ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Brake judder ........ again ! (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/411377-brake-judder-again.html)

scooby_pimp 15 March 2005 04:05 PM

Brake judder ........ again !

Anyone have any recommendations ?
I had bone shaking brake judder on my 95MY WRX Wagon about a month ago.
Changed the front pads to new EBC Red Stuff, brand new standard discs .......... and I can still feel a faint judder. Not the bone shaker as before but still noticeable even to passengers.
Any ideas ?

stockcar 15 March 2005 09:03 PM

have you 'bedded' the discs correctly?? sticky calipers at all?? wheel bearing or steering issues??
could be a few things to be fair.........................

alyn

scooby_pimp 16 March 2005 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by stockcar
have you 'bedded' the discs correctly?? sticky calipers at all?? wheel bearing or steering issues??
could be a few things to be fair.........................

alyn

Well, I drove sympathetically for around 200 miles before using the brakes in anger. Checked front wheels for bearing movement and none found.
What do you recommend I check next ?

Cheers

MaDaSS 16 March 2005 08:04 AM

I dont know about them ebc pads, but the axiim ceramic jobbies that came with my stoptech kit have to be "murdered" in and not pussied about with.
MAybe you have been too kind, and i think you may just have deposits on your discs that need burning off. Ceramics are made for some high temp hammer. Perhaps you have just glazed them over? Do they feel like they are biting good when you brake?
Anyway, i aint no expert but i have had this kinda trouble in past.

scooby_pimp 18 March 2005 12:24 PM

Well, I was careful bedding them in but I wouldn't say I pussied into it !
Is there any way the rear brakes can potentially cause this judder issue. I had never really thought that the rear brakes did much in terms of % braking but they are the only thing i've not changed.

Dave_A 18 March 2005 02:31 PM

my cars in to be fixed for having a 'brake judder' issue, originally the discs were swapped out because we suspected warped discs, but latest when I dropped it off was possibly an over sensitive abs sensor. I'll post up on here when I get more news about my car, hopefully tomorrow!

Dave

dazc 28 March 2005 03:56 PM

Dont mean to offend, but 2 sets doing the same thing? Could be one of a few things assuming everything is mechanically correct,

Not warming them up gradually before giving them some hammer.

Not cooling them down after.

Being too careful bedding them in, and not giving the disc even pad transfer, then braking hard and causing uneven pad transfer.

Most likely cause in my opinion is coming to a stop at a junction for example & holding car on stinking hot brakes. This can create a hot spot causing some pad material to stick to the disc. (Check discs as this is usually visable as a feint pad shape mark). This will cause the disc to have minute high and low spots causing the vibration, which gets worse over time as the disc will wear unevenly.

Vented discs dont really warp anymore. Daz

s70rjw 29 March 2005 07:30 PM

The other thing to bear in mind is cleaning the hub surface before fitting the new discs. Any specks of dirt etc. will cause the new disc to judder. Bob