ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Whats the difference between... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/413914-whats-the-difference-between.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 24 March 2005 11:01 AM

Whats the difference between...

WR1, Spec C, S202 and Type 25 scoobs apart from looks?

Seem to be changing all the time as to what the special edition/super modded imports are.

Hear lots of raving about the Spec C, so why is that better than the others above for example?

TIA

corradoboy 24 March 2005 12:09 PM

WR1 was a UK 04 STi supplied by SUK/IM with the Jap spec DCCD-A and lots of bits 'n bobs from the Prodrive parts bin. Fully warrantied and serviceable through UK dealers.

Type 25 is a JDM STi, bored up to a 2.5 litre with a bespoke map, suspension and exhaust. Imported by Iain Litchfield and prepared by Power Station. 3yr warranty from Litchfields, provided it is serviced by Powerstation IIRC.

Spec C is a JDM lightweight special edition, with more power and better suspension than standard. No warranty I believe.

I believe S201/2/3 are similar to Spec C's, only more extreme.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to put me right.

TonyFlow 24 March 2005 12:22 PM

Didnt think the Type 25 was bored out - though it had the US STi 2.5 head on?

ozzy 24 March 2005 12:39 PM

The Type25 has a USDM 2.5 engine, not a rebored 2.0 AFAIK.

Bravo2zero_sps 24 March 2005 01:17 PM

So which one is supposed to be the ulitmate in performance? The type 25 in the motoring press is given that award, however it seems on here everyone wants a Spec C (i don't know anything about them) where as i'd want an S202 just because when I first saw one and read about it thought it sounded/looked manic.

Edit: In fact scrub that just looked up the S203, mmmm :norty:

Rasher 24 March 2005 01:46 PM

just because when I first saw one and read about it thought it sounded/looked manic.
trust me mate they are:D

Bravo2zero_sps 24 March 2005 01:52 PM

Think the S202 looks more hardcore than the S203 but I wouldn't say no to either :D Better buy myself a lottery ticket this weekend!

So looks like the S203 has 320bhp and the Spec C has 335bhp. Is there actually a lot of differences handling/driving wise between these two models?

TonyFlow 24 March 2005 01:55 PM

Do they both have twin-scroll turbos?

Bravo2zero_sps 24 March 2005 02:01 PM

Yes think so. However getting confused now, looking at different sites and getting different info, one site saying the spec-c has 276bhp and ones advertised at Litchfields for example having 335 bhp :confused:

7 Foot 24 March 2005 02:17 PM

276bhp is the 'gentlemens agreement' figure. No idea where, when or why this came about but Jap car companies often quote this power figure for cars that are more powerful than the agreed 276bhp limit.

IIRC Iain's Spec Cs are re-mapped at Powerstation.

warrenm2 24 March 2005 02:27 PM

the litchfield one is 335bhp because of an aftermarket Miltek exhaust and remap....

Bravo2zero_sps 24 March 2005 02:34 PM

Well whatever they are I wont be getting one, can only dream lol, I had to sell my scooby for a Skoda :cry: oh the humiliation ;)

Rasher 24 March 2005 03:43 PM

276bhp is the 'gentlemens agreement' figure.
quite right that is why the S202 had no Subaru badging on it at all when it came out, so it wasnt 'officially' breaking the gentlemans agreement

I believe that agreement has been 'lifted' if you like, Jap companies are free to produce whatever output they like on their vehicles

Spec'c'57 24 March 2005 06:36 PM

standard out the box spec'c' with litchfiel uk fuel map....

290bhp & 315lb torque.....:D:D

TonyBurns 24 March 2005 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by **************
WR1, Spec C, S202 and Type 25 scoobs apart from looks?

WR1 as stated started life as the Solberg limited edition run of 1000 cars, 265 ps with 17 inch alloy wheels and re070 rubber, Prodrive got 500 of these cars, added a new PPP with the power output of 320ps, 18 inch Prodrive alloys, some cosmetic features etc

Spec C, lightweight STi, weighs less than a standard wrx, 280ps, 290lbs of torque, low friction rollerbearing twin scroll turbo, not much in it, goes like stink :D (mine is up to 315bhp with just a panel filter :D)

S202, based on the Spec C (bug eye version), STI tuned to 320ps and around 283lbs of torque, runs a vf34 roller bearing turbo, uprated engine parts over other cars, titanium back box, lots of weight savings, one car that most people forget about, until it flies passed them ;)

S203, based on the latest incarnation of the Spec C, has a different twin scroll setup over the spec c though (not sure what vf number) but will be low friction roller bearing.
All the goodies of the normal cars with less than the weight of a wrx, v nice :D
STi tuned again to 320ps, torque figures up on the 304lbs the 05 cars push out, will be a fantastic road/track monster :D

Type 25.
Iain Litchfields baby :D
Remembering what i can, can be based upon either a Spec C or the JDM STi, has part of the 2.5ltr US block, has the 2ltr JDM heads as they are better ;)
350bhp, 350lbs of torque, nice alloys and body kits, a bit of a sleeper, though it has a hybrid Twin scroll turbo i believe (garrett?)

Tony:D

corradoboy 24 March 2005 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
mine is up to 315bhp with just a panel filter :D

You got a Spec C Tony :confused:

Bravo2zero_sps 24 March 2005 10:09 PM

Thanks for the replies :) unfortunately my purchasing of a Spec C has been limited to GT4

Would love to drive an S202 in yellow just to see how massively different it is to my old 98 classic. Think they are :cool:

So the Type 25 is the daddy for bhp then, but knowing from all the threads on here over the years that bhp is not always everything is the Type 25 not the best of the bunch?

Gear Head 24 March 2005 10:37 PM

The 'best' could apply to so many different areas. Road or track? As for track I'd say, with the same driver in each, the type 25 spec c!