ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   bar/plate v tube/fin (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/409293-bar-plate-v-tube-fin.html)

Peanuts 08 March 2005 08:34 AM

bar/plate v tube/fin

been looking at nasioc and would like to know the difference between the two types of i/c.
what is the preferred system?
merits of each?

Peanuts 08 March 2005 04:42 PM

no one care to comment?

PICKLE 08 March 2005 05:17 PM

I was always led to believe Bar/Plate is better??

Don't really know the tech reason why though :idea:

JIM THEO 08 March 2005 05:51 PM

Bar & plate better for flow, tube & fin better for heat absorption, a higher volume tube and fin is best choice IMHO as Sard, ARC or other Japanese brands.
JIM

Tone Loc 08 March 2005 07:06 PM

Bar/plate is also a bit heavier.. if weight concerns you. But they are generally a bit more robust that tube/fin.

Tony.

Peanuts 08 March 2005 07:08 PM

what about the flat4online £450 all in OBX front mount?
I think its bar/plate and seems plenty big enough.

could be tempted, of course there is Harvey's hybrids to consider as well

Tone Loc 08 March 2005 07:14 PM

I've spoke to Scott about his OBX, it appears to use the same core as the Apexi which is very well regarded. A good value for money option if you don't mind a bit of hassle fitting it.

How you seen the thread on NASIOC about fitting an OBX to a classic.... worth a read.

Tony.

stevebt 08 March 2005 07:48 PM

How you seen the thread on NASIOC about fitting an OBX to a classic.... worth a read
he is selling them in kit form for a classic shape and a new shape ;)

Delboy2 08 March 2005 09:45 PM

Bar and plate also has a lower pressure across it compared to a tube & fin ;)

Cheers

Peanuts 09 March 2005 07:31 AM

so are we saying its a good cooler at a good price then?

Tone Loc 09 March 2005 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by stevebt
he is selling them in kit form for a classic shape and a new shape ;)

No, the kit is the same as on NASIOC. They do NOT do a kit for the classic. If you speak to Scott he has all the info but the kit he sells, classic or newage is the one in the same. So reading the NASIOC thread will help if try to fit to a classic. To be honest there isn't much bodging to be done.

Tony.

Peanuts 09 March 2005 08:41 AM

got a link Tony?
ive been following
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/arch.../t-684213.html

Im aware of the flange needed for dumpvalve, but might not run one anyway :eek:

R19KET 09 March 2005 10:12 AM

The core seems to be quite small, compared to the Hybrid.

I believe the Hybrid core is 600 x 300 x 76mm. Front surface area is 1800cm2

The OBX is 500 x 225 x 63mm. Frontal area 1125cm2

"Surface area" is VERY important, and the Hybrid has over 50% more !

Mark.

Peanuts 09 March 2005 10:18 AM

good point Mark, except you are measuring volume there, by frontal area I assume you mean the square area of the face?

R19KET 09 March 2005 11:42 AM

except you are measuring volume there
I only actually multiplied 600 x 300 (1800) and 500 x 225 (1125).

Deep cores are not neccessarily a good thing, they are generally a compromise, when frontal surface area is limited, and the only way to get more volume, is by going deeper.

To give you a comparison, my FMIC core is only 50mm deep, but supports 550bhp + without problem.

Taking the Hybrid/OBX at "face value", I would expect the Hybrid to out perform the OBX.

"Reality" could be different though.

Mark.

Peanuts 09 March 2005 02:07 PM

sorry, didnt do the math ;)

Ive no doubts that the hybrid with its massive core is an excellent bit of kit capable of much, much more than this one, as is also the lateral kit ;)
, but for me at my paltry 400 target it should be sufficient, no?
Apexi rate the core to 500bhp max (obx), it could be a very good value stop gap that would allow future upgrade of the core (should the need ever arise) and in the meantime get me ready for SSO.
appreciate your comments/views...

Tone Loc 09 March 2005 07:29 PM

The link you have is the same one. Basically you need some mounting barckets for the core and cut/elongate the pipe from core to inlet as this is too small. You could just use a samco T for this and as the DV take off too.

The hybrid does have a very nice core size... but how much of that is covered by the bumper? The core actually sticks out lower than the bumper so the lower section of bumper covers the core and a section is above the bumper too so there is quite a bit of area not in air flow path. Be interesting to know what percentage that is. All the OBX core is directly in the air flow, but due to no ducting to just the core some air will take the easiest path and go round the side of the core.

Not much in it price wise... hybrid being about £125 more. As you say the Apexi core is rated to 500bhp so both should serve you well for 400bhp. Swings and roundabouts as they say.

If you go for the OBX let me know how you go on ;) .

Tony.