ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Spending money on your Scoob - how honest are you ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/419178-spending-money-on-your-scoob-how-honest-are-you.html)

Bartop 13 April 2005 04:35 PM

Spending money on your Scoob - how honest are you ?

It struck me that we all have something in common - We all love our Scoobs and from time to time we feel compelled to spend money her. Whether it be major mods, performance or styling or it could be over zealous maintenance or the little tweak and enhancements which bring us so much joy.

But what I would like to know is what do you divulge to your significant other ? :norty:

Do you faithfully tell everything, discuss the pros and cons and make a joint decision ?
Or do you bend the truth, hide the evidence and just down right lie ? ;)

What's the sneakiest tactics or worst low down trick you've played to hide your infatuation and excesses ? :D :D

Confession is open - talk to me my son... :)

misty 13 April 2005 04:38 PM

Don't need to be sneaky mate! My money, so I do what I like, and buy what I like!!
dave:D

New_scooby_04 13 April 2005 04:41 PM

LOL I don't conceal anything from her....but then I don't always come foward with the info either! :) I don't want/need to know everything she spends her money on as long as she's happy and not running up debts etc... and she should feel the same way. That said, There might not be a "she" soon -non-scooby related reasons- watch this space! :freak3:

NS04

SPIKE LIKE MIKE 13 April 2005 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=Bartop]It struck me that we all have something in common - We all love our Scoobs and from time to time we feel compelled to spend money her. Whether it be major mods, performance or styling or it could be over zealous maintenance or the little tweak and enhancements which bring us so much joy.

But what I would like to know is what do you divulge to your significant other ? :norty:

Do you faithfully tell everything, discuss the pros and cons and make a joint decision ?
Or do you bend the truth, hide the evidence and just down right lie ? ;)

What's the sneakiest tactics or worst low down trick you've played to hide your infatuation and excesses ? :D :D

Been there with the twenty questions,and she never missed a thing!!!noticed every little thing:mad: ,

had the car 1 month and sorted the problem,spanish archer "el-bow":)
no more probs do what i like,as the prev thread its my money!!
might sound like a rite a$$hole to the girls BUT my scoob always makes me smile,feel good and any noise out of it is EXCELLENT:p

Bartop 13 April 2005 05:12 PM

Ok here's a few top tips from me for those that aren't as fortunate as some of these guys ;)

1) Get a seperate Credit Card - one he/she doesn't know about, even better an offshore bank account. Get an online one where no statements are sent home. :D

2) Arrange for stuff to be delivered to your work address and fit them in your lunch hour or one evening when you are supposed to be out with the boys/girls. That way they'll only ever find out about the stuff they can see - if they notice it ;)

3) This is the most important one of all. If you cannot get away with the above *Never* I repeat *Never* tell him/her how much it really cost. As a rule of thumb here the equation is roughly Cost less 50% = Grief less 75%.

So come on guys - share your strategys :D :D

Edited for Political Correctness ;) :)

The Trooper 1815 13 April 2005 05:18 PM

She like's the car too. Always has faith in me, so if I can justify it we get it. (DIKMO (Dual Income Kid's Moved Out))

AshleyJ WRX 13 April 2005 05:20 PM

I just lie through my teeth:)

If she had any idea how much I am spending on the car at the moment she would kill me.

mr & mrs carlos uk300 13 April 2005 06:05 PM

What is it with scoobies, they seem to hold this special power over their owner's, me been included (the wife). Only owned the car for 1mth and already wanting to buy this and that. We used to own a puma before the scoob and i loved that car, but whenever my hubby used to say shall be get a spolier, shall we get new wheel's etc..... i was never up for it and to be honest i alway's winged, but now we've got the scoob i'm the one saying we'll have to buy this and we'll have to buy that, hubby can't believe his luck.

https://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Whistle2.gif

p.s from a woman's point of view.

mrs carlos

medic 13 April 2005 07:23 PM

Nearly always round things DOWN to below the next hundred, usually 'cos I forget the real cost, but we have a joint acc. so if she really wanted to find out, she could.
Intresting what Mr & Mrs Carlos said: Last car it was always,"Drive carefully, watch the tyres, don't forget the cost of petrol, etc", Now it's, "Don't let him get away, pass him, let's go for some ScoobyTherapy etc". Well...................That was BEFORE the accident anyway.

Matt Classic 13 April 2005 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bartop
Ok here's a few top tips from me for those that aren't as fortunate as some of these guys ;)

1) Get a seperate Credit Card - one he/she doesn't know about, even better an offshore bank account. Get an online one where no statements are sent home. :D

2) Arrange for stuff to be delivered to your work address and fit them in your lunch hour or one evening when you are supposed to be out with the boys/girls. That way they'll only ever find out about the stuff they can see - if they notice it ;)

3) This is the most important one of all. If you cannot get away with the above *Never* I repeat *Never* tell him/her how much it really cost. As a rule of thumb here the equation is roughly Cost less 50% = Grief less 75%.

