ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Windows workgroup - cant see other machines? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/419338-windows-workgroup-cant-see-other-machines.html)

RichB 14 April 2005 09:48 AM

Windows workgroup - cant see other machines?

I have a network that is working fine except for this one new machine.

The 4 other machines are in the same workgroup, I have added this new machine into the same workgroup but it can not see the other machines.

The other machines can see it. :confused:

Now when I try to view the network through the network places it simply shows nothing.

Can anyone please other any advice on where to look.

I have put it into a new workgroup and tried putting it back again but nothing...

Any ideas? pleeeeaaaassseeee :)

Rich

tomp 14 April 2005 12:57 PM

Need more info about OS s used, especially new machine.

Ensure spelling of workgroup name.
Do a search from new computer for other names of computers.
Ensure IP range, subnet etc. is the same.
Failing that, load Netbeui...

Tom

RichB 14 April 2005 02:33 PM

Sorry,

All machines are XP Pro and fully patched up.
Say I have A, B, C and now D. All Dell Dimensions, ABC are same but D is a new Dimension 3000 cheapo.

A,B and C have been connected up through a 1gb switch for ages and are all in the same workgroup. Now there is a new server on the network but I am in the process of setting it up and it may be causing the issue....( I have tried without the server up as well)

New machine D only has a 100mb nic in it (? problem - shouldnt be...) and has EXACTLY the same workgroup name (I've retyped it enough...)

I can ping ALL other machines on the network from C.
I can get on the internet through the router from all machines including D.
Subnet masks are all 255.255.255.0, IP range is 10.0.0.x

The error is: <workgroup> is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

I am logged as on the admin of this machine (D).

The WINS TCPIP settings are set to default and I've tried enabled NetBIOS. :(

Any help gratefully receveived.

jowl 14 April 2005 02:47 PM

(Windows) Firewall problem?

RichB 14 April 2005 03:26 PM

Damn, meant to say Windows firewall is off.

Has norton installed but with that off it still doesnt work. :(

warrenm2 14 April 2005 04:44 PM

what are you sharing on the other machines - is there a password to the share? assume that netbios node is h type (hybrid ie resolve and broadcast), have you got client services and/or file and print sharing installed in the networking of D?

jhdee 16 April 2005 10:48 AM

BTTT

Very interested in the fix for this one because i have exactly the same problem

cw42 16 April 2005 09:00 PM

I posted up about a similar problem a while ago, but unfortunatly was never able to resolve the issue.
a: dining pc (mine) can see and communiate with b: sons pc which shares interent access, but c: daughters pc which can share internet access, cant be accessed by either a or b !
d: wifes laptop on the wireless bit of my network, sees everyone and shares internet access.
the comment about windows firewall is interesting, as I don't think I've tried that yet :)
will give it a go in the morning,
chris.

King RA 16 April 2005 09:36 PM

turn on 'file and printer sharing' in network properties.

cw42 16 April 2005 09:39 PM

done that :)

RichB 17 April 2005 10:34 AM

me too :(

Barnaby 17 April 2005 02:36 PM

Can you ping the ip address of the other machines? If you can't it is some kind of network problem.

If you can ping another machine but still can't see it in network neighbourhood, try connecting to the ip address. In the start->run menu put in something like:

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Where the 'x' are the ip address.

hedgehog 17 April 2005 03:15 PM

Is there any chance that you have had Zone Alarm installed on any of the machines at some stage?

I had a very similar problem with a machine that had Zone Alarm installed but disabled. It turned out that ZA had some security feature whereby it re-enabled itself under certain circumstances. As I recall even an uninstall wasn't enough as there were still files floating about causing me problems. In the end I had to hunt round the disk and manually delete any ZA references at which point everything came good.

Worth a look I guess.

RichB 17 April 2005 04:04 PM

yeah, i can ping them and connect using the IP address...

Zone alarm has been nowhere near the network.
Only Norton and turning that off makes no difference.
The machine is brand new so there's no nastys on there (in theory ;) - apart from anything Micros**t)

Barnaby 17 April 2005 04:25 PM

Sorry, I didn't notice you had done the ping thing already.

Last thought....Is there anything different about the user or the username/password on the machine that can't see the others?

It's a long shot, but it could be in some way related to the admin user itself.

Barnaby 17 April 2005 04:41 PM

Blimey, you learn something new every day. Just found this:

How do I know I have a browser problem

When you open My Network Places, the computer list you see is obtaining from the master browser of your network. You have a master browser issue if you have the following symptoms. 1) If you can ping a computer name, you can search it, you can map it, but that computer doesn't show or take long time to show up on My Network Places.
2) Net view command shows no lists or shows "System error 6118 has occurred. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".
3) when clicking on Computers Near Me in My Network Places or workgroup name in Entire Network, the following error message may appear: "Cannot Access 'Computers Near Me' " or "Workgroup is not accessible" errors.
4) when click workgroup name under Entire Network Places, you get "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The list server for this workgroup is not currently available."
5) Windows Explorer or My Network Places take a long time to open.
6) Event logs on servers show many master browser election messages.

RichB 17 April 2005 08:27 PM

Yeah, I kinda knew it was this master thing. Just haven't found out how to clear it...

Server is going live very soon which should cure it, it's one of those things where I hate not knowing what the cause/cure is...

Thanks for the help though chaps. It does seem quite a common problem.

Rich

Barnaby 18 April 2005 08:06 PM

If it's not too late, this page gives loads of info on master browser problems:

http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm

cw42 19 April 2005 07:29 PM

Never too late barnaby, thanks for that, added to favs for a read at the weekend :)