ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Changes Sti7 and 8 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/405908-changes-sti7-and-8-a.html)

compshack 24 February 2005 08:09 AM

Changes Sti7 and 8

I know ones a bugeye, and the other a blob there cosmetic changes, but I think the ecu on the 8 is better? Are the engines fundimentally the same.
What other changes are there.
Is one easier to tune than the other etc.

MikeWood 24 February 2005 08:48 AM

compshack

Are we talking 01MY STi (JDM) compared to an 02STi (JDM or EU) or are we talking 02MY STi (EU) compared to an 03MY STi (EU)? If we are being correct about using numbers, they are both 'blobeyes'

Sorry to be pedantic but this STi7/8 ******** is too confusing as whoever called them that first based it on a complete lack of understanding of the various models.....

Mike

monty baber 24 February 2005 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MikeWood
compshack

Are we talking 01MY STi (JDM) compared to an 02STi (JDM or EU) or are we talking 02MY STi (EU) compared to an 03MY STi (EU)? If we are being correct about using numbers, they are both 'blobeyes'

Sorry to be pedantic but this STi7/8 ******** is too confusing as whoever called them that first based it on a complete lack of understanding of the various models.....

Mike

I think the question is bugs-blobs, uk cars versions 7-8

MikeWood 24 February 2005 09:12 AM

monty

That's my point, if we must use numbers, there was no UK STi7.

STi7 is 01MY which is JDM only.

The sooner we stop all this ridiculous STi7/8/9 number thing, the better we will all understand what we are talking about.

Mike

p1doc 24 February 2005 09:15 AM

go for tsl 333(only joking)-i think the 02uk sti is piggyback while 03 is generally remap,not too sure re engines but i think the turbo changed from vf34 to vf35 as well
martin

monty baber 24 February 2005 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by MikeWood
monty

That's my point, if we must use numbers, there was no UK STi7.

STi7 is 01MY which is JDM only.

The sooner we stop all this ridiculous STi7/8/9 number thing, the better we will all understand what we are talking about.

Mike

Ok mate, did'nt mean offence

Just trying to clarify the question asked in this thread which imo was the difference between bugeye sti's and blob sti's

To be fair this thread did'nt deserve to be hijacked and sent in a "wrong use of version numbers" direction

shall we respect the original post and turn a blind eye to the wording

:)

MikeWood 24 February 2005 09:50 AM

No offence taken, having the right description would enable answering the question accurately though ;) :) :) It had to happen on one thread and this happened to be the one....

There are a few engine changes between 02MY and 03MY UK STi but these are relatively minor. The ECU spec is slightly different as well, with the later cars having more functionality built into the ECU. For example it would be possible to run an 03MY car on an 02MY ECU or ROM file but not the other way round without a CEL. The biggest difference as far as tuning goes is that an 03MY STi has a bigger scoop which helps with high speed cooling of the intercooler. There are chassis differences as well but these won't affect how fast it goes in a straight line!!

Mike

Josh L 24 February 2005 11:33 AM

Never mind Mike, just keep taking the tablets, and I'm sure you'll be ok.

Josh
(STi9.5 owner)

Phil Harrison 24 February 2005 11:44 AM

By way of clarification of a previous post, I'm right (am I not Mike?) to say that some, but not all, 02 STiUKs had a piggyback board for their PPP, whereas later-fitted 02s and all 03s have the single board.

Phil

MikeWood 24 February 2005 12:45 PM

Phil

That is correct :)

Mike

See, it's much easier when we refer to the cars by model year ;)

AndyC_772 24 February 2005 01:02 PM

Hm... MikeWood = greasemonkey? :D

Andy
(JDM STI 11 owner!)

Phil Harrison 24 February 2005 01:48 PM

ROTFLMAO @ Andy :D:D:D:D

Phil

compshack 24 February 2005 07:16 PM

Thanks Mike, It's nice to hear direct from the horse's mouth (so to speak) No offence with the STi 7 and 8 thing. We all know what you mean, I just used that because even though it's the wrong terminology most people on here identify them as such.
So back to the subject what you saying is that most of the car is similar. The later ECU's had a re-map as apposed to an ecu piggy back on the 02 sti for PPP. The reson I'm asking is you can get a good 02 STi for little money and it's really the same as an 03 but not as pretty.

GC8 24 February 2005 07:18 PM

Greasemonkey may have been better qualified to comment on Subarus on PS/2 games than on real ones but he was right about some things.....

Model numbering
Dump valves
Oil change procedure and:
Harness and roll cages in road-going cars

:)

highlander68k 24 February 2005 07:33 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had a caning by Mike this week. ;)

:cry:

Deep Singh 24 February 2005 07:47 PM

Mike, do you know when the STi10 is coming out?

AndyC_772 24 February 2005 08:06 PM

The only meaningful, consistent way to number them would be:

MY99 = STI 5
MY00 = STI 6
MY01 = STI 7
MY02 = STI 8
MY03 = STI 9
MY04 = STI 10
MY05 = STI 11

davedipster 24 February 2005 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by compshack
Thanks Mike, It's nice to hear direct from the horse's mouth (so to speak) No offence with the STi 7 and 8 thing. We all know what you mean, I just used that because even though it's the wrong terminology most people on here identify them as such.
So back to the subject what you saying is that most of the car is similar. The later ECU's had a re-map as apposed to an ecu piggy back on the 02 sti for PPP. The reson I'm asking is you can get a good 02 STi for little money and it's really the same as an 03 but not as pretty.

Seen 02sti's with ppp going for 17k at dealers, with low mileage 14k. bargin!

Dipster

Deep Singh 24 February 2005 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
The only meaningful, consistent way to number them would be:

MY99 = STI 5
MY00 = STI 6
MY01 = STI 7
MY02 = STI 8
MY03 = STI 9
MY04 = STI 10
MY05 = STI 11

Not really,as my 'STi7' was made in Oct00

So MiKe Wood,can you tell us when the ST12 is due and its spec?

TonyBurns 24 February 2005 09:44 PM

Andy has gone by the model year though, which starts in september.
New car..... well lets see ;) should be interesting what they will bring out in japan, though i think the uk will still see the same 260ps car for the time being.

Tony:D

AndyC_772 24 February 2005 09:46 PM

Yep - every MY is launched towards the end of the previous year, which is how I managed to have an MY05 in Oct '04. It's the Americans you want to worry about, they think they're on MY06 already!