ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Time for new disks and pads (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/408732-time-for-new-disks-and-pads.html)

Nev_B 06 March 2005 08:56 AM

Time for new disks and pads

Time has come to replace worn out disks and pads on my MY99 UK spec Turbo.

What recommendations does everybody have from their experience. I cannot afford the lavish upgrades, so just want to get it done cheaply and effectively.

Like most, my driving is around town with spirited runs in the country on the twisties etc. So need something that will cope with that. No track days envisaged.

Over to you folks, so please feel free to put in your 2p worth. Also a note of where to buy from would be good.

Cheers

Nev

RB5DOCC 06 March 2005 12:54 PM

In much the same boat as you myself.

I'm looking at goodridge s/s brake hoses, better pads (DS2500) and standard disks.

My car is a MY99 with the 4 pots, cant see them not being able to cope anything i can throw at them on a day to day basis. I think some of these upgrades are far too expensive and a bit over kill for non track use.

However i do still want the best disks possible, as i dont believe they are all the same, there seems to be a great price difference even for standard disks.

Nev_B 06 March 2005 03:21 PM

Just priced up EBC Red pads and drilled/grooved disks all round, £430. A tad more than I can afford at the mo. Thanks for the pvt mail recommendation tho.

Any other thoughts?

Nev

banny sti 06 March 2005 03:59 PM

On ebay i have jus purchased black diamond grooved and drilled 294mm discs with matching pads for £220 and they are very good for the money.

Dr Scoob 08 March 2005 01:06 PM

In the same boat myself (MY00). Went for standard discs all round (not in it for the looks and since I don't do trackdays/really heavy use, grooved discs are a bit pointless for me), Pagids up front, OE+ rear, braided hoses and Motul 5.1. All in, ~£400 (plus fitting, this Friday :)) Speak to Alyn at AS Performance for advice - very helpful and excellent service!

Andy Tang 08 March 2005 01:15 PM

I'm in the market for new disks and pads on the front of hte Forester soon, but will probably look at Subaru 4 pots.

I found cheap disks and pads on www.camskill.co.uk

Goodridge braided hoses are cheap from www.raldes.co.uk

Hope this helps

Ray_li 08 March 2005 02:46 PM

me to. group buy :D

cefski 08 March 2005 03:13 PM

Have a look at Mintex pads - 1144's or 1155's (the 55's are intended for race/track use). They're a fair bit cheaper than Pagid and Ferodo (from the same company as Pagid, though) and work just as well. I've just fitted some 1155's up front, a full set of Goodridge hoses and filled up with AP Racing 551 DOT3 fluid. You should manage to get all this for between £160 and £180.

Made a huge difference.

kev

hoskib 08 March 2005 07:38 PM

got some Apec disks and pads going on weekend, disks were £90 pair(i think) from godspeed and the pads were about £30 in a group buy.

nothing fancy, but up to OE standard apparently which is ok for me:)

but if i don't post anymore after sat morning you'll know they're no good;)