ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Mortgage - how much can you get normally? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/415431-mortgage-how-much-can-you-get-normally.html)

JimmyRB5PRO 30 March 2005 05:52 PM

Mortgage - how much can you get normally?

am possibly looking at buyin a new house and wondered how much you can get nowadays its used to 3 x salary when i bought a while ago what is it now and who's good online to do some calculations without filling in pages and pages ?????

cheers.............

GCollier 30 March 2005 06:34 PM

Try Yahoo.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/mortgage/

Quite a few lenders will lend you more than 3x nowadays.

Gary.

Mr Sympathy 30 March 2005 06:45 PM

Most bank websites have online mortgage calculators that do the sums for you as far more lenders these days lend on ability to pay not on pure salary, dont ask me how it works, i dont know. Certainly Abbey and First Direct offer this.

Tiggs 30 March 2005 07:09 PM

self cert....theres little in the way of REAL limits now if you can afford the payments.

Sub97 31 March 2005 08:27 AM

Try Nationwide. They lent us around 4 times joint salary - www.nationwide.co.uk

Patt@firstime 31 March 2005 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tiggs
self cert....theres little in the way of REAL limits now if you can afford the payments.

true but you'll need a minimum of 10% deposit for a self cert mortgage

Matt :D

Bodgery 31 March 2005 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyRB5PRO
am possibly looking at buyin a new house and wondered how much you can get nowadays its used to 3 x salary when i bought a while ago what is it now and who's good online to do some calculations without filling in pages and pages ?????

cheers.............

Try www.thisismoney.com - excellent site.

Tiggs 31 March 2005 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
true but you'll need a minimum of 10% deposit for a self cert mortgage

Credit Card?

GCollier 31 March 2005 10:06 AM

Don't self-certs often have a very poor interest rate?

And unless you have special circumstances such as self-employment or irregular income to make a self-cert necessary, it's probably not a sensible route to go down. If you can't get a regular mortgage from a bank for the amount you want to borrow then in most cases that should tell you something.

Gary.

stormyuklondon1 31 March 2005 10:10 AM

my girlfriend and i fot 3.5 times our annual wages last year. we were told we could of got 4 to 4.5 times but we'd found the house we wanted...

messiah 31 March 2005 10:15 AM

I heard some lenders were making up to 9x salary available :eek:

Tried a mortgage calculator a couple of months back and was asked if I wanted it over 47 years!

Patt@firstime 31 March 2005 10:17 AM

Credit Card?

Not 'allowed' by the lenders I'm afraid mate :( (if it's in your name that is ;) )

and the interest rate isn't bad TBH if you do some research :)

Tiggs 31 March 2005 10:27 AM

i have a great rate that was celf cert......and no one knows what you do with your CC balances.

T

davegtt 31 March 2005 10:27 AM

well wouldnt you pay the deposit to your solicitor and hold the funds there and he'd forward the money to the lender, so the lender aint got a clue where the money has come from???? or do a balence transfer from the credit card to your current acct....

what a lame excuse that is eh :rolleyes:

GCollier 31 March 2005 11:49 AM

i have a great rate that was celf cert

Care to disclose what the rate is?

chris singleton 31 March 2005 02:06 PM

Nearly all mortgage offers will contain a special condition that the deposit is provided without recourse to further borrowing i.e. credit cards, second charge, etc. That said, you would provide the solicitor with the deposit and could always say it was savings however if the mortgagee found out, they could decline the mortgage at any time.

sti-04!! 31 March 2005 02:19 PM

A friend of mines got offered 8 x his & his mr's salary :eek2:

Fook that