April 2005 06:42 PM

love the look of a cougar NOT!!!!!!!!!!

DaveR 19 April 2005 09:42 PM

Are you joking with this thread???? I can't make out if you are serious.
The Mondeo wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance, even with a standard WRX, let alone a JDM with a 4.8s 0-60 time.

Can't believe you're seriously asking this ;)

BonzWRX 19 April 2005 10:30 PM

I knew i was right, just some cold hard facts to back me up!:)