ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Uprated Clutch/ Flywheel advice please (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/414737-uprated-clutch-flywheel-advice-please.html)

terryb 27 March 2005 10:52 PM

Uprated Clutch/ Flywheel advice please

My clutch will need replacing soon on the P1 and I would like to ask for advice/ experiences with upgraded options.

Currently a standard clutch/ flywheel set-up and with future mods in mind I'll be wanting a clutch to cope with 400bhp/ 350lb-ft torque - to be on the safe side:D

I drive the car every day and do 20k miles a year. I drive through town a lot also. But also do a few track days and will be on the 1/4 mile strip this year.

So I want a clutch that you can live with through town, but also do 4krev sprint starts (not side-stepping the clutch but releasing quickly) as and when required - don't do this all the time, but it's good fun when you do.

As for the flywheel - I'm not sure about this as the P1 has great inertia when changing up gears - very smooth. I'm worried that replacing with a flywheel that is too light may have a detrimental effect to this and the engine may feel ON/OFF - if you know what I mean. So what do you recommend as the best flywheel to go for - I do want faster speed of acceleration.

Thanks in advance

Terry :D

911 28 March 2005 06:58 AM

Terry, IMHO:

Fit the AP organic onto the stock (re-faced if groovy) flywheel.
Great on the road, and mine has survived 2 seasons of full-on hill climb starts.

A light flywheel (below 8 Kg) will be tirsome @ 20K miles, but will make hard clean starts very hard on the strip.

Graham.

scooby-si 28 March 2005 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 911
Terry, IMHO:

Fit the AP organic onto the stock (re-faced if groovy) flywheel.
Great on the road, and mine has survived 2 seasons of full-on hill climb starts.

A light flywheel (below 8 Kg) will be tirsome @ 20K miles, but will make hard clean starts very hard on the strip.

Graham.

i never had a problem with good clean starts and ive run as low as 4.5kgs iam running 6kg at the minute

if you need a very good clutch give mark a call @ http://www.lateralperformance.co.uk/

Mark A 28 March 2005 09:25 AM

I'd make sure you buy the right AP,

I've had problems with mine (see pics) and AP would n't replace it. Having said that I'm using another AP but a paddle instead of an organic one now. The cover for the AP (Organic) is rated around 300Ibs of torque, and AP assured it would cope with 350 bhp. At the end of the day they are all made by the same company.

Camskills & API sell Exedy kits, Mark (lateral) sells his own spec.

Mark A

terryb 28 March 2005 10:17 AM

Thanks uys

Mark A - you say you have a paddle clutch now - is that 3 or 5 paddles? And is it driveable round town - or is yours used for fun on track, etc??

Scooby-si - you have a 6kg flywheel at present. How does that compare to a standard flywheel in terms of driveabilty/ pick-up and when you lift of the throttle?

Cheers

Terry

scooby-si 28 March 2005 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by terryb
Thanks uys

Mark A - you say you have a paddle clutch now - is that 3 or 5 paddles? And is it driveable round town - or is yours used for fun on track, etc??

Scooby-si - you have a 6kg flywheel at present. How does that compare to a standard flywheel in terms of driveabilty/ pick-up and when you lift of the throttle?

Cheers

Terry

driveabilty is not a problem m8, just got to give it a little bit more revs to set off,its nice and light, pick up is very quick and on lift off its fine not a problem,

give me a bell m8 i hate these pc's 07731 555100

Mark A 28 March 2005 08:13 PM

Terry I'll let you know when the car is back together, and not spread over a 1/4 sq mile.
5 pad fixed centre paddle for competition only :eek2:

scoobyDAZZA 28 March 2005 08:33 PM

i'm just about to fit an exedy organic clutch with the exedy 5.7KG(i think) flywheel

will be running around 320bhp with similar torque when i get new turbo,injectors etc fitted

terryb 28 March 2005 09:44 PM

Thanks again Guys and Si - I'll give you a bell tomorrow evening.

Cheers

Terry

scooby-si 28 March 2005 11:07 PM

np m8, work nights so anytime after 12pm;)