So come on guys - share your strategys :D :D

:)

This is exactly my strategy !! Got caught out just after Christmas though. Ordered a vortex backbox and made the mistake of paying on my debit card. Had it delivered, got it fitted and she didn't even click....until when she paid some money into my bank account for my birthday, some 6 weeks later, only to look on my bank statement for my account details and see the name "Scoobyworld" and £285 beside it .......doh.
Lucky she asked me about it on my birthday and after much explaining she didn't think it was right to have a go at me on my birthday.
Did I learn ??? Nahhhh ;) just got a little wiser !!

cw42 13 April 2005 09:02 PM

Told the missus we were going for a secret weekend away. Totally arranged everything, child care, hotel, pampering for her when we got there. Then while she was having a full massage and a pedicure, I was off to BRD DEVELOPEMENTS for a TEK 3 remap :)
Drove back a bit quicker on the sunday I can tell you :)
Willy, from the smacs, has done a similar thing with his remap by andy f, think I may have started something :)

(I did tell her on the friday night before we went to sleep :))
chris.

Scoob99 13 April 2005 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
She like's the car too. Always has faith in me, so if I can justify it we get it. (DIKMO (Dual Income Kid's Moved Out))

Duel Income (WMKWMO) Wish my Kids would move out GITS:D

Soulgirl 13 April 2005 09:54 PM

It's my car and my money... I took a 2nd job primarily to pay for mods since September 2004. I spend on average 250 a month at the moment :)

Prodrive_Eddie 13 April 2005 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by cw42
Then while she was having a full massage and a pedicure, I was off to BRD DEVELOPEMENTS for a TEK 3 remap :)
Drove back a bit quicker on the sunday I can tell you :)
Willy, from the smacs, has done a similar thing with his remap by andy f, think I may have started something :)

LMFAO!!! :notworthy

GU5 13 April 2005 11:05 PM

Don't marry a bank manager then, my missus knows how much I've spent before I've even taken my card out ;)

GREEN SCOOBY 13 April 2005 11:53 PM

I think we all do the same if the other person is not as interested or does not understand, I recently bought a centre de-cat from Alyn at AS PERFORMANCE, it was £65, she thought £45 to cushion the blow, i even made Alyn promise if she came with me to pick it up that HE would say the price was £45, oh how he laughed at me!

Midlife...... 14 April 2005 12:12 AM

Hmm !! I've tried these :)

APS Front mount is a replacement radiator

3" Revolution Exhaust is quieter so won't wake the baby (due 16th May)

TD05 / 18G is made out of cast iron and stronger

I swapped my 19" kahns for someone who wanted my gold ones

The carbon bonnet improves MPG

And the rest ........... and not a chance of being believed :D

Midlife.....

Playsatan 14 April 2005 03:13 AM

As far a the missus is concerned everything that goes on my car is £25 or less. They're very cheap to run and mod don't you know.

furrydice79 14 April 2005 03:57 AM

DINKY(double income no kids):),, she has her 300 quid bags or whatever and i have my scooby

MJW 14 April 2005 08:13 AM

Told the missus I was taking the car to the dealers as I'd cracked the exhaust on a speed bump - car came back PPP'd - she didn't notice !!

stevem2k 14 April 2005 10:39 AM

Tek 3 is to stop it blowing up

Brakes are rubbish so I need 4pots ( it's a *Safety* thing )

17"s are needed to fit the brakes ( see above :D )

zorst looking rusty .. better get a stainless decat

Still thinking about how I get the new turbo though the door ....

Everything else ( rollbars , strut braces , knocklink , intercooler :eek: , samco's etc etc etc ) was a) a bargain I couldn't pass up and b) about thirty quid

:D

jtabraham 14 April 2005 10:53 AM

Wait till she goes and visits the family and friends(quite regular)
Order everything the night before she goes.
Stuff arrives after shes left and is fitted before she returns.

Alternatively, replace the crappy family car she drives with something less boring eg Forester S-Turbo. All of a sudden shes looking for more power, better handling. Now I dont need to hide what im spending.
Downside is she finds out how much things really cost!

eliot 14 April 2005 06:12 PM

I'm quite luck really, my missus eggs me on to make it look meaner and go faster ;)

The moral of this is to marry a women who is also a car nut :D

eliot:)

Scooby-Mark 14 April 2005 07:02 PM

I haven't spent a penny on mine https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...es/whistle.gif https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...ilies/liar.gif https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...ilies/liar.gif https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...ilies/liar.gif

Mark :)

scoobyboy1 14 April 2005 07:15 PM

Have the same problem with spending money on my scoob, I still live at home with my parents, so when ever I buy anything for my scoob wich costs anything over £50 I have to explain myself why it does what it does, so I try to hide it now by sending parts to my brothers house, I cant be bothered every time I buy something new for them to go why have you changed the turbo, whats wrong with the other one, your wasting your money.

Edmondo 14 April 2005 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by eliot
I'm quite luck really, my missus eggs me on to make it look meaner and go faster ;)

The moral of this is to marry a women who is also a car nut :D

eliot:)

:lol:

Too true mate...Mrs has been trawling E-Bay for stuff for ours.....I am saying "are you sure we can afford it" but thinking "is that all you are gonna buy...I want more and NOW"

v5 man 14 April 2005 08:04 PM

I used to spend thousands on my cars!!!!! Didnt obviously tell the wife, just took out loadsa small loans.
Anyhow, she found out, as they always do!:( Nearly cost me my marriage:(

It feels better now though being straight up with the missus, less mods, but less worries:D