ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Should I take this second job (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/409309-should-i-take-this-second-job.html)

Stueyb 08 March 2005 09:35 AM

Should I take this second job

Hi peeps,

Its just a simple one really. I have been offered a second job being on call for server problems and a bit of maintainance for another company.

The day to day work would take about an hour and a half and I could do it before I went to work as im always up early. I can do both my present job and this job because I will only be looking after the server between 7pm and 7am and the call out rate is very low, perhaps once a fortnight. As for remuneration, its ~ £450 a month to babysit the servers.

Only thing is wherever I go I will have to have a laptop and connection to hand.

Would you do it ? Thoughts ?

Cheers

Stu

boxst 08 March 2005 09:45 AM

Hello

You are breaking the contract of your main employer, and assuming the second job is a proper one (i.e. you have to pay tax) an astute accountant in your first company may find out from your tax code or declared earnings.

Having said that, I would probably take it.

Steve.

midget1500 08 March 2005 12:09 PM

i'd take it, but not for anything less than £452 a month :)

milo 08 March 2005 01:39 PM

depends how much u need the money, how much of a hassle it is to take a laptop everywhere and how much you're willing to risk your evenings etc. only u can decide that.

tbh id do it for the right money.. but £450 is not even in the right ballpark.

RB170 08 March 2005 01:47 PM

Not for £450 a month

Are you on call from 7pm to 7am 7 nights a week ?

Even if you look at it as £10ph then that's £120 a day, £600pw presuming you're only doing 5 days

Ask for £5ph (Macdonalds pays more) even that is £300pw £1200pm

Sub97 08 March 2005 01:47 PM

So you would be doing over 30 hours a month, plus being on call for only 450 quid? That's going to work out at about £300 or less after tax and NI. Is it worth it?

What hourly rate would you get for any call outs, or is that included in the £450?

To be honest mate, it sounds pretty low to me.

prodriva 08 March 2005 01:52 PM

Surely if you take on a second / evening job and self tax yourself on the additional earnings you make over your primary job your primary employer need never know and your tax code doesnt change?

darlodge 08 March 2005 02:01 PM

Like Milo said, depends if you need the money.

If you don't take it let me know, I need the money :rolleyes: ;)

Darren

Stueyb 08 March 2005 02:54 PM

Well NI and that is sorted *ahem*. As for the rate, ive been thinking, the cash would at least pay most of the mortgage. As for bieng on call. everything can be done remotely (well standard admin anyhow). I do see what your saying re: it works out less than McDs but then again, id just be drinking coffee and surfin the net before work. This means I have more spare cash for the weekend. I think im going with it. If I dont like it I can leave, I hope ;)

Turbohot 08 March 2005 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Would you do it ?
Stu

Why not? Do it!:)