ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Ebay, what a pile of poo!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/416919-ebay-what-a-pile-of-poo.html)

Gav1 05 April 2005 12:47 PM

Ebay, what a pile of poo!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...539623101&rd=1

Got my wifes car on at the moment, about 4 hours left.

It really annoys me how everybody on there seems to want something for nothing!! They want to start bidding at £100 for a 4k car, numptys!!

There are no real bargains to be had like everyone bleats on about. You get what you pay for!! Pay a pitance and get shoddy goods, pay the expected price and you may get a genuine article.

Looks like this ad' was another waste of my time and money!!

Never mind. Rant over.:Whatever_

Gav.

DJ Dunk 05 April 2005 12:50 PM

My eBay pet hate . . . when you purchase something but the seller doesn't leave you feedback until you leave feedback for them :mad: . . . hang on . . . I've paid upfront and fulfilled my part of the deal, why wait to see what I say about you before leaving me feedback ? Winkers :mad:

Tiggs 05 April 2005 12:52 PM

dont understand the reserve? Just put the start price at the lowest you will take.

Vette_76 05 April 2005 12:53 PM

My pet hate regarding eBay is that I didn't come up with it first!!

:mad::D

Gav1 05 April 2005 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggs
dont understand the reserve? Just put the start price at the lowest you will take.

Tiggs, the lower start price is there to supposedly encourage people to bid, at the beginning no one is aware of your reserve price.
Due to my missus answering the latest question on the screen she has now basically told everbody what price she is looking for, Doh!!

carl 05 April 2005 01:00 PM

Seeing as you've set a reserve price, why didn't you start the bidding at £1?

OllyK 05 April 2005 01:02 PM

I appreciate the low mileage, but after a quick look on Parkers, you seem to be asking over the odds, even at your reserve.

Gav1 05 April 2005 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by carl
Seeing as you've set a reserve price, why didn't you start the bidding at £1?

Just being realistic a suppose!!

PCatWork 05 April 2005 01:04 PM

1998 Vauxhall Tigra - £4,000

Spot the obvious mistake. :rolleyes:

Gav1 05 April 2005 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK
I appreciate the low mileage, but after a quick look on Parkers, you seem to be asking over the odds, even at your reserve.

Olly, what do Parkers say it should be going for??

Garages around here have got them on with higher mileage at 4.5k - 5k.

carl 05 April 2005 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gav1
Just being realistic a suppose!!

You need to understand the psychology of bidding. Either do as Tiggs suggests (personally I've had little success this way) or take a leap of faith and start at £1 with no reserve. People will start off thinking they can get a bargain, then get sucked into the bidding process. I bought a battery charger on there recently for £23, but I ended up with two. I relisted one of them at £1 starting price, no reserve, and got £40 for it (theyr'e only £45 from an official supplier with warranty, etc.)

OllyK 05 April 2005 01:08 PM

Olly, what do Parkers say it should be going for??

Trade - circa £3200
Private sale - circa £2800

Appreciate your mileage is about half what would be expected for the age.

Seems to be some disparity on prices between your local dealers and parkers.

Gav1 05 April 2005 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by PCatWork
1998 Vauxhall Tigra - £4,000

Spot the obvious mistake. :rolleyes:

And your point is...........take a look in the Autotrader...fool.

PCatWork 05 April 2005 01:09 PM

You can't compare the screen price on a car on a forecourt to what you can realistically get in a private sale.

a) The dealer probably won't achieve the screen price
b) You're not a dealer

PCatWork 05 April 2005 01:11 PM

And your point is...........take a look in the Autotrader...fool.

Gav - If you manage to get £4k or near that for it, then fair play to you. I just don't think it's a realistic price, that's all.

Low mileage doesn't make all that much difference when the car is 6 or 7 years old.

Gav1 05 April 2005 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by PCatWork
You can't compare the screen price on a car on a forecourt to what you can realistically get in a private sale.

a) The dealer probably won't achieve the screen price
b) You're not a dealer

Which is why im not asking 4.5k - 5k.

