ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   out for a spin (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/405286-out-for-a-spin.html)

hummelsubaru 22 February 2005 03:39 AM

out for a spin

heavy snowing out there and thought to go out for a spin just now. 4wd scooby i thought is difficult to drift even in slippery ground, not really successful, lol. anyone did it aswell 2day?

Scoobyhummel

scooby-si 22 February 2005 04:28 AM

been doing do-nuts in the wifes pajero at 330am after i finished work lol nice when you can go from 4wd to 2wd:D

AvalancheS8 22 February 2005 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by hummelsubaru
heavy snowing out there and thought to go out for a spin just now. 4wd scooby i thought is difficult to drift even in slippery ground, not really successful, lol. anyone did it aswell 2day?

Scoobyhummel

I've noticed that the Scooby only seems to want to go sideways on snow while you are driving about normally.I've had a few sideways moments over the last few days during normal driving, even when being careful, but when I took it to an empty car park on Saturday, it just produced big understeery four wheel drifts.

automodellistagt 22 February 2005 09:16 AM

clutch kick it, that will get it sideways ;)

Baggers 22 February 2005 09:22 AM

Those fat tyres don't help with those unexpected non grippy moments. Just started snowing here on the south coast, humungus flakes about an inch across! Either that or somebody has crashed a Robin Reliant around the corner.

New_scooby_04 22 February 2005 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by AvalancheS8
I've noticed that the Scooby only seems to want to go sideways on snow while you are driving about normally.I've had a few sideways moments over the last few days during normal driving, even when being careful, but when I took it to an empty car park on Saturday, it just produced big understeery four wheel drifts.

That's probably because you're being more agressive with the power when you're trying to get the car to slide. Remember that 4wd only affords traction advantages i.e. helps you put the power down. When you're driving about on the road normally you're most likely, quite sensibly, taking it very easy on the loud pedal to avoid loss of traction. However, should this occur under normal driving in slipperly conditions, simply coming off the power, perversely, may be negating the traction advantage of the 4wd when it could be helping you.

Now, i'm not advocating that you start deliberately trying this on the road!!! However, if you do find an empty car park, it might pay to try some sensible experimentation with recovering from a slip by modulating the throttle rather than just trying to do doughnuts etc..... You never know when you might be glad you practiced!

Regards.

Poor Guy 22 February 2005 06:37 PM

I was donuting my triumph this morning at 3am. kickass!

scoobydooooo 22 February 2005 06:50 PM

well i'm not because we have no snow at all !!!!

hummelsubaru 22 February 2005 09:15 PM

sad to hear that. u know, its big fun and here, still snowing, lol. i am gonna do some big experimentation 2nit with mate (180sx), wish me luck...

captain ted 22 February 2005 10:24 PM

Thought my Scoob was a magical car till I tw@tted a kerb on Sunday at 10 mph in ice!

Nicci 23 February 2005 10:15 AM

It is really annoying when the car drifts when you don't want it to.

Where is the nice non gritted car park to experiment on..lol