ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What Turbo? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/419436-what-turbo.html)

FerryScoob 14 April 2005 04:12 PM

What Turbo?

Hi, I have a 93WRX saloon it has a TD05 but it needs replaced. can i put any turbo of any impreza on or does it have to be the TD05.

Cheers,
Barry.

RoRu 14 April 2005 04:30 PM

You already have a strong/reliable turbo, why don't you get it reconditioned, do a search for Andy F give him a call and see what he can do for you (He lives just outside Edingburgh as well)

A.

FerryScoob 14 April 2005 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by RoRu
You already have a strong/reliable turbo, why don't you get it reconditioned, do a search for Andy F give him a call and see what he can do for you (He lives just outside Edingburgh as well)

A.

Thanks, But i am selling the car so wish to spend as little as poss. on the car. I get no smoke from it but i do get a horrible whinning noise when on boost since i have had the de-cat done. Would a TD04 fit as i am aware they are cheaper to buy.

Barry.

Aztec Performance Ltd 14 April 2005 04:46 PM

Are you sure there is something wrong with it? Whinning can be normal after a de-cat.

Bob

FerryScoob 14 April 2005 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Are you sure there is something wrong with it? Whinning can be normal after a de-cat.

Bob

I get a bit of hesitation from it as well but it's not consistent so have been putting it down to the turbo. The whinning is quite bad. Am not entirely certain it is though. I may see if i can get my hands a standard down pipe to see if this solves the prob. AWD in perth advised that a may be needing a new turbo soon.

Barry

Turbotits 14 April 2005 04:56 PM

The hesitation may well be over boost from the de-cat,They can hesitate sometimes when the ecu pulls the boost down to the correct level.

FerryScoob 14 April 2005 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Turbotits
The hessitation may well be over boost from the de-cat,They hessitate sometimes when the ecu pulls the boost down to the correct level.

I have a turbo XS boost controller and it is set to 14psi so i shouldn't get over boost it is only a slight hesitation.

Aztec Performance Ltd 14 April 2005 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by FerryScoob
I get a bit of hesitation from it as well but it's not consistent so have been putting it down to the turbo. The whinning is quite bad. Am not entirely certain it is though. I may see if i can get my hands a standard down pipe to see if this solves the prob. AWD in perth advised that a may be needing a new turbo soon.

Barry

Did you only start to hearing the whinning straight after de-cat?

If it is knackered the easiest option would be to replace it with another TD05.

I have one for sale if you end up needing one.

Bob

FerryScoob 14 April 2005 05:27 PM

Did you only start to hearing the whinning straight after de-cat?

If it is knackered the easiest option would be to replace it with another TD05.

I have one for sale if you end up needing one.

Bob

Yeah straight after the De-Cat. Had only had the car for a couple of days before the de-cat and it boosted ok then.

Aztec Performance Ltd 14 April 2005 05:45 PM

As you're selling it I would put the OE exhaust back on if it was running okay before.
Bob

FerryScoob 14 April 2005 05:50 PM

As you're selling it I would put the OE exhaust back on if it was running okay before.
Bob

Thanks, Yeah I think i will, just need to get a standard downpipe.

Aztec Performance Ltd 14 April 2005 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by FerryScoob
Thanks, Yeah I think i will, just need to get a standard downpipe.

I have one of them available too!

PM me.