ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Bargain new scooby wrx's (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/411806-bargain-new-scooby-wrxs.html)

C2forWRX 16 March 2005 05:27 PM

Bargain new scooby wrx's

I have been getting autocar for a few months now and there is always a bit advert for a website for a car supermarket called www.tradesales.co.uk after more research there are quite a few of these sites selling renaults, fords etc and they do new wrx's for under 16k. WTF??? wats the catch?

ALi-B 16 March 2005 05:34 PM

Saw in the Makro mail you can get new WRX's for £16500 including VAT!! :eek:

C2forWRX 16 March 2005 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Yea i know. I got my C2 from the internet and saved a packed. picked it up from a local citroen dealer to. Uk car too. there must b a catch with the scoobs for 16k tho

C2forWRX 16 March 2005 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Yea looked on the makro site and its an import. uk spec but sourced from EU. dont quite know how this affects insurance prices? although you are saving a tidy 4K.

ALi-B 16 March 2005 05:54 PM

I suspected as much. Presumably it affects the warrantee of the car - it's certainly the case with other EU import cars.

p1doc 16 March 2005 06:00 PM

as i understand if it is a cyprus car they are not part of eu yet and therefore you do not have a subaru warranty if things go wrong as IM point out it is an import and not a uk car
martin

corradoboy 16 March 2005 06:02 PM

The warranty is the same as the UK one, Pan-European 3yr, which you'll have to register with IM as soon as you get the car. Only problem is the sour grapes from many dealers whom will insist on getting payment approval from the EU supplying dealer for any warranty work. You won't get Subaru Assured breakdown cover, or the Cat1 alarm, and you'll have to buy your own locking wheel nuts. There shouldn't be any insurance woes anymore as they are now identical to UK cars (used to not have side airbags). When you come to sell on, dealers will take the p!55 on trade in values, and private buyer will want to pay £1k less than a UK supplied. You also won't be able to extend your warranty upto 5yrs.

Given that most pay around £18.7k for a UK car and £16.5k for an EU, the alarm is worth about £300, £40 for McGuard locking nuts and £200 for 3 years of breakdown cover, plus the £1k extra depreciation, you're only gonna be saving about £600 or so. A small price to pay really for full unquestionable dealer support.

Back when the £/€ was more favourable and UK cars were £2k dearer imports made a lot of sense. Now it's a close call when you look at all the figures, not just the bottom line.

You pays yer money....

C2forWRX 18 March 2005 12:20 PM

Yea i was thinking it wouldnt be worth it. They say you only get a 2 year warrenty which is extenable to 4 years for £700 :eek2:

Jamesemt 18 March 2005 07:22 PM

Think proper EU cars still get the 3 years...

I paid £18k for my EU import 18 months ago :eek2: was a good deal at the time but I guess I've got quite a bit of negative equity now.

Dealers really do take the piss - I was offered £10k for my 53 plate WR Blue 6k miles in immaculate condition...and that was against a £23k Golf...

Depreciation is only an issue if you sell the car - I'll keep mine until I crash it :norty:

misty 18 March 2005 08:19 PM

What's that going to do to second hand scooby prices though??
dave

fq400 18 March 2005 08:40 PM

dealerships are a bunch of pi#stakers

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
Think proper EU cars still get the 3 years...

I paid £18k for my EU import 18 months ago :eek2: was a good deal at the time but I guess I've got quite a bit of negative equity now.

Dealers really do take the piss - I was offered £10k for my 53 plate WR Blue 6k miles in immaculate condition...and that was against a £23k Golf...

Depreciation is only an issue if you sell the car - I'll keep mine until I crash it :norty:

wwp8 18 March 2005 10:31 PM

no one mentions,. allbrandsnew???

andy1505 18 March 2005 11:26 PM

Odd to say but when I went to buy from a UK dealer they offered me nothing, even a test drive seemed like hard work. Bought a WRX from allbrandsnew and saved a packet(not just a couple of hundred as suggested elsewhere). Warrenty the same, service intervals different. No insurance hassle, even was able to insure the car off of a chasis number. All in all a good way to save £4000. PS taking kids and wife to Disney world to celebrate saving all that money.

