ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   IP address problems (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/411763-ip-address-problems.html)

babber 16 March 2005 01:54 PM

IP address problems

Hello,

I'm tearing my hair out, or what little I have left of it :rolleyes: I've just installed XP on a laptop (for the second time) and I've haing problems leasing an IP address from my router.

Laptop is setup correctly and PCMCIA card is installed fine with no conflicts. I get the windows default IP address on the laptop 169.xx.xx.xx with no gateway information, etc.

When I access the router DHCP table the laptop is listed with an IP address. If I try and repair the connection (in network / control panel) I get a message saying "the following steps of repair operation failed: renewing the IP address (or something like that) and to contact the network administrator, WTF???

It's really pissing me of now, as I had this on the initial XP install, so thought a new install would sort it out. I've never had this issue before, so am stumped now.

BTW, all netgear router / PCMCIA cards, wireless access point. All other PCs on the LAN are fine :(

Thanks Phill

MOK79 16 March 2005 02:08 PM

Phill have you got sp2 installed. If not try that. The wireless software is a lot better.....

I had the same problem with my office wireless connection. Installed sp2 and sorted straight away

babber 16 March 2005 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MOK79
Phill have you got sp2 installed. If not try that. The wireless software is a lot better.....

I had the same problem with my office wireless connection. Installed sp2 and sorted straight away

On the first install had internet connection sorted through a normal LAN card. Once I updated with SP2, then I couldn't connect after this. Wireless or normal.

After installing for the second time, I can't connect full stop. I haven't got SP2 here, as I download it from MS, once the PC is up and connected to the internet.

Phill

djuk 16 March 2005 02:21 PM

If the wireless network uses some sort of encryption, for example WEP, you might want to check that the key you're putting in is 100% correct as an incorrect key would give the problem you're having.

Foot_Tapper 16 March 2005 02:26 PM

Try this... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q244268/

ozzy 16 March 2005 04:16 PM

It may be the XP firewall blocking DHCP. Try disabling it first (assuming your not exposing yourself with a net connection).

Stefan

MOK79 16 March 2005 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by djuk
If the wireless network uses some sort of encryption, for example WEP, you might want to check that the key you're putting in is 100% correct as an incorrect key would give the problem you're having.

I reckon it has to be the WEP pre-shared key. Re-enter this key on the router and then on your card. Do you get any sort of connection. I.E does it see the wireless network ?

Dazza's-STi 16 March 2005 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ozzy
It may be the XP firewall blocking DHCP. Try disabling it first (assuming your not exposing yourself with a net connection).

Stefan

no id won't do that!

Dazza's-STi 16 March 2005 04:41 PM

You won't have the wireless set correctly...
check this by setting a manual address and then try it...!

babber 17 March 2005 12:39 PM

At the moment it won't find the network with either a wireless or cabled connection. I can't get an IP address automatically, but haven't tried manually entering the IP / default gateway / etc... I will try this however.

I've just loaded XP fresh, and as far as I'm aware the firewall is switched off, but I'm assuming so I'll check. The first time I loaded XP on this machine, it appeared to work perfectly fine, until I loaded XP SP2 and that appeared to shag it. I tried numerous times to switch off the firewall, etc but it still wouldn't connect (wireless or normal) so evetually I re-installed XP again. I THINK I did a quick format this time, and was wondering if there was some setting saved on the hidden partition?? Should I try re-installing XP, with a full bad boy format??

On the second XP install

If I click on the hardware eject (PCMCIA) button on the task bar, it doesn't show the wireless card. I've tried 3 cards now, so I'm confident it's not that. On the Netgear wireless Utility I remember it saying something about the card or driver not being communicated with, or something like that. It's constantly scanning for the RF connection, and doesn't appear to find the wireless access point.

The wireless access point is a Telewest one, so the SSID is pre-assigned, and it's not showing on the netgear Utility. When I've connected previous laptops (probably about 10) the Netgear Utility shows in the taskbar with a funny Icon in front of it. The SSID however appears to be assigned by the wireless access point. When you click on the Icon, it's obvious you need to assign the network WEP key, but I'm not getting none of that??? And as I say the SSID isn't assigned.

Worse thing about all this is the normal PCMCIA wired card doesn't connect either, however it does appear in the hardware eject Icon. XP generated IP address, which is bizarre.

Oh and the other thing to mention is when I check the router during bootup (with my other machine) the laptop appears to request an IP address and is given one. A minute or so later, the laptop has disappeared and so has the IP. Pinging that IP address at any point doesn't appear to work....

Talk about a pain in the ass!!! As I say all other PCc and Laptops on the LAN are working fine, although I have had dramas with file sharing amonst them now for many months!!!

Phill

babber 17 March 2005 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Foot_Tapper

Try what?? Nothing appears apart from a red cross??