ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Driving Dynamics (https://www.scoobynet.com/driving-dynamics-354/)
-   -   Cant find it - How to pull off perfectly? (https://www.scoobynet.com/driving-dynamics-354/414075-cant-find-it-how-to-pull-off-perfectly.html)

G_Sleigh_STi 24 March 2005 08:20 PM

Cant find it - How to pull off perfectly?

Car: 04 STi
Situation: Santa Pod

Question:

What revs do you hold it at when pulling off for the perfect start?

I have figured anything less than 4k and it just bogs down.

more than 5k for a perfect take off?

Answer: ?

Thank you

corradoboy 26 March 2005 12:59 AM

Never done it, but I recall reading that some build 5k revs, slip foot of the edge of the clutch pedal and plant the throttle full on take-off. I also read that some then get their cars towed to a garage for a new clutch ;)

STi-Frenchie 26 March 2005 08:08 PM

I remember a video I downloaded from SN which showed a launch done at 6K revs. I still have it...just not here (in work) and will gladly host it once I go back to the office if it is of interest. The launch in a classic was very impressive...not sure I'd want to do it too often myself - I still remember the stink of clutch the last time I tried slipping it :eek:

scoobyDAZZA 28 March 2005 08:30 PM

in my slightly modded uk my00,265 bhp (ish),original clutch/box etc
i launched at 5k,got a perfect change into 2nd and hit 60 in 4.71 secs

havent tried it above 5 (yet,lol)
done it twice using a g-tech pro performance metre
1st run was 4.84
2nd was the 4.71
but then the clutch started smelling badly lol.
has done 43 000 miles on the original so time now for an exedy organic with 5.7Kg flywheel

G_Sleigh_STi 29 March 2005 09:33 PM

Basically without damaging the car you cant get a good start. Thats abit crap aint it! LOL.

doug2507 31 March 2005 02:28 PM

Did the same with mine. Tried standing starts with the diff..

1. Open
2. Two notches forward
3. 50-50 lock.

Held the revs at 4k then dumped the clutch.

Result?....

1. Good take off:Whatever_
2. Even better:)
3. Clutch melted, windows down for oxygen, passenger in knots laughing.:cry:

All on a warm dry day with a new sti clutch -either not capable of 330/330 through all wheels at once or tyres had been covered in velcro for grip. Lesson learned-the expensive way.;)

3barboost 13 April 2005 09:21 PM

the best launch method and a heartless alternative !

method 1

blipping the throttle between 7k and 5k lots of dump valve noise etc

drop the clutch 100% dont be a wussy and floor it

let the tyres break free and get you going

the clonk will be almighty

But you will be off like a rocket !!!

method 2 the big Cahoona !!!

If you have a stronger transmission floor it and hold your foot flat against the red line bouncing off the rev limiter, watch the boost gauge it will start building boost up to about .5 (primitive and factory fitted launch control!!!!)

once .5 is reached drop the clutch and hold on

In no circumstances slip the clutch !!!

the power delivery will HOPEFULLY break the wheels traction free and then keep holding the throttle down ! 2nd will be up in a flash and thats it yo uare gone !!!! down the road

the clutch and gearbox should survive this my std gearbox on a classic certainly does

I have been doing the second method for many kms ! and the car is still in one piece and does a 13.0 on the 1/4 at 1600m above sea level

But if you break it - let us know - but dont blame me !

MurrayZA 14 April 2005 06:17 AM

Just dont try those methods with rally slicks. You'll be searching for cog pieces for ages. Slipping the clutch is probably better on the drivetrain. Remember, there is a huge difference between slipping the clutch out for a hole shot and riding the clutch till the smoke pours out from underneath. Takes some practice.

Remember, wearing your clutch out is not breaking the car. Its a wear and tear item. If your clutch is lasting over 50 000km, about 30 000 miles, you're definitely not getting your money's worth out of your car - u should go buy a Skoda, or something ending in TDi.

G_Sleigh_STi 30 May 2005 07:13 AM

O.k well i have been and done my very first launches at modified nationals.

Ive never done anything like this before, The time from the man getting you level and you sitting the car at the right revs and the lights going green is all so QUICK!!!

Scary and fun at the same time :)

Sadly i didnt get the times i should have been running under the 5second marks.

What i was doing was holding the clutch about 5000RPM, then slowly pulling the clutch up until i felt it was flying and wasnt going to bog down then completely released the clutch.

It was a crazy hot day and there was so much grip it was stupid, i kept bogging her down :( let go of the clutch to early, she just gripped and lost revs a couple times. DOH

scooby-si 30 May 2005 08:10 PM

G_Sleigh_STi

if you fancy m8 one weekend come up to mansfield and ill show you how to do it m8

gravelexpress 30 May 2005 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by scooby-si
G_Sleigh_STi

if you fancy m8 one weekend come up to mansfield and ill show you how to do it m8

believe me this man knows what he is talking about

G_Sleigh_STi 31 May 2005 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by scooby-si
G_Sleigh_STi

Hell yea. Lets go for it then :)

I aint been up that way for awhile. Its worth a trip :)

Where bout you?

scooby-si 31 May 2005 01:50 PM

yhpm m8:)

Gridlock Mikey 03 June 2005 01:41 PM

How did it go? :lol1:

22b v 04 STi Seeya :lol1:

scooby-si 04 June 2005 04:53 AM

:D

powerman1 29 July 2005 07:27 PM

I hope I never inadvertently buy one of these test rockets when i buy my next scooby,maybe just buy a new one instead to be safe:)

powerman

G_Sleigh_STi 08 August 2005 06:09 AM

Hmmm... still needing advise on this because 0-60 and quarter miles, i must be doing something seriously wrong....