Im asking for a minimum 4k. With very low miles, fsh and faultless bodywork.

I've also seen private sales that compare to this for higher mileage models.

fatherpierre 05 April 2005 01:16 PM

You rarely get the full book value on ebay unless the car's rare - yours isn't!

Tiggs 05 April 2005 01:19 PM

sold 3 cars on there very easily from 3k to 20k...just put the price i wanted and set no reserve.

T

OllyK 05 April 2005 01:19 PM

Well NetworkQ are asking well over Parker's prices - no idea what they are actually selling them for though: http://vauxhall.co.uk/networkQ/vehic...ehicleType=Car

Gav1 05 April 2005 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggs
sold 3 cars on there very easily from 3k to 20k...just put the price i wanted and set no reserve.

T

Cheers Tiggs, maybe i will try it this way if i have no luck this time.

dtriggs 05 April 2005 01:24 PM

Looking in Autotrader there are a number of similar cars with similar mileage at around £3995 - so I would suggest you are a bit ambitious.

Also if you took it to the local auction house what would you expect to get ? Surely Ebay is going to be no better than that ? £2500-3000 max I would think in an auction.

Gav1 05 April 2005 01:25 PM

1999- 34.5k- £4995- Network Q

Appreciate that this is Network Q but the prices are still way higher than anything i'm asking for!!

mrfuzzyfelts 05 April 2005 01:26 PM

mate your feedback dont really help you!!

I wouldnt buy a car off someone with 0 feedback :-S

Ive sold 3 cars and got really good prices but i have over 600+ feedback so it does help alot!

carl 05 April 2005 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mrfuzzyfelts

Why not? We all have to start somewhere. You have no "feedback" to judge ads in the Autotrader. And anyway, it's not like you'll pay and they'll do a runner with the money and not ship the car. You get a chance to inspect it before parting with the money, so if it's not as described you can walk.

Gav1 05 April 2005 01:29 PM

Ive sold 3 cars and got really good prices but i have over 600+ feedback so it does help alot!

Can't do nothing about that.......first time i've sold anything on E.bay.

Doesn't make me a con man cos i've never sold anything on there before.

BOB.T 05 April 2005 01:48 PM

I've got mine on there too, here I've had two people email me and ask how much I want for it! :rolleyes: It's an auction, how hard can it be? :Suspiciou

Spoon 05 April 2005 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
My eBay pet hate . . . when you purchase something but the seller doesn't leave you feedback until you leave feedback for them :mad: . . . hang on . . . I've paid upfront and fulfilled my part of the deal, why wait to see what I say about you before leaving me feedback ? Winkers :mad:

2 things you are missing here though, feedback is purely optional and a lot of sellers (particularly Powersellers) use SMP on eBay, and due to the large amount of daily sales, have feedback set to only reply once a buyer has left +ve.
There is no manual feedback input at all except in the setting up beforehand.

On the subject of the car then I personally would say reserves are pointless.
Start at or very near to a figure you would accept and you might just be surprised when a couple of bidders battle between themselves.

Taking your home phone number out of the auction might be a good move too.

Tiggs 05 April 2005 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I've got mine on there too, here I've had two people email me and ask how much I want for it! :rolleyes: It's an auction, how hard can it be? :Suspiciou

whats the problem? just email them a price you would be happy with....sold- easy!

Spoon 05 April 2005 02:21 PM

The 0 feedback has no negative impact in this case at all. I suspect you just wanted to tell us all you had 600.:rolleyes:

Too much emphasis is put on 0 feedback, everyone starts there after all.

Negative feedback for non paying and misrepresenting items etc are the ones to watch, and only then can such comments be trusted if they were left by a decent person in the first place.

Paulo P 05 April 2005 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk

Agree with that one totally :mad: I've even had sellers not even bother leaving feedback at all after I've paid straight away etc and left feedback once the item has arrived :mad:

When I've paid via paypal which is most of the time they have the money in their account but still don't leave feedback until you've left feedback for them :mad: It's like they are holding you to ransom so that you don't leave back feedback for them being slack :mad:

Yet another rant over :rolleyes: