ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   unleaded, optimax, ultimate (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/405736-unleaded-optimax-ultimate.html)

bullet benjy 23 February 2005 04:30 PM

unleaded, optimax, ultimate

I currently own a my 99 impreza (uk car). Since i bought it i have been running it on normal unleaded as that is what the previous owner ran it on. Would i get any noticeable gains from banging optimax or that ultimate juice in it. And would it be safe to do so ???
cheers guys.
see you all at elvington in may if ya going.

s70rjw 23 February 2005 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by bullet benjy
I currently own a my 99 impreza (uk car). Since i bought it i have been running it on normal unleaded as that is what the previous owner ran it on. Would i get any noticeable gains from banging optimax or that ultimate juice in it. And would it be safe to do so ???
cheers guys.
see you all at elvington in may if ya going.

I tried all different fuels in my MY00 UK wagon..Super unleaded/optimax made no difference. Runs best on Shell 95RON Hull Rd Shell matches Teco/Asda price most of the time. What colour is your Scoob and where in York are you? Bob

rickj 23 February 2005 05:03 PM

In my 03 WRX I try to use Shell Optimax as a rule simply because 98 RON feels the best, it runs smoother and the acceleration seems sharper.

I heard from someone that said if you continually use 95 RON the car's ECU will adjust accordingly and you will lose some performance. I don't know if this is true, it sounds like a shaggy dog story to me because my manual says you can use 95 RON or 98 RON.

I stick with Optimax though. My mate puts Sainsburys Super Unleaded in his TT and swears by it, this is usually a lot cheaper than the Shell Optimax.

Cheers,

RickJ.

bullet benjy 23 February 2005 05:20 PM

cheers guys for the advice. I live in dunnington, near grimston round-about.
SILVER IMPREZA, PRODRIVE SPOILER, OZ'S (my pride and joy)
Where you at Bob ?????

RRH 23 February 2005 05:24 PM

Does the MY03 not have a sticker inside the petrol filler along the lines of 'use 98 ron fuel' ?

Adam M 23 February 2005 05:27 PM

fill up with optimax, reset your ecu by disconnecting your battery then reconnect and go for an hour drive.

With 3 extra ron points your ecu should be able to run more advance meaning it will feel stronger than it did before.

I wouldnt bother with BP ultimate. My preference would be for optimax and possibly though the ron rating is lower, esso super above that!

pete1977 23 February 2005 05:33 PM

i wouldnt put that filth that supermarkets sell into my car.optimax everytime!

s70rjw 23 February 2005 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by bullet benjy
cheers guys for the advice. I live in dunnington, near grimston round-about.
SILVER IMPREZA, PRODRIVE SPOILER, OZ'S (my pride and joy)
Where you at Bob ?????

Haxby. DBM wagon de tango'd. I'll look out for you. Bob

jrscooby 23 February 2005 09:47 PM

optimax everytime.

better performance - better economy.