I started a thread in general chat but i will add to this one to if anyone wants to give advise.

This is from USC at Santa Pod:

1st run i thought was shocking, i bogged down on the start wheni let the clutch go it clamped at 2500rpm and felt so so so so slow off the line.

2nd run i held and slipped it at 5000RPM and flew off the line, it felt fast as F**K! but look at these time slips! It says to opposite! Better to start low revs?

Also how on earth is my top speed higher on the slower run?

More help or advise on how i can run my car better would be appreciated.

Stats
----------------

Subaru impreza 04 STI8 333bhp TSL pack

1ST
----------------
.500 reaction
1.746 60ft
5.621 330ft
8.826 1/8th
77.21 1/8th
13.753 1/4
98.93 1/4

2ND
----------------
.090 reaction
2.538 60ft
6.159 330ft
9.196 1/8th
80.83 1/8th
14.024 1/4
100.43 1/4

AVI-8 03 September 2005 12:24 AM

I'm obviously getting older why the feck would you want to do that to your gearbox.

Do you get something out of being towed home and spending £1500 on the subsequent drivetrain rebuild

Ben WRX Bug-Eye 03 September 2005 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by AVI-8
I'm obviously getting older why the feck would you want to do that to your gearbox.

Do you get something out of being towed home and spending £1500 on the subsequent drivetrain rebuild

It's all about pushing back the limits mate - taking it to the max. Imagine the satisfaction you'd get from having it all come together with a perfect lauch.

andy10 18 November 2005 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 3barboost
the best launch method and a heartless alternative !

method 1

blipping the throttle between 7k and 5k lots of dump valve noise etc

drop the clutch 100% dont be a wussy and floor it

let the tyres break free and get you going

the clonk will be almighty

But you will be off like a rocket !!!

But if you break it - let us know - but dont blame me !

I was playing around doing this type of thing. I have replaced the burnt out clutch but have got a more substantial one. Can't get used to new clutch at low speeds though although I would be excellent on a rodeo circuit

Asymmetry 22 November 2005 12:21 AM

:shock: might be the best way to get a fast start but its very hard on the drive train!

I do it the safe way at 4K, slip, let it grip, keep letting it go as it grips apply more power. Doesnt toast your clutch much (no smell) and get a good start, not the fastest but a safe way to do it, 2 years of lauch starts on the same clutch and tranny.

andy10 27 November 2005 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Asymmetry
:shock: might be the best way to get a fast start but its very hard on the drive train!

I do it the safe way at 4K, slip, let it grip, keep letting it go as it grips apply more power. Doesnt toast your clutch much (no smell) and get a good start, not the fastest but a safe way to do it, 2 years of lauch starts on the same clutch and tranny.

Probably do this way from now on. You've got to learn though hav'nt you? First clutch that i'd ever burnt out, hopefully last one.

chief-long-shin 22 December 2005 09:27 PM

I tried just coming onto boost in my classic wrx. let the clutch out quick without really slippping or dumping, one of them in between jobs, half a second if that of wheelspin, then it was off like a rocket.

Not saying i know what i'm doing but it worked ok there at about 4-4.5k

tath 23 December 2005 07:38 PM

wheelspin is nice - you don't annihilate your clutch and you can get some boost building while it spins the wheels at very low speed, so when it grips it won't bog down.

bob r 23 December 2005 08:35 PM

cant find it, how to pull off perfectly.? just reaching puberty i take it. youll learn son it comes naturally.ha ha

slagmagnet69 24 December 2005 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by bob r
cant find it, how to pull off perfectly.? just reaching puberty i take it. youll learn son it comes naturally.ha ha

I'm still practising. :D

Scoobdogg 07 January 2006 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by doug2507
Did the same with mine. Tried standing starts with the diff..

1. Open
2. Two notches forward
3. 50-50 lock.

Held the revs at 4k then dumped the clutch.

Result?....

1. Good take off:Whatever_
2. Even better:)
3. Clutch melted, windows down for oxygen, passenger in knots laughing.:cry:

All on a warm dry day with a new sti clutch -either not capable of 330/330 through all wheels at once or tyres had been covered in velcro for grip. Lesson learned-the expensive way.;)

HAHAHA i just saw this yes i remember the smell of clutch think i can still smell it now!.

BAZ 1256 02 February 2006 08:26 PM

iv only been on the 1/4 mile one day since i got my scooby

sat on line, had revs sitting about 5500rpm or maybe a wee bit more
soon as lights changed, clutch out quickly foot to floor on the accelerator
launched off line great i thought, tyres seemed to be just on the point of losing traction, but ended up with a 13.4 on my first ever day of launching a 4wd off the line.

also tried same but at 4500/5000 rpm but it bogged down too much, so back to the 5500/6000 next time again.
does this sound like im doing it half decent or not ? still getting used to this after many years of FWD cars

GrantyBoy 04 February 2006 08:03 PM

thats how I launch mine. Another technique is to pump the throttle and time it so the turbo spools up when the lights change.

powerman1 12 February 2006 08:32 PM

http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...7B9919172B.htm
have a look at this