ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Knocking from near side rear... (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/407161-knocking-from-near-side-rear.html)

Jamesemt 28 February 2005 04:22 PM

Knocking from near side rear...

Sorry, know that there are loads of similar threads but most of these seem to relate to offside and even then most are STis...

My 53 plate WRX has an intermittent knocking on the near side rear which sounds like a loose jack...but it isn't. It isn't the boot rattling either, as you have to really bang the boot lid to get it to shut.

I seem to remember a thread a couple of months ago mentioning some bracket that holds the window in???!!??

The main problem is that it is very intermittent and only audible when swinging left at low speed when the road is bumpy. Is there anything I can actually look at that will confirm the problem - I'm sure a dealer will tell me to bugger off as I can't replicate the noise all the time, and I'd have to drive a few miles cos I don't go anywere near the local dealer.

Phil Harrison 28 February 2005 04:33 PM

:(:(:(:(

We've had endless threads about just such a noise from '02 and '03 STiUKs. Of course, this may not be the same problem (but it sounds very similar): but you may care to run a search covering the last three years. Some, but not all, STiUKs were cured by new struts. I've not heard of it happening on a standard WRX, however. Not helpful, I'm afraid, but some possible ammunition for a strut replacement under warranty if the noise isn't simply cured by other means.

Cheers

Phil Harrison

davyboy 28 February 2005 04:43 PM

Do you have an after market exhaust?

Jamesemt 28 February 2005 04:47 PM

yep - a blitz...

davyboy 28 February 2005 04:54 PM

When it gets hot it expands and hits the back of the car when moving on the brackets would be my guess.

W 12 X T C 28 February 2005 06:11 PM

had this problem on my 03 sti. it was the struts. was replaced under warranty. have had no trouble since then.

bryan

Fizz 28 February 2005 06:13 PM

I would go with exhaust first, spare wheel second then suspect a top mount on a strut...

Bodgery 28 February 2005 08:18 PM

Just something else to check - mine's an STI03, after the prodrive springs were fitted i got the noise you're talking about. It was traced to the springs not being fitted correctly - not rotated to the correct position and "sticking" when they were compressed. As the decompressed, they made the noise.

Good luck with tracking the problem down.

Woody1 17 March 2005 07:31 PM

I got this noise when I had Prodrive springs fitted. They were fitted wrong, but this was corrected by my dealer. Didn't cure the problem though. I have just had new shocks fitted at Prosport, but the knock hasn't gone away. Noise is definitely coming from under the car, not around the window or anything.

Anyone any suggestions ????

ThrustSSC 17 March 2005 07:57 PM

Well, hate to say: "Me, too!", but... "Me, too!" :( Mine is an MY03 STi with Prodrive springs.

My dealer says it's common and I need some spacers fitting in suspension top mounts as a fix - they'll do them at the next service.

I'm a bit concerned about the reports it might be wrongly-fitted Prodrive springs - mine were done by Powerstation in Cheltenham and I thought those boys knew what they were doing!

Ayde 17 March 2005 08:05 PM

May be the rear ARB bush, my classic was doing this from when I got it (had done 13k miles and was 3 years old). I just thought it was something in the boot, it was only when I fitted the Eibachs and Whiteline droplinks it seemed to increase the noise slightly and it really started getting on my nerves. £5 and 20 minutes under the car and the noise had gone:)
I know your WRX is a lot newer but mine had very low mileage on it when it was doing it and as I new the car from brand new (bought off a family member) I new that it had never been driven hard or had any accidents. For £5 it would be worth doing just to rule the bushes out.

If you have a look on the SIDC FAQ it says this was a common problem on the WRX (imagine that will be refering to the JDM classic).

Woody1 17 March 2005 08:06 PM

I had the top mount mod fitted after the springs were corrected, but it never cured the problem. Never had a sound with the standard springs on. Just had the geometry redone as well due to the amount of messing that has took place with the suspension. Have to say the car feels absolutely superb now. Handling was shocking before. Just that damn knocking sound at the back as though somethings gonna fall off !!

Neil

rotty 17 March 2005 11:19 PM

My STi did it , the dealer referred to a list of recommendations that IM said they had to do before replacing the strut , but he said they wouldn't fix it and so replaced the strut , all fine now :)

Jamesemt 18 March 2005 08:40 AM

Why the feck has this been moved to suspension?? It's not a bloody suspension problem, OK?? It had been in general for a couple of weeks, and some bloody over-eager mod decides to move it :mad:

anc-sti 18 March 2005 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
Why the feck has this been moved to suspension?? It's not a bloody suspension problem, OK?? It had been in general for a couple of weeks, and some bloody over-eager mod decides to move it :mad:

I think you'll find it is more than likely a Leaky damper Suspension problem. Its well known and I guess thats why its been moved here.:)

Jamesemt 18 March 2005 09:32 AM

I THINK i've sorted the problem - it looks like the exhaust was catching the bumper...

anc-sti 18 March 2005 09:33 AM

Good for you!!:D

RB170 18 March 2005 10:52 AM

It's the struts, they suck basically

Or NOT :D

gene1 18 March 2005 02:45 PM

hi
Jesus,wish id seen this thread earlier,i have the same kind of clonking alos on the o/s/r on my99.
Always had a little clock when going down the roads,but then put some coilovers on few months back and it has got worse.Wnt to moto x and had to go real slow down a lane for about a mile and ended up a pool of sweat,at low speed over bumps,me and my son seriouslt thought the rear wsa about to drop off.
Doesnt happen on motorway but only bumps,wouldve put it down to coilovers if it hadnt done it on standard shocks.But must say it has enhanced it greatly with coilovers,might try and take the coilover off and see if spring is in correctly cos its doing my head in.
Regards
Gene