ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Dump Valves yay or nay? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/418719-dump-valves-yay-or-nay.html)

PJ's Scoob 11 April 2005 10:37 PM

Dump Valves yay or nay?

Basic 'Q' Dump Valves to atmosphere, Good Bad or indifferent to performance and if good which ones?

Any advice appreciated. As I know now't :confused:

Comper100 11 April 2005 10:41 PM

:D

Taff107 11 April 2005 10:41 PM

Nay,

Neilo 11 April 2005 10:47 PM

as above, they do bugger all for performance, in many cases can make it worse, and generally are just used to make noise.

Ajax 11 April 2005 10:57 PM

I hear what you are saying, but for some strange reason I still want one.

I really can’t understand why the factory fitted one is so dam good, surly it can be equalled or improved upon.

I just love that “Ker Tooosh” sound

Sorry, it's just the kid in me trying to get out.

Ajax

andydavies 11 April 2005 11:23 PM

Most definately undoutbly a nay. Buy a atmos dump valve next stop Macdonalds car park with the Chav's. No performance advantage and majortiy of joe public would think your an a**e.
But hey thats just me, everyone to their own, I hate these with a passion.

Andy
ps I not bitter honest!

FirebirdUK 12 April 2005 12:19 AM

LOL - I've got a GFB Stealth F/X on order at mo, so I have to say YAY :)

Dunno how I'm going to explain to the wife why the car is suddenly making strange hissing noises... :D

alanbell 12 April 2005 12:26 AM

no to vta , rc yes,

Dave uk blue mica 12 April 2005 12:37 AM

no chance to a vta

RLE 12 April 2005 12:40 AM

I go through fits and starts. Had HKS SSQV fitted then decided too chav so returned to standard............then kinda missed it and now have a Turbosmart one fitted :o

Started to really get on my nerves when I was driving the car every day but now as I only use it weekends not too bad. Plus you only have to hear it when you open her up a bit :thumb:

Probably coming off again next week lol.........:brickwall

ThrustSSC 12 April 2005 08:11 AM

If you're a chav, then "DEFINATELY, YES, ABSOLUTELY, MANDATORY!!!" (It helps us non-chavs recognise you before we even set eyes on you.)

If you're not a chav, then "No, absolutely not, what were you thinking?" (Unless you're an incognito agent of the state investigating chav criminal fraternities.)

Paulo P 12 April 2005 08:25 AM

I fitted one to my Legacy last thursday and I'm already thinking of removing it :o I can't help thinking of rs turbos etc when I change gear :rolleyes:

rossi_p 12 April 2005 09:23 AM

I wouldn't

but each to their own

Peanuts 12 April 2005 09:31 AM

I dont run a dump valve at all

Fatman 12 April 2005 09:34 AM

"Nay", personally. If you have a recirc valve with an induction kit then you'll get some VTA-like noises you seek without the alleged risks that come with using VTA valves.

scoobySTI/WRX 12 April 2005 09:37 AM

Im having a giggle here, how many of you on this thread that has said that dump valves are CHAV are running their cars with aftermarket exhausts ;)

and i bet mostly are bloomin loud

DUMP VALVES ARE FOR KIDS.................

My Daughter loves it :) :) :)

Stiver3 12 April 2005 09:40 AM

Obviously the dump valve has to be atmospheric!!!

But.. there is a whole range of options eg: full on Blitz which will make the ketoosh noise to the full.... or something like I have on my STi Ver III, a forge motorsport 1- perfect noise and tone.

James Neill 12 April 2005 09:43 AM

My car came with a dunp valve fitted. It's coming off today and the original parts going back on. Sounds crap, is embarassing, does nothing for performance and makes me feel like a chav.

Don't bother - give the money to charity. That'll make you feel better.

robertdon777 12 April 2005 09:51 AM

Personally I,ve just purchased my first Subaru MY2001 UK Turbo (classic shape).

Totally Standard when purchased but fitted a dump valve.

With Dump valve: Car makes an amusing noise but a bit annoying after a bit,
seems to hold back a bit on light throttle opening and the intake noise (turbo spinning up) dissapears.

Personally I prefer the standard one, I can here the turbo much more and the car feels alot more responsive (faster pick up on part throttle).

Dump valve now sits in a box in my garage!

Phil555 12 April 2005 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Stiver3
Obviously the dump valve has to be atmospheric!!!

But.. there is a whole range of options eg: full on Blitz which will make the ketoosh noise to the full.... or something like I have on my STi Ver III, a forge motorsport 1- perfect noise and tone.

I run the Forge and I agree sounds just right.

Phil.

messiah 12 April 2005 10:22 AM

I got rid of mine before I developed any other worrying homosexual tendancies...

FirebirdUK 12 April 2005 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by messiah
I got rid of mine before I developed any other worrying homosexual tendancies...

So you had some to start? ;)

messiah 12 April 2005 10:49 AM

Only the one that made me buy a VTA DV in the first place... ;)

something must have stuck though - I bought a pink polo shirt last week... :eek:

FirebirdUK 12 April 2005 10:59 AM

You'll be buying an Elise or an MX5 next! ;)

kilo_4que 12 April 2005 11:01 AM

i actually like the sound but not of all dump valves

theres a certain one which has a sharp tinny noise to it. Pretty loud but i dont know what it is. Some say its a Bailey and others say Forge

God knows what it is but i want one :D

Horico 12 April 2005 11:05 AM

my car came with a HKS SSSV on it and while it does make a noise, it isn't too bad.

Might be the one you're referring to kilo as it's a very sharp noise that isn't too loud or last for bloody ages....

[flame suit]Oh, and not an ounce of 'chav' in me....lol[/flame suit]

kilo_4que 12 April 2005 11:11 AM

Horico the one im on about definately doesnt last for ages but it is rather loud. When in a resdential area it rattles the street. But it isnt a woosh noise. Ive heard it on many imprezas but its a sharp pistony noise lol

Horico 12 April 2005 11:16 AM

sounds louder than mine then....although i only really hear it inside the car.....it's not 'street rattlingly loud' lol

Definately sharp tho

kilo_4que 12 April 2005 11:20 AM

lol no this one u can hear from a great distance but its no woosh

Horico 12 April 2005 11:20 AM

best keep looking then mate!