ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Need a new socket set - what can I get online? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/411678-need-a-new-socket-set-what-can-i-get-online.html)

Jay m A 16 March 2005 08:54 AM

Need a new socket set - what can I get online?

Hi

My £30 Halfords socket set has served me well over the last 12 years, but its finally had it.

Just about to do alot of work on my car (with the help of others with decent tools:)) but still need a capable socket set that won't break the bank, but isn't cheap and nasty.

I also need it delivered by Friday latest!!

So that means either popping down to Halfords or Machine Mart, or hopefully finding something else online?

I've always wanted those rachet spanners - I'm alway borrowing my mates ones (thanks Miniman :D) so an all in one kit with those in would be cool.

I already have a decent 1/2" drive rachet and a breaker bar, but most of the sockets I have are for the expired 3/8" set.

So what are my options?

cheers

Graz 16 March 2005 09:42 AM

Amazon ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...191848-9838244

Jay m A 16 March 2005 10:08 AM

lol

Machine Mart do the Clarke range - looks pants to me, or are they any good?

David Lock 16 March 2005 10:10 AM

www.NorthernToolUK.com

0800 169 2266

Same day despatch (so they say)

DL

wiltshire_boy 16 March 2005 10:59 AM

Have a look here for some suggestions: Autoexpress product tests

Roy.

unclebuck 16 March 2005 11:10 AM

A mate of mine just bought a new halfords set for work and he's a pro mechanic. He swears by Halfords stuff. Yes, I was surprised too, but apparently their socket sets are really good.

UB

(Hello Roy. Long time no post....) ;)

wiltshire_boy 16 March 2005 12:05 PM

Well hello to you too Sir, i'm always pleasantly surprised if anyone remembers me :)

i just don't seem to have the time or inclination these days, still lurking though. I keep meaning to post on your trials thread in Bikers as i've been thinking about getting back into it. That Sherco looks very pretty. :cool:

Roy.

Dream Weaver 16 March 2005 12:54 PM

I bought the Halfords Pro set for £90 to dismantle the engine in my 205, and its been bloody great!!

I've really given it some stick, including standing with 17 stones on the wrench/torx setup to remove my head bolts.

They have no marks on them even after all the abuse, and have a lifetime gaurantee anyway should anything go wrong. Someone once said they are made by Snap On or something.

Jay m A 16 March 2005 02:20 PM

Well I went to a local tools place to see if I could get, the 3/8 drive seperately and some metric 1/2" sockets, and the rachet spanners. The rachet spanners are £7-£10 on their own :eek: So for the lot I was looking at £60 - £70. They didn't have the 3/8 drive in stock (which is what I need most of all) So I popped down to Halfords

Did'nt get past the sale section :)

150 piece professional kit (basically everything, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, rachet spanners, lot of other bits including tork - reduced from £150 to £100.

I don't even have a 1/4 set so I went for it :D

Lifetime guarantee too, and I heard from an ex Subaru mechanic mate of mine that TBH they are just as good as the rather more expensive stuff the pro's use.

I've convinced myself its an investment anyway, hence justified :D:D

Jap2Scrap 16 March 2005 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I bought the Halfords Pro set for £90 to dismantle the engine in my 205, and its been bloody great!!

I've really given it some stick, including standing with 17 stones on the wrench/torx setup to remove my head bolts.

They have no marks on them even after all the abuse, and have a lifetime gaurantee anyway should anything go wrong. Someone once said they are made by Snap On or something.

YFB! No wonder you didn't find your sister's VTS too inspiring, you'd doubled the weight! ;)

Oh, and to the thread starter; another vote for Halfrauds kit, or Kamasa as an alternative. Both very good and both good VFM :D

Edited to say - just realised I was a bit late with that! Enjoy your purchase though.. I love getting new tools :D

Dream Weaver 16 March 2005 04:12 PM

Cheeky fecker :D

I wasnt in the VTS - I was behind her in my lowly Rover 216 GSi (that I had at the time). She decided to "show me a clean pair of heels", and I managed to keep up with here from 10 - 80mph. She was gutted that she had been beaten by a £200 Rover :D

Jay MA - good choice - the cost is defo justifiable - you will never have to buy another socket set again :)

Bottomfeeder 16 March 2005 04:56 PM

I have 2 Halfrauds pro socket sets and a set of the ratchet spanners..............blady brilliant, all of it, worth every penny

Brendan Hughes 16 March 2005 05:44 PM

Not a socket set, but I just went into our B&Q equivalent for some paving slabs and came out with a 500W B&D jigsaw, brand new, boxed. For 20 euros :eek: :luxhello:

GU5 16 March 2005 07:16 PM

What I don't get is that if Halfords professional range have a life time gurantee why do they sell a ratchet repair kit? :confused: ;)

scoobyjohn2000 16 March 2005 07:29 PM

coz its only the ratchet bit that breaks?

Franx 16 March 2005 11:05 PM

I've found the Halfords ratchet spanners to be spot on as well:) Tried the Teng tools sockets? I have a 1/2" teng socket wrench and an assorted set of sockets, which are fine. Try the trade motor factor type of shops - tend to have that kind of thing on offer:)

richieh 17 March 2005 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by GU5
What I don't get is that if Halfords professional range have a life time gurantee why do they sell a ratchet repair kit? :confused: ;)

cos people put 3 foot bars on the ratchet handles.
ive managed to kill a quarter inch ratchet this way for test purposes and it took a fair bit of abuse before chipping 1 tooth.
another vote for the halfords pro stuff especially the ratchet spanners
richie

Jap2Scrap 17 March 2005 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Cheeky fecker :D

I wasnt in the VTS - I was behind her in my lowly Rover 216 GSi (that I had at the time). She decided to "show me a clean pair of heels", and I managed to keep up with here from 10 - 80mph. She was gutted that she had been beaten by a £200 Rover :D

She's a rubbish driver then :D The VTS should kill the GSi to 80.. After that it's a bit slacker and after 100 it gets a bit asthmatic.

The only thing I can think is that she had a bit of heat soak (had you been sat in traffic?) cos they're really good when cold.

Dream Weaver 17 March 2005 11:56 AM

No, it was on a bypass, setting off from a junction after we'd both been out. It was downhill, which helped the Rover but she didnt get away really. GSi did have 115bhp though :D

My 205 would slaughter a stock VTS, but thats another topic ;)

Billgtt 18 March 2005 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Franx
I've found the Halfords ratchet spanners to be spot on as well:) Tried the Teng tools sockets? I have a 1/2" teng socket wrench and an assorted set of sockets, which are fine. Try the trade motor factor type of shops - tend to have that kind of thing on offer:)

The Halfords pro range are made by Teng Tools ;) :)

jjones 18 March 2005 02:34 PM

if you read the small print the lifetime warranty does not apply to the ratchet mechanism. but they are cheap to buy if needed anyhow.