ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   was this a speed camera? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/416973-was-this-a-speed-camera.html)

zesty 05 April 2005 03:59 PM

was this a speed camera?

Went past a marked police car (estate) that was parked up on my side of the road with its rear facing me. It had some kind of camera in the back of it. There were 2 coppers standing at the roadside about 300 yards from it.

Were they checking peoples speed or there tax discs??

I was going a bit fast when I went past it at the time but didnt get pulled over.

Any ideas as to what they were doing??

yoza 05 April 2005 04:22 PM

If they were male and wearing high heels and suspenders, then they werent doing anything out of the ordinary.

Just the usual, pulling each other off.

Sorry.......

I thought NPRC 'number plate recognition cameras' only hung out the back of transit sized vans, so Im going for Speed Camera.

zesty 05 April 2005 05:29 PM

I was hoping it was a NPRC :cry:

I wonder why they didnt stop me then, seeing as they were stood further up the road in a layby?

steffiraf 05 April 2005 06:17 PM

Sounds like ANPR...nothing to do with speed :)

Lum 05 April 2005 09:19 PM

Though the video vans don't get you pulled instantly either.

Every video van I've seen has been a transit type van, though there could be exceptions. Why not stop and ask them, citing the freedom of information act :)

jods 05 April 2005 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lum
Though the video vans don't get you pulled instantly either.

Every video van I've seen has been a transit type van, though there could be exceptions. Why not stop and ask them, citing the freedom of information act :)

Sorry to say I got caught by the Transit Van Tosspots. Leaving a 40 limit making VERY quick progress into a 60 Limit about 1/3 mile early. Did not get stopped - Did get fine and 3 points :(

al3x 05 April 2005 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by zesty
Went past a marked police car (estate) that was parked up on my side of the road with its rear facing me. It had some kind of camera in the back of it. There were 2 coppers standing at the roadside about 300 yards from it.

Were they checking peoples speed or there tax discs??

I was going a bit fast when I went past it at the time but didnt get pulled over.

Any ideas as to what they were doing??

I had the same thing, but the coppers waiting on the road pulled me over, I was going a little over the limit. They just checked over my car, tyres, tax, lights etc had a producer for my documents etc. Said I had been stopped because it came up that my car had just changed hands, and they check anything that flashes up on the computer. Don`t think you have to worry about it mate.
Alex.

zesty 05 April 2005 10:55 PM

This was definately some kind of camera in the back of the car but it didnt look to be as large as the ones you get in the vans.
Fingers crossed I wont hear any more about it.

Jap2Scrap 05 April 2005 11:10 PM

The cameras aren't really that big you know. 4" square I'd guess. In the back of the vans you can sometimes see the backs of the monitors and readout units which I guess would make them look bigger. In my experience the layby buddies further along are there for pulling suspect ownership (as al3x found out), dodgy looking motors and motorbikes (who usually escape cameras because the jammy feckers can't be ID'd from the front).

steffiraf 05 April 2005 11:25 PM

ANPR am telling you!

dexter 05 April 2005 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by zesty
This was definately some kind of camera in the back of the car but it didnt look to be as large as the ones you get in the vans.
Fingers crossed I wont hear any more about it.

Stop worrying mate, it was definitely an ANPR camera in the back, which has nothing to do with speeders. Chill out.

GC8 05 April 2005 11:27 PM

Some traffic patrol cars have them (ANPR) mounted behind the windscreen; theyre no larger than the first ProVida cameras were.

Simon