ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   odd problem - suspecting the clutch but could do with opinions (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/410043-odd-problem-suspecting-the-clutch-but-could-do-with-opinions.html)

little_idiot 10 March 2005 06:51 PM

odd problem - suspecting the clutch but could do with opinions

well..............

for the past two weeks now, my car has started to make a funny noise, kinda like a resonating vibration (hard to describe really). This noise mainly comes in between 2500 and 4500 rpm in all gears regardless of if you are holding constant revs or accelerating. This noise cannot be simulated when the car is stationary and you hold the engine in that rev band or rev up to it.

just done a 50 mile drive from york and it seems to be getting worse. initially i thought it was something vibrating inside the dash as that seems to be the general area that the noise is coming from. This only really happens once the car has been driven for 5 minutes or so and gradually gets worse.

if the car is sat out of gear, the engine ticks over perfect, even when this annoying noise is happening, the car doesn't suffer any noticable driving problems.

any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated

also, it's a my99 uk turbo wagon

cheers

James

RON 10 March 2005 06:57 PM

Have a quick check of all the brake pipes that are clipped to the bulkhead, sometimes they get nudged and have been known to resonate at certain rpm's....

little_idiot 10 March 2005 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RON
Have a quick check of all the brake pipes that are clipped to the bulkhead, sometimes they get nudged and have been known to resonate at certain rpm's....

what do i need to be looking for with them to see if they are out of place?

bikerthou 10 March 2005 07:35 PM

the area around the clutch master cylinder there are several metal pipes that are held in place by plastic clips just try putting some foam around them to isolate them and see if it cures the problem they dont allways come unclipped to cause a noise

little_idiot 10 March 2005 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by bikerthou
the area around the clutch master cylinder there are several metal pipes that are held in place by plastic clips just try putting some foam around them to isolate them and see if it cures the problem they dont allways come unclipped to cause a noise

to do this, do i need to unclip them and put foam inside the clip so that there is a barrier between the clip and the pipe?

do these pipes get hot? would insulation like this cause any problems?

cheers

James

little_idiot 11 March 2005 09:13 AM

*bump*

any more ideas for me to look into
cheers

James

Roojai 11 March 2005 06:57 PM

The heat shields are prone to rattling - but the sound comes from engine bay, not from dash.

little_idiot 11 March 2005 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Roojai
The heat shields are prone to rattling - but the sound comes from engine bay, not from dash.

the dash is more the general direction of the sound, if that makes sense. it sounds like somehting that is being transmitted through the bulkhead.

I had a play about with the hard pipes from the clutch cylinder and other things in that general area and i think i've subtly changed the noise!

Think i'll get some form of sticky backed foam tomorrow and put it between all the pipes and the bulkhead and see what happens!

richie rich 11 March 2005 11:20 PM

MINE WAS LIKE AS YOU DISCRIBE, ended up bein the heat sheild next to oil filter!

little_idiot 12 March 2005 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by richie rich
MINE WAS LIKE AS YOU DISCRIBE, ended up bein the heat sheild next to oil filter!

cheers Richie, what year car is that on?

how did you fix it?

James

little_idiot 12 March 2005 11:44 AM

well i'm damned if i can find what's making the noise! it must be something that is just resonating somewhere as the car drives perfectly and doens't feel like it's having any problems, infact, having just changed my MAF 20 minutes ago, it feels better than it has done since i bought it a year a go

damn noise!

doens't help that it's a classic wagon either as the arse end of them rattle like mad!

James