ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Double glazing prices...... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/418600-double-glazing-prices.html)

talizman 11 April 2005 03:58 PM

Double glazing prices......

Anyone clued up on whats a good price and whats not?

I've always owned new-ish houses and have never had to replace windows so I have literally no idea about price.

My grandfather is wanting double glazing for his house so I got a quote.....

5 windows for £2100 or 5 windows and a door for £2600.

4 of the windows are identical and are basically 4ft x 4ft square and the big window is about 4ft x 8ft. The small windows are split vertically with one opening side. The big window has a centre pane with opening panels at either end.

I know this is pretty vague but does anyone think this is cheap, as the salesman would have me thinking that his family are going to have to go without food for a few weeks cos he's doing me such a good deal! ;)

OllyK 11 April 2005 04:02 PM

OK rought guide - for the basic end - your Safestyle etc, you are looking at up to £500 per unit (fitted). Top end with Everest and the like it can be over £7,000 per unit.

So 5 for £2100 is on the cheapside - make sure they are FENSA registered and it is a reputable (as much as they can be) firm

sti-04!! 11 April 2005 04:33 PM

John i paid nearly 5k for the ones in my old house, though that included a bay window !

I would say that price is :thumb:

talizman 11 April 2005 05:44 PM

Cheers Stephen.

BTW, passed my bike test today! :D

alcazar 11 April 2005 05:56 PM

Did my own with quality units supplied by a local firm at about £255 per 6 foot by 4 foot unit, two openers, and about £600 for a door and two 3 foot square side panels.

Sadly, that route is no longer open:(

Alcazar

amazinggrace 11 April 2005 10:10 PM

What type of Glass units have you been quoted for?

Pilkington K? Toughened? Laminate? Argon Filled?

These extras add alot to the cost of the Glass unit.

Unless there is a building inspector involved you shouldn't need K glass, unless you want it for insulation. Non Tough glass has to be about a meter from the floor (I can't remember the exact measurement) Argon filled is the same as K Glass really, unless you need it for insulation I wouldn't use it. And 6.4 Lam is usually just used in over sized units.

We had an order last week for loads of 6.4 lam Pilks K/6mm Toughened for some really rough estate in Manchester. Cost a bloody bomb.

_Nick_ 11 April 2005 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar
Did my own with quality units supplied by a local firm at about £255 per 6 foot by 4 foot unit, two openers, and about £600 for a door and two 3 foot square side panels.

Sadly, that route is no longer open:(

Alcazar

Yes it is, I still do my own, you don't have to be FENSA reg. to fit windows.

jods 12 April 2005 12:06 AM

Our Front door cost £1500.00

Guess you get what you pay for though. The same company did the rest of the house and the quality of installation and the quality of the hardware is excellent.

OllyK 12 April 2005 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by _Nick_
Yes it is, I still do my own, you don't have to be FENSA reg. to fit windows.

No but it needs to be done under building regs if you aren't. You can just ignore all this of course, which is fine if you never plan to sell the house (and nobody grasses you up). If you do want sell, the solicitor will request FENSA or Building regs for the windows.

Pilkington K is also a requirement under building regs now. Toughned is required it the window comes to within 800mm (IIRC) of the floor.

Some useful info can be found at http://www.double-glazing-uk.co.uk/Englandwales.asp

speedking 12 April 2005 08:57 AM

Seems like a reasonable price. It's the openers that bump up the price. Also if you are having upstairs done then you need escape windows that open wide enough to allow a fireman access.

OllyK 12 April 2005 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by speedking
Seems like a reasonable price. It's the openers that bump up the price. Also if you are having upstairs done then you need escape windows that open wide enough to allow a fireman access.

The salesman for ours told us the same thing, the surveyor (and indeed building regs) say - "as long as you don't make the situation worse than it currently is, you don't need to install fire escape windows"