James Neill 19 March 2005 12:38 PM

I'm planning on getting a WRX and one of the car mags mentioned a site selling brand new ones for £15,999. No mention of it being an import - but I guess I should check.

Harry_Boy 19 March 2005 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by James Neill
I'm planning on getting a WRX and one of the car mags mentioned a site selling brand new ones for £15,999. No mention of it being an import - but I guess I should check.

No question - 100% definitely an import at that price.....

andy1505 20 March 2005 08:01 AM

Allbrandsnew will be a Malta import, got mine from them V happy. The old chestnut of you get less with an import, you do not get alarm, wheel nuts, or subaru assist. What I did get was enough money to take the family to Disney world for two weeks staying in Animal Kingdom. Nuff said.

Bully3176 20 March 2005 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by andy1505
Allbrandsnew will be a Malta import, got mine from them V happy. The old chestnut of you get less with an import, you do not get alarm, wheel nuts, or subaru assist. What I did get was enough money to take the family to Disney world for two weeks staying in Animal Kingdom. Nuff said.

agreed, youd be mad not save the cash, and if yiu take it back where you got it from and have somethin else off them they give you a descent price tooo!!!

cat7 20 March 2005 08:39 AM

what are the service intervals

Originally Posted by andy1505
Odd to say but when I went to buy from a UK dealer they offered me nothing, even a test drive seemed like hard work. Bought a WRX from allbrandsnew and saved a packet(not just a couple of hundred as suggested elsewhere). Warrenty the same, service intervals different. No insurance hassle, even was able to insure the car off of a chasis number. All in all a good way to save £4000. PS taking kids and wife to Disney world to celebrate saving all that money.

are they shorter or longer on the imports?

andy1505 20 March 2005 09:04 AM

1k, 3k(oil change) 9k, etc.

pj748r 20 March 2005 09:21 AM

Have been thinking off going down this road towards my first scooby,but why would it have different servicing schedules just because its meant for a different EU country rather than the UK.I have had a couple of imported Zx6r bikes(Spanish market) and these have had the same schedule as ones meant for the uk market!

andy1505 20 March 2005 09:32 AM

See above, 1k difference only.

pj748r 20 March 2005 09:44 AM

yeah i read that,but was after a reason why they are different:ponder2:

James Neill 20 March 2005 10:50 AM

Would Subaru's current 3-year free servicing still be valid if I were to get one of these £16k UK-Imported Impreza's

Bully3176 20 March 2005 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by pj748r
yeah i read that,but was after a reason why they are different:ponder2:

No real difference, i think mainly the schedule is shorter because the cars were bound for hotter climates than here? Also more dusty and dry? If that makes sense? My local dealer is quite happy to stick with the uk 10k schedule of servicing! :thumb:

Mark

Harry_Boy 20 March 2005 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by James Neill
Would Subaru's current 3-year free servicing still be valid if I were to get one of these £16k UK-Imported Impreza's

Sorry mate, but no chance! I bet you could have guessed the answer to that one :)

Harry_Boy 20 March 2005 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bully3176
No real difference, i think mainly the schedule is shorter because the cars were bound for hotter climates than here? Also more dusty and dry? If that makes sense? My local dealer is quite happy to stick with the uk 10k schedule of servicing! :thumb:

Mark

Correct - that's generally why the intervals are shorter.

But, the real problem is that, while your UK dealer will of course be very happy to stick to the UK service intervals (after all, he's getting some business), what happens if you have to make a warranty claim?

The warranty claim will be handled by the original importer in the country of origin (ie, Malta or wherever) and, if you haven't stuck to their service intervals (ie 9k), you'll more than likely be shafted.... :(

patkin 27 March 2005 03:45 PM

Im waiting for my WRX SWRT Special Edition from AllBrandsNew My05 STi interior, 17" gold alloys, Fog lamp covers, High boot spoiler. satNav all for 18k. Thatcham cat 1 £300 quid extra

willsy369 28 March 2005 08:58 AM

Living in germany i get them tax free, my05WRX cost me £14995!!!! and thats uk spec and both uk and cont headlights. Not sure but i think if you buy new you cant sell or buy another tax free car for a year, but whos gonna want too!! Might be worth checking that out for a cheaper price?? And it has an auto watch alarm/immob fitted too!!