ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   underlaying on jap scoobies (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/410304-underlaying-on-jap-scoobies.html)

ThE_MysterY_MachinE 11 March 2005 03:50 PM

underlaying on jap scoobies

Does the jap scoobies need underlay coating to protect in from rusting??? or is it galvanized

thanks

CyprusScooby 11 March 2005 03:53 PM

Yeah Jap Imports need undersealed. It will cost you just under £100 to get done. I need to get mine done!

GC8 11 March 2005 03:53 PM

Waxoyle wont do any harm. Asking this question usually ends up with people squabbling about whats there. Im sure someone will state that JDM cars dont have any underseal; thats nonsense.

Simon

Harry_Boy 11 March 2005 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ThE_MysterY_MachinE
Does the jap scoobies need underlay coating to protect in from rusting??? or is it galvanized

thanks

Yeah - bit of Waxoyl or some old engine oil (if you can get your hands on any...).

Incidentally, I thought that underlay was what carpets had beneath them....

Either that, or it's what Speedy Gonzalez shouts...:D

ThE_MysterY_MachinE 11 March 2005 04:11 PM

yep your right underlay is the spongy stuff you put under your carpet.

engine oil ???? does that really work ???? which grade :-)!!!!

Harry_Boy 11 March 2005 04:14 PM

engine oil ???? does that really work ???? which grade :-)!!!!

Depends how high-revving your carpet is mate....:D

spec-cie 11 March 2005 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby
Yeah Jap Imports need undersealed. It will cost you just under £100 to get done. I need to get mine done!

How often should it be done? Got mine done when I bought it ... do I need to worry about re-doing it any time in the next few years?

ThE_MysterY_MachinE 11 March 2005 04:25 PM

on the topic of engine oil which grade and brand is good all rounder for wrx/sti???
mobil 1, Castrol??

Harry_Boy 11 March 2005 04:28 PM

Most people reckon Mobil 1 in its usual grades is too thin for a Scoob turbo engine. Plenty of archived stuff if you have a bit of a search mate.

Many main dealers seem to use GTX semi-synth. :)

ThE_MysterY_MachinE 11 March 2005 04:32 PM

5w 30w ???

Harry_Boy 11 March 2005 04:37 PM

5w 30w ???

Some dealers used to use 5W 30, but IIRC there was a Subaru UK bulletin a couple of years ago indicating that this was considered too thin.

10W 40 seems to be a consensus, though there's plenty of alternative wisdom around on here.... :Whatever_ :D

GC8 11 March 2005 05:27 PM

Lubrication answers here...

Simon

punkie 11 March 2005 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
Yeah - bit of Waxoyl or some old engine oil (if you can get your hands on any...).

Incidentally, I thought that underlay was what carpets had beneath them....

Either that, or it's what Speedy Gonzalez shouts...:D

Engine Oil, that's a new one on me.

So you put engine oil up under the wheel arches (where most of the water goes), it drips onto your tyres......and whollop, the first corner you come to
send's you into oblivion !!!!!!:iamwithst

Nah, i'll give that a miss .:Whatever_

washer 11 March 2005 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
Some dealers used to use 5W 30, but IIRC there was a Subaru UK bulletin a couple of years ago indicating that this was considered too thin.

10W 40 seems to be a consensus, though there's plenty of alternative wisdom around on here.... :Whatever_ :D

i use cheap min oil and change it every 3 thou no probs yet sti 5 :)

budgie55 11 March 2005 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by GC8

doh its not the kinda link I imagined :norty: :D

yet still full of useful information to keep your loved one protected on those long cold mornings :D

SPEN555 11 March 2005 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by punkie
Engine Oil, that's a new one on me.

So you put engine oil up under the wheel arches (where most of the water goes), it drips onto your tyres......and whollop, the first corner you come to
send's you into oblivion !!!!!!:iamwithst

Nah, i'll give that a miss .:Whatever_

I have to agree with Punkie. Harry_Boy that was a stupid suggestion. You know what a newby on here will go and do after buying their bargain scoob for sub £4k. ;)

Harry_Boy 12 March 2005 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by SPEN555
I have to agree with Punkie. Harry_Boy that was a stupid suggestion. You know what a newby on here will go and do after buying their bargain scoob for sub £4k. ;)

Yeah, but when they're upside down in a ditch, it'll be easy to prove that there's no rust on their wheel arches.... ;) :D

SPEN555 12 March 2005 12:10 AM

:D :D