ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   unequal length headers? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/414416-unequal-length-headers.html)

rolski 26 March 2005 11:12 AM

unequal length headers?

had headers fitted(gt spec gen 2) ,very impresed with performance gains,BUT,while it still has flat four burble,the scoob does not sound as monsterous as b4. is this normal?.is it due to increased gasflow?
mods are:tsl tiphoon back box,tsl centre,tsl de-cat downpipe,green filter,ecutek map. myoo uk turbo.
is there anything that can be done,or is that just how it is.
any feedback apreciated,cheers.:)

Mad Hammer 26 March 2005 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by rolski
had headers fitted(gt spec gen 2) ,very impresed with performance gains,BUT,while it still has flat four burble,the scoob does not sound as monsterous as b4. is this normal?.is it due to increased gasflow?
mods are:tsl tiphoon back box,tsl centre,tsl de-cat downpipe,green filter,ecutek map. myoo uk turbo.
is there anything that can be done,or is that just how it is.
any feedback apreciated,cheers.:)

Just the way it is mate :)

rolski 26 March 2005 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Hammer
Just the way it is mate :)

thanks for that:)

RB5263 26 March 2005 09:24 PM

Wait until they have carboned up a bit. They get progessively louder.
I have TSL's headers, group A down pipe decat centre section and a firestorm backbox. It got louder and louder and is now just spot on.

banny sti 26 March 2005 09:44 PM

RB have you heat wrapped the headers?

rolski 27 March 2005 03:41 PM

thanks rb thats good to know.

3barboost 27 March 2005 06:17 PM

climbing on to this thread to subscribe and learn (and hijack) and also fitted unequal length headers today, and also noticed how quiet and sublte the car had become (and seems down on power) have you noticed a power loss ?

Specs areMY00 Classic, VF23, 3 inch twin dump exhaust, unequal length headers, std up pipe, samco full hose kit, cone filter, new MAF, aquamist, TEK3

Maybe I need the map redone to compensate for the headers ? anyone got good advice on this ? it will be my tuners first classic TEK3 with a header change, seems a bit laggy on the low end, with a bit of a power loss until 4100 or so, then its up in boost and power, the wideband AFR shows pretty much the same values high up, the delta dash shows its sucking less air past the MAF than before....I would have thought this would have been the opposite

banny sti 27 March 2005 06:27 PM

which headers did you use? i have some megan headers lying around not sure whether to put them on.

3barboost 27 March 2005 06:32 PM

The headers came off a friends STi6 he told me they are JUN and they look the part the workmanship is awesome and they fitted on in under an hour of effort, but disappointingly I couldnt find a badge etc, I wrapped them in Thermotec wrap and made a heatshield out of two aluminimum plates around the centre section, I have pics if you keen ? the noise difference is startling to say the least !

Jay m A 27 March 2005 06:34 PM

The reason for it getting 'quieter' is that although they are unequal length, they are not as unequal as the OE headers, so the exhaust gas pulses are more stretched out hence less 'off beat' noise. Or so I've been told ;)

banny sti 27 March 2005 07:03 PM

could you post up some pics pls!

Originally Posted by 3barboost
The headers came off a friends STi6 he told me they are JUN and they look the part the workmanship is awesome and they fitted on in under an hour of effort, but disappointingly I couldnt find a badge etc, I wrapped them in Thermotec wrap and made a heatshield out of two aluminimum plates around the centre section, I have pics if you keen ? the noise difference is startling to say the least !

3barboost 27 March 2005 07:19 PM

here you go
this linky takes you to a directory where the pics are, the pic names are pretty self evident.

the pics are from a camera phone and vary in quality - sorry !

http://www.csedirect.co.za/headers/

banny sti 27 March 2005 07:28 PM

cheers mate

rolski 27 March 2005 08:09 PM

no power loss noticed , just fierce accelaration+ big grin,its all good,(but quieter).

David MY99 27 March 2005 08:35 PM

The powerloss could be created by the header.
It's normal that after fitment your boostpressure lowered a bit.
It did on mine anyway. A remap is worth the money imho

3barboost 28 March 2005 06:22 AM

I am thinking a remap is called for, but does anyone have a clue what parameters to change ?